• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Round 6 Rebels v Brumbies, 7.05pm Leichhardt Oval, Friday 7th August

B

Bobby Sands

Makes me feel better about the Reds getting a draw in the slop against the Rebéls.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lot to like about that Rebels performance tonight - particularly in view of the conditions - definitely had better shape with Deegan at 10 and To'omua at 12 but Cameron Orr, and Isi were immense...amongst others....

Thought there were only 2 sides in this competition that could win it (Brumbies or Reds) - Rebels now put down the marker as serious contenders.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well, I didn't see that coming. The Rebels just played wet weather footy at it's absolute best, ie kick out of your own half, and then just pour on the defensive pressure.
Very few Brumbies played up to their reputations tonight, the test front row got monstered (Brumbies got the better of the reserve front rows battle), the first time I saw Samu was shaking hands after the match, TK continues to be fairly anonymous and I think that's the worst game I've seen Banks play. Valetini and Simone both worked hard, Kata is always looks dangerous, but that's about all the positives I can find.
For the Rebels, OTH, there were stars all over the paddock. In the forwards I thought Isi was massive, I'm a big Wilson fan but right now Isi is still my Wallaby 8. The control exercised by Lomani, Deegan and To'omua was what really won the game, they knew exactly how to play in those conditions and they executed brilliantly.
I'm sure the Brumbies will bounce back from that, they're too good a side not too, but Super Rugby Aus just got a whole lot more interesting.

Being brutally honest, after the win last week I said to Mrs Mst before we left our seats that we got out of jail and based on what I had seen I had real concerns that we had lost our way especially in attack. Line is static, no runners and very one dimensional and almost casual. If you go back and look at the week previous it was similar. Replacing a 10 can have a impact but not this much. It was on the cards.

Rebels made the most of every opportunity and deserved the win.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Good to see positive and entertaining rugby (allowing for the rain).

Great to see cynical play in your 22 dealt with.

Kafer had nothing to contribute tonight because when it rains there is no dew!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No way I saw that coming, well done to the Rebels in playing near perfect wet weather footy. They were smart with the boot, defended brilliantly and were excellent at the breakdown. They really just shut down anything the Brumbies threw at them. Isi was absolutely immense in the loose I thought and it's great to see him back. Clearly the Wallaby 8, even though Samu and Wilson would have had reasonable claims up until now. To'omua was also fantastic at 12 and combined well with Deegan. Both were very assured in the conditions and kept their team in the right areas of the park.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
very entertaining game to watch even with the conditions, I really appreciated the physicality both teams demonstrated in the wet, and was happy with how the referee let the game flow even with some spilt ball chaotic rugby at times.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Lot to like about that Rebels performance tonight - particularly in view of the conditions - definitely had better shape with Deegan at 10 and To'omua at 12 but Cameron Orr, and Isi were immense.amongst others..

Thought there were only 2 sides in this competition that could win it (Brumbies or Reds) - Rebels now put down the marker as serious contenders.

Enjoyed the game, and 2 big things I got from game. To'omua is so much better at 12, he plays the 2nd playmaker so well because he can pick when he does it, was my MOTM.
The other thing I got were how much I gone off the Brumbies, what a one set up one way of playing bloody moronic lot they are! They had a penalty right in front of goal about 6-7 metres out and kicked for the corner for a lineout. Any team (and I mean any other team) in that position would take a scrum as there was both sides of the field to work with, but NO the Brumbies ONLY scoring way seems to be lineout and maul!! I all for using it, but not at the expense of any other way of scoring tries.

And huge ups to ground staff, that park was in superb condition for the rain etc! One of reasons weather didn't stuff the game up!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The other thing I got were how much I gone off the Brumbies, what a one set up one way of playing bloody moronic lot they are! They had a penalty right in front of goal about 6-7 metres out and kicked for the corner for a lineout. Any team (and I mean any other team) in that position would take a scrum as there was both sides of the field to work with, but NO the Brumbies ONLY scoring way seems to be lineout and maul!! I all for using it, but not at the expense of any other way of scoring tries.

On a rather wet night I can see why you would potentially go to your strength in the maul, keeping it tight.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How much time does Deegan have to decide the next move? Consistently taking the right options after surveilling the field. Best No 10 all round performance in this country for a long time.

Overall, not a single Brumby outplayed his opposite. A few aspects of the game did leave me more frustrated than the individual performances though. The Brumbies kicking game was plain awful. And it beats me why they kick at all when not one player contested the ball when it landed. Every kick in general play simply resulted in turnover to the Rebels, and in one case at least directly led to a Rebels try.

Similarly, the Brumbies lacked any urgency going for the ball on the ground. Beaten to it on every occasion I can recall, including Hodges try where he beat Banks over the try line. Banks tried to shovel the ball dead in goal it appeared while Hodge just planted it under Banks hands.

Great performance by the Rebels in the conditions and very poor by the Brumbies. As KARL says, better now than in a final.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
How much time does Deegan have to decide the next move? Consistently taking the right options after surveilling the field. Best No 10 all round performance in this country for a long time.

He's only signed for this year to the Rebels so who knows where he'll end up. I always thought it was a shame he never made it at NSW vs. Mason. He's probably done better for himself not getting stuck behind Foley.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's only signed for this year to the Rebels so who knows where he'll end up. I always thought it was a shame he never made it at NSW vs. Mason. He's probably done better for himself not getting stuck behind Foley.
i believe BR was talking about his ability to look to have so much time in decision making, how effortless he looks and how he generally always chooses the correct option. not hurried. not where he is going to play next year.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Its a wonder it took Wessels so long go install Lomani amd Deegan.

Deegan I agree, he'd shown enough in the NRC/GRR to see his potential and is a true 10. Has shown that kicking game before. Lomani I need to see more of at this level. I thought he played the right role last night, but I hadn't been blown away by some of his earlier performances. The Rebels improved earlier this year with Louwrens on the field, so it's really his spot to loose.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
i believe BR was talking about his ability to look to have so much time in decision making, how effortless he looks and how he generally always chooses the correct option. not hurried. not where he is going to play next year.

... well that's easy, the time comes from a hardworking set of forwards winning it upfront and giving him the time :) Orr, Uelese, Philip, Hosea, Wilkin, Naisarani all had a good game.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
. well that's easy, the time comes from a hardworking set of forwards winning it upfront and giving him the time :) Orr, Uelese, Philip, Hosea, Wilkin, Naisarani all had a good game.
agree, halves always look to and indeed actually have much more time when the front 5 - 8 are going forward. never any fun playing behind a beaten pack, even Aaron Smith looks slower and less dominant when the Clan forwards are under the pump