• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
At a low level, just about any sport can fit that bill.

Rugby likes to think it's a sport for everyone, but in reality that's a stretch.

RA would do well to emulate some of AFL's measures, albeit on a smaller scale.

Of course we should emulate some of their measures, I just don't think they will be replacing the 1sts rugby on A Ground at 3:!5pm with AFL any time in the next 30 years.

And AFL is definitely suited to fitter, faster people. It doesn't have a niche carved out for different shapes and sizes like rugby. And rugby has more mechanisms for every player to be involved in a game - a scrum, a lineout, a backline move etc. AFL doesn't have that, you can go literally a whole game without touching the ball or even really being involved in the play.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
It would be interesting to know whether there are any GPS school kids in the Swans Academy or whether any GPS graduates have played NEAFL for the Swans.

There's usually a handful, although the Swans academy is the rough equivalent to a large Junior Gold Cup squad so not quit as impressive as it sounds.

Dane Rampe and Jack Hiscox (delisted) both went to Newington and through Swans Academy. I know Dane was well into his AFL career before NEAFL was a thing, don't know about Jack

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I am skeptical about the rise of AFL in GPS schools. Sure it will be played, and some may end up taking it quite seriously.

I agree. Interestingly whilst Shore this year has more AFL teams than it ever has (6 teams up from 3.5 in 2019) the increase in participation has almost exclusively come from soccer. There are the same amount of rugby teams as last year and more rugby teams in the u13's than last year which is a nice surprise.

It would be interesting to know whether there are any GPS school kids in the Swans Academy or whether any GPS graduates have played NEAFL for the Swans.

There have been a few. Lewis Roberts Thompson (Shore) was academy then had a long career with the seniors and Sam Wicks debuted for the Swans on the weekend also went to Shore. I know there was a Swans academy kid at the school last year who didnt play GPS AFL because "it was just crap" (his fathers words).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There have been a few. Lewis Roberts Thompson (Shore)

Like Dane Rampe though, he never actually played AFL at school. LRT was actually in the Shore 1st XV I believe.

Rampe didn't start playing AFL at all until the end of high school.

Wicks has gone right through the Swans Academy but looks like all his junior AFL was with Manly.[/quote]

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Rampe didn't start playing AFL at all until the end of high school.
[/quote]

GPS schools have been playing AFL for years and years though, just not in a weekly format similar to other sports. I know in primary school we won the NSW Paul Kelly cup two years in a row, and Dane would have been in that team, and in high school we also had a small AFL season on Friday nights between summer and winter sport seasons which was quite popular as it was the only time the soccer and rugby boys were able to play a "winter" sport together...............It's been around a while now, it has just ramped up in the last 5 years or so

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
116583833_10156906330936324_4003101316231775981_o.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From @christydoran

Big news out of Rugby Australia: 1st, Rob Clarke has given NZR a three-week deadline: “We have a put deadline for broadcast submissions for Sept. 4 ... So D-day is coming."

2nd, RA pushing for a “Super 8” concept. Top 2 Aus, NZ, SA, Japan held post domestic/Super Rugby seasons.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
From @christydoran

Big news out of Rugby Australia: 1st, Rob Clarke has given NZR a three-week deadline: “We have a put deadline for broadcast submissions for Sept. 4 . So D-day is coming."

2nd, RA pushing for a “Super 8” concept. Top 2 Aus, NZ, SA, Japan held post domestic/Super Rugby seasons.

Also, from @paulcully

Important to note 'Super 8' won't replace Super AU or potential TT comp - whichever gets up. It will be held AFTER that season is completed. RA CEO Rob Clarke tells me talks with Japan have been positive.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Also, from @paulcully

Important to note 'Super 8' won't replace Super AU or potential TT comp - whichever gets up. It will be held AFTER that season is completed. RA CEO Rob Clarke tells me talks with Japan have been positive.

Absolutely love this idea, should have been done years ago.

Means every country can run their domestic competition according to their own needs
plus
Every country gets a domestic champion/finals series
plus
Strong domestic rivalries every week
plus
Less travel
plus
High standard international competition
plus
Big international broadcasting dollars

It's a win, win, win, win, win, win.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
More detail on rugby.com.au here about the RA plans:

Rugby Australia broadcast offering
  • Trans-Tasman or Super Rugby AU competition
  • Super Eight series involving top two of Australian, New Zealand and South African teams and top Japanese and South American team
  • State of Union to be played between Queensland and New South Wales
  • National club championship
  • Shute Shield
  • Hospital Challenge Cup
  • Selected schools matches

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
From @christydoran

Big news out of Rugby Australia: 1st, Rob Clarke has given NZR a three-week deadline: “We have a put deadline for broadcast submissions for Sept. 4 . So D-day is coming."

Well lets run the NRC model with no Tahs and Reds. Then form up the Tahs and Reds on an Origin selection basis (with a number places reserved for non NSW or QLD players)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

• Super Eight series involving top two of Australian, New Zealand and South African teams and top Japanese and South American team
  • Shute Shield
  • Hospital Challenge Cup

Wow, they have been reading my posts

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well lets run the NRC model with no Tahs and Reds. Then form up the Tahs and Reds on an Origin selection basis (with a number places reserved for non NSW or QLD players)

I was thinking about the Origin thing, it probably needs its own thread as there will be a lot of opinions on it.

But I reckon, each pick their 'best' 1-15 on a purely origin basis. For the remaining 8 spots, there is a ballot/draft where they can pick from either the remaining origin players from their own state, or the non-aligned players, with the caveat they have to be Wallaby eligible.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was thinking about the Origin thing, it probably needs its own thread as there will be a lot of opinions on it.

But I reckon, each pick their 'best' 1-15 on a purely origin basis. For the remaining 8 spots, there is a ballot/draft where they can pick from either the remaining origin players from their own state, or the non-aligned players, with the caveat they have to be Wallaby eligible.

Yes, sounds good. And once they are picked they become an honorary Tah or Red and must stay with that for future selections.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

• Shute Shield
  • Hospital Challenge Cup

no under 20 content? Because it has been shelved because of corona virus?