• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
If the reds need a hooker, they should sign Ed Craig. He was on loan earlier this season for the reds. Playing in the Shute Shield, tearing up!

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
His lineout work wasn't too flash on Saturday.

Easts played a very basic (but effective) two pod defensive formation. Front pod anchored with aggressive jumper to disrupt two ball and a mobile back pod (with Ben Mowen jumping). It pressures the hooker to throw over two which even at a professional level hookers can struggle.

People try and make lineouts to difficult. If you are losing the lineout just change the dynamic. The best tactic is to just throw it in before the defensive team is ready.

In the young fellas defense, Mowen was one of the world's great defensive lineout jumpers in his prime it isn't surprising he would still make life difficult for the boys in QPR. He'd probably still do the same in Super Rugby if he felt so inclined

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
In the young fellas defense, Mowen was one of the world's great defensive lineout jumpers in his prime it isn't surprising he would still make life difficult for the boys in QPR. He'd probably still do the same in Super Rugby if he felt so inclined

Wests also lost one of their jumpers (#7) in the first minute of the game, so they were a bit disrupted to start with.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

100% agree. Mowen is still is an expert in the lineout. My frustration was that Wests didn't change their plan. They kept setting up slowly thinking they were going to beat him. Just throw it to two before they are ready.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
100% agree. Mowen is still is an expert in the lineout. My frustration was that Wests didn't change their plan. They kept setting up slowly thinking they were going to beat him. Just throw it to two before they are ready.

To Segway from line out jumpers to hookers using this wests game... how good did the wests set piece look when Bronson Taukiapulu came on in 2nd half!

It’s a real shame that because of his Samoan national cap he realistically wouldn’t be considered as an addition for the reds because if QPR/NRC is anything to go by I think his a name they would consider in the Reds squad.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
To Segway from line out jumpers to hookers using this wests game. how good did the wests set piece look when Bronson Taukiapulu came on in 2nd half!

It’s a real shame that because of his Samoan national cap he realistically wouldn’t be considered as an addition for the reds because if QPR/NRC is anything to go by I think his a name they would consider in the Reds squad.

At 20 odd minutes it was 22-nil (I think), they had a bloke in the bin, the lineout was getting touched up and the scrum was on roller skates. I thought it was going to be a massive blow out. Credit it to them they turned that scrum around big time.

B

Bobby Sands

His lineout work wasn't too flash on Saturday.

Easts played a very basic (but effective) two pod defensive formation. Front pod anchored with aggressive jumper to disrupt two ball and a mobile back pod (with Ben Mowen jumping). It pressures the hooker to throw over two which even at a professional level hookers can struggle.

People try and make lineouts to difficult. If you are losing the lineout just change the dynamic. The best tactic is to just throw it in before the defensive team is ready.

Ben Mowen is such an elite lineout operator.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
One of my biggest gripes with the Reds is their merry-go-round of halfbacks in the last 5 years. I understand some of it was due to form and ill discipline, but it is hard to build good combinations in the forwards and with the flyhalf when a new halfback pops up each year.

I think McDermott is the man for the job and Scott M will hopefully stick around as the bench backup, even Sorovi has been good enough and around long enough to be the third halfback in my opinion, he knows the players. Stick with these guys, they've built a good combo with JOC (James O'Connor) who I think should still be our flyhalf next year.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Scott M can't stay because of eligibility laws

I said the same thing on here last week and was told they are looking at changing those laws with the new comp next year.

Don’t really see the point in starting a halfback if you know he’s definitely leaving the following season, when there are other options. So I assume the news re eligibility changes may be true.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thoughts on the next best QPR halfback who could step up? I'd say Reuben Wall?

Kalani Thomas is playing Premier Colts I believe.

Liam Dillon at Bond is a decent little player and I know Phoenix Hunt is highly rated at Easts.

I always rated Nick Chapman at Norths. I think he is still at the club? perhaps injured?

B

Bobby Sands

Kalani Thomas is playing Premier Colts I believe.

Liam Dillon at Bond is a decent little player and I know Phoenix Hunt is highly rated at Easts.

I always rated Nick Chapman at Norths. I think he is still at the club? perhaps injured?

Phoenix is very organised, and ex Oz Schools etc.

Might be a bit small?

But certainly on the horizon.