• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
It just goes to prove how crucial outside investment can be to the state associations that academies could be utilised a whole lot better to be able to get onto some of these kids. DeGoey is a fantastic example.I know i've seen the same thing here in WA with some of the kids running around playing AFL that don't quite fit the mold but could certainly function in a rugby side.
One thing I've really liked about the SRau is that a lot of younger guys are getting a game and lo and behold they look bloody good.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It just goes to prove how crucial outside investment can be to the state associations that academies could be utilised a whole lot better to be able to get onto some of these kids. DeGoey is a fantastic example.I know i've seen the same thing here in WA with some of the kids running around playing AFL that don't quite fit the mold but could certainly function in a rugby side.
One thing I've really liked about the SRau is that a lot of younger guys are getting a game and lo and behold they look bloody good.
I do think we need a program to reintroduce those to rugby who go play other sports.

The AFL does this so well Alex Keath was an AIS footballer left to play cricket. Tom Willson was an AIS footballer who left to play basketball and has come back

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
To'omua & Perry have split. There goes my hope for their child to be the sporting messiah that saves Aus Rugby. Impressed with To'omua’s performance on Friday then with all this going on in the background. Hope he’s doing okay and that this doesn’t affect his desire to stay in Melbourne.

Edit: looks like it happened in February and not recently.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
It looks like Rangi, Cotterell, Jones, and Potter have all already been released, but...

Does anyone know what has become of these guys?

Declan Moore
Gideon Koegelenberg
Mees Erasmus
Ruan Smith
Tom English

I did hear some time back that Engo was still in Melbourne and not with the squad but haven't heard or seen anything of the others.
English is in Melbourne, Ruan Smith and Moore are with the team in NSW (seen in Rebs FB pics), havent seen Erasmus or the big K, i'd think the latter has gone home to SAf. Rangi was injured but may have been released early.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
English is in Melbourne, Ruan Smith and Moore are with the team in NSW (seen in Rebs FB pics), havent seen Erasmus or the big K, i'd think the latter has gone home to SAf. Rangi was injured but may have been released early.
Cotterell, like Tommy, stuck in Melbourne for some reason.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Gives us a chance to unleash Hodge in his natural position. IMO, he plays his best footy at FB.

Good point, we need alternate options for fullback at test level, and whilst Hodge is an athlete I still don't really understand where his skill fits in a Wallaby backline.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Gives us a chance to unleash Hodge in his natural position. IMO, he plays his best footy at FB.

Absolutely agree that Hodge is a fullback. It's clearly his best position but he's also pretty decent at inside centre. Moving him to 15 now though means a complete reshuffle of the backline. I think leaving him at 13 and moving Kellaway to 15 would be a lot less disruptive.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Good point, we need alternate options for fullback at test level, and whilst Hodge is an athlete I still don't really understand where his skill fits in a Wallaby backline.

I love hodgey in jersey 23 in gold. Allows a 6-2 split, which I think we may especially need this year with a dearth of experienced locking options but some exciting backrowers to rotate through.