• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

Mr Serious

Peter Burge (5)
Unfortunately didn't get around to any games this weekend but sounded like a great weekend of schoolboy rugby with Waves showing some great sportsmanship in their relatively easy win, not looking too good for trinity with two losses back to back at Summer hill. Heard Cranners and Knox was a cracking game with Knox securing a win thanks to their 15 who I hear was a standout, plenty of opportunities were there for Cranners but the errors lost them the game. Will try to get out to some schoolboy rugby this weekend coming, could someone send the fixtures through cheers.

Mr S :)

Barkerdad101

Frank Row (1)
Rubbish, there are only 2 that also play league,many more,like about 8 of the 1sts play union on a Sunday for Randwick.
Most other schools also have a few imports which is often forgotten.

If you are trying to suggest that's why Barker lost, incorrect, in fact the Waves should have won by more, and there are a number of boys in this years 1sts who were in the 16as last year, most of the pack and a few backs.

So we also look froward to next year as well, but as those who have followed this years year 11 age group, they would already know that this group had been together for many years, so no more talk about imports in the 2021 team.

I'm not saying anything about the Barker game. That is done as far as I am concerned. I have heard that 14/15 players from Waverley's team last year were non-ATAR students. Waverley went no where near beating Aloys in u13s - u15s and only won in u16's when all of the importing occurred. I recall it used to be mainly between Aloys, Trinity and Knox. Also, over the last 6 years in the 1st XV, It is 3-3 between Aloys and Waverley. My point is that this talk about relegation is ridiculous. This year at Aloys was a great team until injuries and GPS poaching took hold. Aloys seems to be the only team doing their footy all legit at the moment. You can see some absolute standout players in the team: 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15. But when injuries take out the rest, it is hard for them to show it. CAS has always been an incredibly competitive competition and it is immature to think that after 1 bad season there is a need to change it.

Des Hasler

Frank Row (1)
Rubbish, there are only 2 that also play league,many more,like about 8 of the 1sts play union on a Sunday for Randwick.
Most other schools also have a few imports which is often forgotten.

If you are trying to suggest that's why Barker lost, incorrect, in fact the Waves should have won by more, and there are a number of boys in this years 1sts who were in the 16as last year, most of the pack and a few backs.

So we also look froward to next year as well, but as those who have followed this years year 11 age group, they would already know that this group had been together for many years, so no more talk about imports in the 2021 team.

Haha! 2 to the power of 3 WLF! I've just had a little look at the team lists from the Barker game, I can count 8.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not saying anything about the Barker game. That is done as far as I am concerned. I have heard that 14/15 players from Waverley's team last year were non-ATAR students. Waverley went no where near beating Aloys in u13s - u15s and only won in u16's when all of the importing occurred. I recall it used to be mainly between Aloys, Trinity and Knox. Also, over the last 6 years in the 1st XV, It is 3-3 between Aloys and Waverley. My point is that this talk about relegation is ridiculous. This year at Aloys was a great team until injuries and GPS poaching took hold. Aloys seems to be the only team doing their footy all legit at the moment. You can see some absolute standout players in the team: 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15. But when injuries take out the rest, it is hard for them to show it. CAS has always been an incredibly
competitive competition and it is immature to think that after 1 bad season there is a need to change it.

Who cares how many boys are doing an ATAR, not everyone should or can go to Uni etc,and if they did it would be a worry.
I bet there are also boys doing an ATAR who probably shouldn't, but all that should have nothing to do with Rugby.

As has been aptly pointed out by Snort and others, it is NOT all about the strength of just the 1sts that's important, it is about a schools commitment to Rugby and it's program.

My thoughts surround the future of the CAS Rugby comp.
Unfortunately some schools are losing numbers so quickly that they will really struggle going forward. Case in hand, Aloys have only 2 teams in the youngest age group, 13s, other schools have many more, so it's not hard to see what may well happen as this age group progresses. Aloys has only 12 teams across all age groups,all of whom get soundly beaten pretty much every week AND they are often matched against lower graded teams in the same age group.

A divisional competition, across some/all age groups, is not ridiculous, it makes real sense if you want teams of similar ability to match up each week. The other KEY point is about safety.
Last Sat we saw uncontested scrums in 1sts Aloys/Waves game, which says it all, and the scores in almost every game age game were horrendous.

If any school decides to significantly beef up its focus on Academia, and that's fine if it chooses to, but as a consequence. what will more than likely happen is an effect somewhere else because it is now attracting a different type of parent/ student. It is also not just because Aloys is smaller than the other CAS schools, that has always been the case, it's when you have the same number of students in year 7, as always, and you get 2 Rugby teams and 6 Soccer teams in the 13s.
This situation is already well documented in a number of GPS schools.

I am an Aloys fan with many nephews and cousins either there now or old boys, this situation applies to any school with these traits. I would also think that all boys, and parents, would much rather prefer an even contest than getting thumped most weeks.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Haha! 2 to the power of 3 WLF! I've just had a little look at the team lists from the Barker game, I can count 8.

No, you can't count boys who have ever played league, I am saying who currently play league now.
The VAST majority play Union for Randwick on Sundays, FACT.

A hell of a lot of boys have played league in their lives across ALL schools.

If they play both codes who cares, and who cares what team they play/played for.

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
No, you can't count boys who have ever played league, I am saying who currently play league now.
The VAST majority play Union for Randwick on Sundays, FACT.

A hell of a lot of boys have played league in their lives across ALL schools.

If they play both codes who cares, and who cares what team they play/played for.

WLF,

I have been waiting a long time to use this trophy which I have uncovered when searching through the Green and Gold forum trophy guidelines (I do this in my spare time at work). With some of your recent comments I think this is well deserved. At the end of the month you may pass it on (I recommend to Hasbeen, he was also in close consideration but you just edged him). Enjoy it.

MP (Moana Pasifika)
Screen%20Shot%202020-07-27%20at%206.37.23%20pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.37.23 pm.png

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF,

I have been waiting a long time to use this trophy which I have uncovered when searching through the Green and Gold forum trophy guidelines (I do this in my spare time at work). With some of your recent comments I think this is well deserved. At the end of the month you may pass it on (I recommend to Hasbeen, he was also in close consideration but you just edged him). Enjoy it.

MP (Moana Pasifika)
Screen%20Shot%202020-07-27%20at%206.37.23%20pm.png

View attachment 11670

Ha, Cheers and thanks MP (Moana Pasifika), accepted!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
All in good humour WLF! Took it well, unlike some other snowflakes on these forums.

MP (Moana Pasifika)

Very funny MP (Moana Pasifika), it is just all banter, some of which makes sense.
Your lunchtimes must be pretty boring!

Will we see you at QP for the last game v Trinity, should be a beauty, particularly in the pigs.

Barkerdad101

Frank Row (1)
Who cares how many boys are doing an ATAR, not everyone should or can go to Uni etc,and if they did it would be a worry.
I bet there are also boys doing an ATAR who probably shouldn't, but all that should have nothing to do with Rugby.

As has been aptly pointed out by Snort and others, it is NOT all about the strength of just the 1sts that's important, it is about a schools commitment to Rugby and it's program.

My thoughts surround the future of the CAS Rugby comp.
Unfortunately some schools are losing numbers so quickly that they will really struggle going forward. Case in hand, Aloys have only 2 teams in the youngest age group, 13s, other schools have many more, so it's not hard to see what may well happen as this age group progresses. Aloys has only 12 teams across all age groups,all of whom get soundly beaten pretty much every week AND they are often matched against lower graded teams in the same age group.

A divisional competition, across some/all age groups, is not ridiculous, it makes real sense if you want teams of similar ability to match up each week. The other KEY point is about safety.
Last Sat we saw uncontested scrums in 1sts Aloys/Waves game, which says it all, and the scores in almost every game age game were horrendous.

If any school decides to significantly beef up its focus on Academia, and that's fine if it chooses to, but as a consequence. what will more than likely happen is an effect somewhere else because it is now attracting a different type of parent/ student. It is also not just because Aloys is smaller than the other CAS schools, that has always been the case, it's when you have the same number of students in year 7, as always, and you get 2 Rugby teams and 6 Soccer teams in the 13s.
This situation is already well documented in a number of GPS schools.

I am an Aloys fan with many nephews and cousins either there now or old boys, this situation applies to any school with these traits. I would also think that all boys, and parents, would much rather prefer an even contest than getting thumped most weeks.

Ok, the reason that I have heard for the uncontested scrums is that 5 front rowers have been injured in this season. Also, teams should have only been doing scrum training from 1 July according to Covid restrictions - certainly not enough time to train for a scrums. No schools should be doing scrums. Waverley's team fluctuates in its skill just as much as Aloys does.

Not to mention how at a Schoolboy Level tiering is impractical as a team can completely change over two years. CAS is a very competitive competition and it would be foolish to change it. The focus of CAS rugby should be on the boys. You can't deny the fact that certain schools do import players. Removing that part of the situation would make a very even competition, better for everyone. Aloys should not be punished for following the rules. Relegation is not the answer.

ZHC

Peter Burge (5)
Does anyone know what is happening with Opens schoolboy reps this year?

Is there none at all? Or are they choosing merit teams perhaps for both CAS and GPS? Picking a fair merit Australian Schoolboys team would be impossible?

Assume the same will be for the 16s age group too.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)

Thought this would be a treat, barkers 6ths vs Knox 7ths highlights video this is what footy is about

The game is not just about the brilliant kids but the Boys who just want to have a go and may not be naturally talented but are out there on the paddock and into it as best they can. This video is brilliant. Loved it.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Occasionally at the higher levels of the sport there are a couple of teams which present the best possible one can see in Schoolboy Rugby. In 2017 it was the Barker v Waves match at Waitara. Probably the best game of schoolboy Rugby I have ever seen. In each year, however, at the lower levels in the 4ths and lower occasionally a team is presented which is worth following as it represents the real meaning of the game. The team may contain a few talented players playing down for whatever reason with the rest that are there for the sheer enjoyment of the sport. These teams can produce results out of the ordinary and Rugby which is highly entertaining. My point is this - dont just focus on the firsts. Find those teams in your school which are the pearls. I am sure each school in each year has them. And - in the current season - it is fantastic to see what Waves did with Aloys. That was Rugby. It is so much more than whatever team wins the shield. And lets hope next year we can actually watch the game and support our schools

schnippsy

Frank Row (1)
Occasionally at the higher levels of the sport there are a couple of teams which present the best possible one can see in Schoolboy Rugby. In 2017 it was the Barker v Waves match at Waitara. Probably the best game of schoolboy Rugby I have ever seen. In each year, however, at the lower levels in the 4ths and lower occasionally a team is presented which is worth following as it represents the real meaning of the game. The team may contain a few talented players playing down for whatever reason with the rest that are there for the sheer enjoyment of the sport. These teams can produce results out of the ordinary and Rugby which is highly entertaining. My point is this - dont just focus on the firsts. Find those teams in your school which are the pearls. I am sure each school in each year has them. And - in the current season - it is fantastic to see what Waves did with Aloys. That was Rugby. It is so much more than whatever team wins the shield. And lets hope next year we can actually watch the game and support our schools

I’d love to point out Hasbeen, as a loyal Barker fan myself, I’ve heard the 4th XV are the team to watch. With an absolute killer forward pack, the prime star of whom is Levi Evans, gaining his first ever meat pie in their victory over the Trinity 3rds, they’re very hard to stop. Their back line is where the real magic happens playing some flowing footy that is real poetry in motion, until they drop the ball of course. Colloquially known as the ‘Chaplains XV’ they’re coming off the back of consecutive victories against the Waverley 4ths and Trinity 3rds, with great things to come.
Much love xx

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
The game is not just about the brilliant kids but the Boys who just want to have a go and may not be naturally talented but are out there on the paddock and into it as best they can. This video is brilliant. Loved it.

Excellent viewing Hasbeen,

The boys have a go!

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree Hasbeen, but watch out, Mr Pooper is watching and he has special awards he hands out!

Let's call it the Poop award!

Haha, the Poop award, I like it! I'm looking to give out 'Waffler of the Month' to the member who spits out the most waffle on these forums. I'll be keeping a close eye ;).

P.S - You will see me at QP come game time. Some expected rain so expect to see me with my trusty Waratahs umbrella (although I'm almost ashamed to use it due to recent performances). To be honest I really can't see Waves losing this one, but I'm sure that the green wall aren't going to be a pushover. Should be some quality footy, much better watching it live then on the computer during lunch break!

MP (Moana Pasifika)

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Haha, the Poop award, I like it! I'm looking to give out 'Waffler of the Month' to the member who spits out the most waffle on these forums. I'll be keeping a close eye ;).

P.S - You will see me at QP come game time. Some expected rain so expect to see me with my trusty Waratahs umbrella (although I'm almost ashamed to use it due to recent performances). To be honest I really can't see Waves losing this one, but I'm sure that the green wall aren't going to be a pushover. Should be some quality footy, much better watching it live then on the computer during lunch break!

MP (Moana Pasifika)

It's not this weekend, when rain is forecast, but hopefully holds off.
It's the following Sat Aug 15.

If you come this weekend to QP having been informed, we will have to invent an even better award!

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
It's not this weekend, when rain is forecast, but hopefully holds off.
It's the following Sat Aug 15.

If you come this weekend to QP having been informed, we will have to invent an even better award!

I'd almost go to QP on a weekday at 3:15 just to soak up the glory of the place! Can't get enough. Got my fixtures mixed up, must be the stress of the season ending, the thought of the off-season gets to me.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thought this would be a treat, barkers 6ths vs Knox 7ths highlights video this is what footy is about
Thank you for posting that wonderful game. Enjoyed every pass, tackle, hit up, fight; the whole enchilada.
I particularly like the "It's 4 on 2 but I'm not going to pass" moment.
Looks like all involved had a lot of good stories to tell later.
Most appropriate music too.