• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I never understood the value of that when he sprayed them like a shot gun.
He didn't though. His accuracy might have been a bit lower than Genia or White but he had plenty of cracking games.

People make out that every second pass of his went over the head of his target.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
And while we are remembering Nic's kick, remember also that there was no-one in a position to take a pass and he was under immense pressure, but for all that the ABs gained possession about 30m out and it was a missed tackle that directly led to their winning try.

I've heard that a few times now and always from a brumbies fan. I wonder why that is.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

He didn't though. His accuracy might have been a bit lower than Genia or White but he had plenty of cracking games.

1B99D8E7-4572-41DD-A9D7-0C56A08B555E.jpeg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

His passing was below standard for a test half. He wasn’t putting every second pass above the targets head, but he did spray them far too much. Which was shame because the rest of his game was top shelf. So, when he did get it right he tended to be very good because all the other elements of his game were there.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He wasn’t? They have?

You seem to be privy to information no one else has...

Not really his name was shopped around to the MLR a few months back and it wasn’t a secret. Although they’ve since paused their 2021 recruitment so Rebels or Force might be his next career move.

Nic White wasn’t brought home on a RA top up to sit on the bench..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
As much as we can highlight past mistakes, it matters little at the 2020 selection table.

White's 2019 form was outstanding, especially given Cheika's constant switching in both the 9 and 10 position. If he can produce that form then he's in the 23.

As much as I like Powell, I'm just not sure he has that class edge to take his game to the next level. Good super player, can do a job at Test level if we have a few injuries, sure. The Hanigan comparison is pretty valid IMO, or maybe a guy like Bryce Hegarty. Not much wrong with his game, just maybe lacking that last 10%.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Is that really the standard we're aiming for though? We moan when hookers don't throw straight, but why can't we expect our half-backs to aim to be more like Aaron Smith than passing like a prop at the breakdown.

What I will say is, Phipps's job was made that much harder having to pass to a hobbit than say a bloke who's close to 6 foot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is that really the standard we're aiming for though? We moan when hookers don't throw straight, but why can't we expect our half-backs to aim to be more like Aaron Smith than passing like a prop at the breakdown.

What I will say is, Phipps's job was made that much harder having to pass to a hobbit than say a bloke who's close to 6 foot.

My point was just that he had traits that set him out from other 9s going around (his speed). Powell doesn't.

McDermott, for example, is a fantastic sniper. Gordon's support play is great, etc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Powell has a knack for passing to the right player from the back of the ruck. That is, the player in the best position to do something positive with the possession.

If he was as limited as some on here seem to imply, I'm sure the Brumbies would be struggling to win the number of games they have.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As much as we can highlight past mistakes, it matters little at the 2020 selection table.

White's 2019 form was outstanding, especially given Cheika's constant switching in both the 9 and 10 position. If he can produce that form then he's in the 23.

As much as I like Powell, I'm just not sure he has that class edge to take his game to the next level. Good super player, can do a job at Test level if we have a few injuries, sure. The Hanigan comparison is pretty valid IMO, or maybe a guy like Bryce Hegarty. Not much wrong with his game, just maybe lacking that last 10%.
I agree with most of that Barbs - but I guess my point with Phipps, and the reason it’s relevant here is that plenty of people saw value in Phipps because of the attributes he bought to the table despite him being sub-standard in the half backs core skills.

I agree that Powell is solid, not spectacular but he does all his core roles competently and maybe there is a lot to be said for someone who ticks off on all the basics. It doesn’t make him immune to the odd shocker, like v Ireland, but his performances at Super level have generally been solid enough and he’s never had a chance to show he can bring that consistency to test level. I doubt he’d shoot the lights out but I doubt he’d completely flounder either.

I don’t agree with the Hanigan comparison though. Hanigan’s problem was Cheika picked him too early and then continued to stick with him when he was found out. I look at how he is playing now, with the benefit of some physical maturity and I think he would actually be there or thereabouts in most people’s Wallabies squads as a lineout jumping 6 option if people could look beyond his history and look at the player he is now. If he can consistently show his best form I’d have him shaping up as a genuine shot at the 6 jersey.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
White has a mountain of work ahead of him to remove Tate as the form half of S au. 30 mins has not been enough by far.

I think the incumbent theory is tosh, but it would be the only way he starts ahead of Tate right now. White has 2 rounds to prove himself. The one round that Tate has left will be key.

I'm not liking White's chances of starting for the WBs at this stage, at least on any selection metric involving form.

It is harsh on Powell who I think is a fine half and in all likelihood would be fine in Gold - but with the alternatives available he is not in this race in 2020.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
White has a mountain of work ahead of him to remove Tate as the form half of S au. 30 mins has not been enough by far.

I think the incumbent theory is tosh, but it would be the only way he starts ahead of Tate right now. White has 2 rounds to prove himself. The one round that Tate has left will be key.

I'm not liking White's chances of starting for the WBs at this stage, at least on any selection metric involving form.

It is harsh on Powell who I think is a fine half and in all likelihood would be fine in Gold - but with the alternatives available he is not in this race in 2020.

I think given the first two games are against the ABs then the incumbent vs an uncapped rookie may have more weight than say if the opponent was Fiji etc.

I hope the two lads get to have two more good cracks at each other to see who comes out on top. That type of competition is only a good thing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think given the first two games are against the ABs then the incumbent vs an uncapped rookie may have more weight than say if the opponent was Fiji etc.

It is a common theme. Just not one I adhere too. It is the ABs - put your best team on the field.

At any rate, the call wont be made by us.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

The form half who got dropped to the bench for 2 or 3 games ?

B

Bobby Sands

Seemed more like rotation to me. Hes played well for the better part of two years but Thorn seems to like giving other players a crack, and also seems to enjoy a tinker with the team sheet.

Thorn realises it is a thankless task to be a back up 9, and you need to give players game time. Also Tate probably needed a freshen up.

For anyone to suggest he was dropped is uninformed at best, and disingenuous at worst.

Reactions: dru

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Are you seriously arguing he isn’t the form half Tomkin?

I just don't think his forms been so outstanding that its Him and daylight second. But out of 6 games his had 3 off the bench.

I suspect he'll be the 9 or back up 9 for the Wallabies.