• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The shield use to make money in its glory years. So are they going to keep running it?

When were the glory years? I was a big fan as a kid, used to go to the SCG to watch every day of every game (during the school holidays, and weekends). Attendances were tiny.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
When were the glory years? I was a big fan as a kid, used to go to the SCG to watch every day of every game (during the school holidays, and weekends). Attendances were tiny.
I don’t know exactly you just hear the old timers talking about how they use to sell our stadiums before one day cricket and international tours every year

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting article by Kafer on rugby.com.au where conclusion is NZ need us more then we need them

Tend to agree - thanks nz for playing super rugby games in same competition but we have indeed outgrown NZRU and time to leave you to your own domestic competition and wish you good luck and look forward to playing you in super 8 and tests.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So what happens to the NRC? From a commercial it has failed but from a development standpoint it has been a success

The NRC was essentially funded by Fox. So RA did NIL investment.

IMHO the unviable part of the NRC is the RA, NSWRU and obsession with club rugby. As a commercial product it ticked a lot of boxes; all teams had paid up licence fees and funding so it just the pissy politics that killed it as far as I can tell. Vikings Club already been on the phone with Twiggy about options and they have $$$.

That development pathway you mention is what is desperately needed so I think it's a big loss. None of the proposed replacements or TV package fill that gap (development; and good TV product mixing new with known names and with club and professional linkages). So if your trying to rebuild its a big piece to be going without. Big loss in IMHO.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

IMHO the unviable part of the NRC is the RA, NSWRU and obsession with club rugby. As a commercial product it ticked a lot of boxes; all teams had paid up licence fees and funding so it just the pissy politics that killed it as far as I can tell. Vikings Club already been on the phone with Twiggy about options and they have $$$.

That development pathway you mention is what is desperately needed so I think it's a big loss. None of the proposed replacements or TV package fill that gap (development; and good TV product mixing new with known names and with club and professional linkages). So if your trying to rebuild its a big piece to be going without. Big loss in IMHO.

Nswru and clubs killed NRC as they just refused to come on board despite proving to be an excellent develepmwnt pathway. Sadly looking to something like NCC was only choice for RA

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Yeah that’s how I feel that level of the game is essential to developing players and preparing them for the step up to super rugby and then Wallabies

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The district clubs in Sydney and Brisbane actually perform at a pretty high standard.
Not disputing that but there are 22 clubs across those two competitions. Meaning the talent is more diluted also for Perth, Canberra and Melbourne based players they don’t have to relocate and leave their club comps to chase higher honours

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do it in exchange fore the clubs playing ball and assisting in funding a NRC/ARC type development comp

100%. NRC can work if you get the correct alignment between club and province. NCC will only strengthen the strong clubs and kill the weaker ones.

NRC just needs some tweaks. There needs clear lines of developmental pathways. In QLD, rather than City and Country we need North of the River and South of the river. Premier teams align to those team.

The issue I have had is that supporting Wests we have players in City and Country so who do I support when they play each other?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
100%. NRC can work if you get the correct alignment between club and province. NCC will only strengthen the strong clubs and kill the weaker ones.

NRC just needs some tweaks. There needs clear lines of developmental pathways. In QLD, rather than City and Country we need North of the River and South of the river. Premier teams align to those team.

The issue I have had is that supporting Wests we have players in City and Country so who do I support when they play each other?

From a NSW perspective the ARC nailed the club split a hell of a lot better than the NRC did

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From a NSW perspective the ARC nailed the club split a hell of a lot better than the NRC did

Largely the NSW NRC teams were undermined by an SRU determined to make it fail. Some club exceptions but as a generalisation it is accurate.

What it means is that any club system/NRC going forward must include SRU in the consultations. There is little likelihood of success without the active interest of the SRU.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
In terms of alignment of geography and tribalism it's just been a clusterfuck

I originally started supporting the Fleet (as it was Souths Affiliated team)

Then was torn between Western Sydney and the stars as Souths were with the rams but geographically stars were closer

Then stars left so went for rams

Then rams left and i was left either supporting country or the rays (who originally were north sydney who i hated)

How the hell am i supposed to stay an engaged fan with that clusterfuck occuring

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In terms of alignment of geography and tribalism it's just been a clusterfuck

I originally started supporting the Fleet (as it was Souths Affiliated team)

Then was torn between Western Sydney and the stars as Souths were with the rams but geographically stars were closer

Then stars left so went for rams

Then rams left and i was left either supporting country or the rays (who originally were north sydney who i hated)

How the hell am i supposed to stay an engaged fan with that clusterfuck occuring

Can only agree. I was Stars from start to finish (was living in Balmain at the time) but clearly watching closely Brisbane City and Qld Country very closely. The Qld approach to NRC was clearly superior to how things unfolded in Sydney.

But I wouldn't nominate as you suggest in NSW without making sure it is what the SRU want.

As it turns out, I don't think we are being offered an NRC. Effort and thoughts need to go to the club championship.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The call out to the clubs being resistant to the NRC is correct. But to be fair, I think the ARU didn't work to work with them too from my experience, they backed down too easily. Also that all added up to the same people who failed to run any other level of rugby well, running rugby at the NRC level. Not to mention the fancy boys trying to have fancy position titles and not doing anything.

The heads weren't in it by anyone. Rays were the only ones who held it together somehow.

The sad thing about the national club championship view is that the diversity we need at the club level will be lost and only the strong inner city/north shore clubs will survive. Good for them, but sad for hopes of Western Sydney etc ever being on a strong footing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The call out to the clubs being resistant to the NRC is correct. But to be fair, I think the ARU didn't work to work with them too from my experience, they backed down too easily. Also that all added up to the same people who failed to run any other level of rugby well, running rugby at the NRC level. Not to mention the fancy boys trying to have fancy position titles and not doing anything.

The heads weren't in it by anyone. Rays were the only ones who held it together somehow.

The sad thing about the national club championship view is that the diversity we need at the club level will be lost and only the strong inner city/north shore clubs will survive. Good for them, but sad for hopes of Western Sydney etc ever being on a strong footing.
Who funded the Rays at inception?
actually the only SS club that didn’t contribute $$$ they didn’t have,was the Woods.