• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

B

Bobby Sands

The sad thing in this all is there’s no official story. (Is there still time for burnt bridges to be rebuilt?)

Really sucks the couriermail parted ways with Jim Tucker.

I’d really like to know the full story on yet another chapter of this fallout with Piccone and the reds

BT unofficially commented on it by saying, “we only want players who want to be here.”

B

Bobby Sands

Reesjan is suited to a centre. But Isaac Henry has some good flyhalf skills that could be developed. I’d take Issac.

This Reesjan to centre is a theory that started here, and while I can see that, I have no evidence he won’t be a 10 at professional level.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
The story I heard was that Gordon had moved on from Picone, gone to Dallan Murphy.

Then Piccone went to Dave Wessels and negotiated a deal for a player he didn't manage.

Then Picone used that deal to entice Gordon back to him.

The Australian is reporting the story exactly as you described today with mention of the guaranteed starting spot. Sam Cordingly not happy about the Piccone involvement.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The Australian is reporting the story exactly as you described today with mention of the guaranteed starting spot. Sam Cordingly not happy about the Piccone involvement.
Read the article this morning, Rebels are declining to comment , but reports of a promised starting spot just seems bonkers . You would be crazy to guarantee anyone a starting jersey, yet alone a young 10 unproven at Super level.

First crack at 10 in the preseason trials maybe , anything else would be nuts.

On a brighter note the same article mentions Zane Nonggor’s possible début and how Scott Johnson has nominated him as a 2023 WRC squad contender.

Go big Zane !
( although if the last few games are anything to go by he will be unlikely to get on the field with TT playing 80mins )

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)

Multiple disappointing elements, one of the most acute being that somehow cordingly has made himself part of the furniture at QRU. His contracting and list management has been diabolical for 8 years, and second hand reports of his two-faced behaviour in contract negotiations lead me to believe that Picone is not the only dud pelican involved in getting the right players into the Reds. The whole process is a ghastly mess.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Multiple disappointing elements, one of the most acute being that somehow cordingly has made himself part of the furniture at QRU. His contracting and list management has been diabolical for 8 years, and second hand reports of his two-faced behaviour in contract negotiations lead me to believe that Picone is not the only dud pelican involved in getting the right players into the Reds. The whole process is a ghastly mess.

??The same Pelican that has this thread raving about the long term contracts (almost) everyone is signed on??? Many of which are very high potential individuals.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Just imagine hoe good we'd be without his shit list management! What a joke.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
To be fair even though Cordingly May have turned a corner and looks like a good GM.

He did have a lot of critics previously.

I’m not going to give him the credit he is due, rather say this is more around Brad Thorn for setting a culture, blooding the talent and identifying the people who want to be in his system and want to move on.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The plan seems to be coming together. There is a lot to like with how they are doing things operationally. They have their values and their standards and they aren't compromised. Buy in or ship out. Talent is everywhere and at any organisation but the ability to achieve is really about clear identity and what you stand for. And the Reds seem to be figuring this out and getting an organisational same page.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think it would serve Australian sports in general to create an independent review body of player managers, contracts etc. With regular audits. There aren’t many jobs where a business can have so much influence over a school age athlete, and it definitely isn’t just an issue in rugby.

The David Fifita saga in the NRL is another example of where a manager has been the root cause of an issue.

The incentive for player managers to get on board is if they get accredited by this Australia wide body, it means they are free to deal with any of the codes who have agreed to participate, thus giving them more avenues to pickup clients.