• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm still scarred from the third test against Ireland where Powell played 10 minutes and threw at least three shocking passes that you could argue cost us the game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Powell got limited Wallaby time but he did fuck all with the time he did get. Cheika was guilty of a lot of things but he didn't screw Powell over.

He didn't help him much either though, kept carrying him on the bench and only giving him a handful of minutes per game. Powell would've been better served playing NRC and the wallabies would have been better served investing in a backup halfback that they would actually use and trying not to run Genia into the ground.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
To be fair, Powell was always the 3rd/4th string scrumhalf at an international level; Genia, White (for 2019) and Nic 'The Harbour Bridge' Phipps were all ahead of him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, Powell was always the 3rd/4th string scrumhalf at an international level; Genia, White (for 2019) and Nic 'The Harbour Bridge' Phipps were all ahead of him.

Phipps didn’t even make the Wallaby RC squad last year........... Powell did and was that standby halfback for the World Cup.........

And yet Phipps played against Samoa.

Powell has 4 test caps off the bench, two of those for a combined 4 mins.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Powell got limited Wallaby time but he did fuck all with the time he did get. Cheika was guilty of a lot of things but he didn't screw Powell over.

Come on D. Less than 5 minutes average per game, but mostly 80 minutes on the bench. Even Petaia wouldn't excel in those circumstances.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Remember that time we were leading a Bledisloe and with 90 sec to go he box kicked to NZ and we lost

Who are you talking about Sully? White was castigated from here to Perth for his box kick when leading with 90 seconds to go. I cannot recall Powell ever being in that same boat, but please enlighten me.

And while we are remembering Nic's kick, remember also that there was no-one in a position to take a pass and he was under immense pressure, but for all that the ABs gained possession about 30m out and it was a missed tackle that directly led to their winning try.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Phipps didn’t even make the Wallaby RC squad last year..... Powell did and was that standby halfback for the World Cup...

And yet Phipps played against Samoa.

Powell has 4 test caps off the bench, two of those for a combined 4 mins.

I had thought it was somewhat more than that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Come on D. Less than 5 minutes average per game, but mostly 80 minutes on the bench. Even Petaia wouldn't excel in those circumstances.

Fair point. I guess my opinion was rather tainted by the Ireland test.

People rag on Phipps a fair bit but he did at least have a point of difference in that he could get to and clear the ball faster than most halfbacks.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Remember that time we were leading a Bledisloe and with 90 sec to go he box kicked to NZ and we lost

I was at that match and surrounded by Kiwis. The abuse we copped at the end was like nothing I’ve ever seen. Bloody Nic! (I still really like him but dammit that hurt dude).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair point. I guess my opinion was rather tainted by the Ireland test.

People rag on Phipps a fair bit but he did at least have a point of difference in that he could get to and clear the ball faster than most halfbacks.
I never understood the value of that when he sprayed them like a shot gun.