• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Well done to Joey's. Joker you will be upset but I was able to watch the game in person. Confirmed that 6 Scots players were out as it was a shame because it would of been a great match. Joey's wisely targeted the 2nds players in the side and ran riot in the first half. Bring on 2021 lol

Lucky bastard Subbie. Yes, how did you get inside the bubble?

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Can't reveal how bit it was all above board. It was however sad to see no crowds and I felt for the boys as their big moment was quiet. On the plus side it was great to hear the on field talk

Fair enough.
I was surprised to hear the volume of the crowd at Kings. It sounded like there were a lot of students watching... not sure how that works especially seeing as the Kings headmaster was publicly spearheading the movement to get the competition back up and running.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Joeys line speed wasn't there in the second half which allowed the bigger boys to wind up and rip though.
Joeys made some crucial errors as well.
They must be better to beat Kings.

Best results today for Scots was their 16A, 14A winning, plus the 13E who beat Joeys G's
Three wins!!! More than most
Well done.

Worth noting the huge improvement from Joeys 14a’s . Scots thumped them twice last year. I know Scots have sent 3 good players up an age group but Joeys have a few key players out injured. Although the Joeys team lost I think they deserve credit for closing the gap significantly. BTW, anyone see the score in the 13a’s? Joeys ran riot, 59-7 and the mercy rule was applied.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Scots won second half 29-14
Joeys have issues with the 13 channel with defence
Hi Joker, missed the game live but just watched the replay very carefully, especially the 2nd half.

Scots first try came from a clear obstruction on the Joeys 5 who was denied the opportunity to make a defensive play because of Scots 1 standing in the line;
Scots 2nd and 3rd tries came from defensive lapses on the Joeys line - well taken opportunities by Scots 8 (would like to see a lot less of the rubbing of the heads of opposition players by the team that scores - 3 Scots players decided to do it to the Joeys 11 after the 2nd try, it’s just rubbish from Rugba League, another one did it to the Joeys 7 after the 3rd Scots try.
The 4th try cam from a poor Joeys clearing pass (not by the half) to the 10 and good chase by Scots 5, full credit to him, good individual effort late in the game and well deserved.
The 5th Scots try came from a missed tackle on the Scots 13 by the Joeys 10.

Couldn’t see any real defensive lapses in the OC channel.

It was a classic game of two halves.

The Joeys 1, 2, 3 all completely dominated. The two 8s largely cancelled each other out. Joeys 14 and 15 looked dangerous every time they touched the ball.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It really is stupid the students can’t watch. I mean like they sit in classrooms together, board together and eat together. Segregate them in year groups if necessary but at least let the home students watch.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Also, at about 11:05 in the H1, you can clearly see the ball on the line under the arm of the Joeys 11, the referee in perfect position to see it and for some reason he calls it held up, scrum to Joeys.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
It really is stupid the students can’t watch. I mean like they sit in classrooms together, board together and eat together. Segregate them in year groups if necessary but at least let the home students watch.

I agree KOB.

There is absolutely no point in isolating the boys and preventing them from watching the games. Fair enough no public or old boys, but quite ridiculous that the schoolboys cannot attend.

INP

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Hi Joker, missed the game live but just watched the replay very carefully, especially the 2nd half.

Scots first try came from a clear obstruction on the Joeys 5 who was denied the opportunity to make a defensive play because of Scots 1 standing in the line;
Scots 2nd and 3rd tries came from defensive lapses on the Joeys line - well taken opportunities by Scots 8 (would like to see a lot less of the rubbing of the heads of opposition players by the team that scores - 3 Scots players decided to do it to the Joeys 11 after the 2nd try, it’s just rubbish from Rugba League, another one did it to the Joeys 7 after the 3rd Scots try.
The 4th try cam from a poor Joeys clearing pass (not by the half) to the 10 and good chase by Scots 5, full credit to him, good individual effort late in the game and well deserved.
The 5th Scots try came from a missed tackle on the Scots 13 by the Joeys 10.

Couldn’t see any real defensive lapses in the OC channel.

It was a classic game of two halves.

The Joeys 1, 2, 3 all completely dominated. The two 8s largely cancelled each other out. Joeys 14 and 15 looked dangerous every time they touched the ball.

Brumbies you are exactly right.

This tapping on the head has to stop. I am a bit old school, but I think it is very poor sportsmanship that has crept into the game. What ever happened to respecting your opponent? It's unnecessary and very poor form in my opinion. The same as clapping when your opponent makes a mistake. Tap your own player's head when he does something good. Encourage your own team. But that's just my 1970s view.

INP

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

This tapping on the head has to stop. I am a bit old school, but I think it is very poor sportsmanship that has crept into the game. What ever happened to respecting your opponent? It's unnecessary and very poor form in my opinion. The same as clapping when your opponent makes a mistake. Tap your own player's head when he does something good. Encourage your own team. But that's just my 1970s view.

INP
Fully agree and would add that coaches who don't stamp it out are just as guilty as the players.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Ok, here's a CAS dad talking, so quite impartial but like all of you, luv our schoolboy footy and extremely happy that the GPS comp is underway, for all the obvious reasons.
I watched today, on Clutch from the 3rds onwards (GREAT system - UNTIL the New/Shore 1sts link fell off about half time), then skipped between games.
Here's my wrap.

Without doubt the most impressive team was Kings, BIG strong side, well drilled, the no 10 was super, as were the forwards and the well known 13. View tried hard and kept up with Kings for the 1st half.
I won't be surprised if View win all their remaining games, including Joeys, to finish 2nd, but a long a to go!
However history often says otherwise, eh Joeys!

Only saw bits of the New v shore game, good game, better team won but neither will challenge the top 4.

Spent most of my time, watching Joeys v Scots. At half time, thought this could be ugly, but definitely a game of 2 halves, and apparently Scots had about 6 out. Joeys went to sleep, completely, in the 2nd half half, BUT Scots rammed home'the vibe"once they scored a try in the 2nd half, and it nearly all changed. It was the 1st comp game, so things will be better executed etc as games progress.

After round 1, KINGS look the goods, as the team they beat today, View, competed well all game.
Joeys 1st half was super, and my standout in this Joeys team was the no 2, he is terrific, name and year please?

CLUCH TV was sooo good!

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Round 4 of the 3rd XV competition was played today (with Round 3 to be played on 16 September).

Riverview 17 d Shore 7
Grammar 14 d Kings 0
Joeys 58 d Scots 5
High had the bye.

Shore had plenty of possession against Riverview but could not crack the Riverview defence. Riverview on the other hand made the most of their attacking opportunities.
Grammar proved too strong for Kings at Parramatta. Grammar scored early and held on for their third win in a row.
Joeys ran riot at Bellevue Hill with a comprehensive victory over Scots, who were never really in the game.

After three rounds, Grammar and Joeys remain undefeated. They will meet in the deferred Round 3 on Wednesday 16 September at Rushcutters Bay.
Round 5 next Saturday is:
Shore v Joeys
Riverview v High
Kings v Scots
Grammar bye.
INP

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Kings need to dial down the crowd attendance and the singing..clearly not a game played with zero spectators regardless of who they were.

Agreed, rules are rules.
Although I think home students should be able to spectate, until that is the agreed rule across all GPS schools, it is not fair that Kings students are able to watch the match, cheering and singing. Also, on a side note, some of the stuff I heard coming out of that crowd left a bad taste in my mouth TBH. Not a good look for Kings

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
thought the score flattered Scots in the end - they were never really in it. Mind you, they had a big gun in their mid-field whom they didn't use effectively - big unit who looked all at sea most of the game, but very dangerous with ball in hand and a little room. I would play him at No8.
Scots won the 2nd half 29-14 - 5 tries to 2 - largely due to loss of focus by Joeys - two soft tries on their line while they were looking the other way but the other three were well worked. Had their kicker been on song - he missed three kickables - the score would have been 40-35 which would have had a few worried faces on the sidelines.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok, here's a CAS dad talking, so quite impartial but like all of you, luv our schoolboy footy and extremely happy that the GPS comp is underway, for all the obvious reasons.
I watched today, on Clutch from the 3rds onwards (GREAT system - UNTIL the New/Shore 1sts link fell off about half time), then skipped between games.
Here's my wrap.

Without doubt the most impressive team was Kings, BIG strong side, well drilled, the no 10 was super, as were the forwards and the well known 13. View tried hard and kept up with Kings for the 1st half.
I won't be surprised if View win all their remaining games, including Joeys, to finish 2nd, but a long a to go!
However history often says otherwise, eh Joeys!

Only saw bits of the New v shore game, good game, better team won but neither will challenge the top 4.

Spent most of my time, watching Joeys v Scots. At half time, thought this could be ugly, but definitely a game of 2 halves, and apparently Scots had about 6 out. Joeys went to sleep, completely, in the 2nd half half, BUT Scots rammed home'the vibe"once they scored a try in the 2nd half, and it nearly all changed. It was the 1st comp game, so things will be better executed etc as games progress.

After round 1, KINGS look the goods, as the team they beat today, View, competed well all game.
Joeys 1st half was super, and my standout in this Joeys team was the no 2, he is terrific, name and year please?

CLUCH TV was sooo good!

29Aug20 - program v Scots.jpg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agreed, rules are rules.
Although I think home students should be able to spectate, until that is the agreed rule across all GPS schools, it is not fair that Kings students are able to watch the match, cheering and singing. Also, on a side note, some of the stuff I heard coming out of that crowd left a bad taste in my mouth TBH. Not a good look for Kings
I think it’s harder for Kings to police it, if you drive into the school you literally have to circumnavigate the JS White to get anywhere. Parents are obviously allowed to come into the school to pick up and drop off kids. A few weeks ago I was picking my boys up from the boarding house which is about 30m from the oval. There was a trial game on the oval so I just wandered over for a peek while I was waiting for them. Also, if boys have been bussed to an away game they have to walk past the White to get back to their boarding houses. There were roadside security personnel asking every driver why they were there but apart from that they can’t really do any more, barring erecting a security fence.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

INP
Largely agree but in the old days you could get away with a lot more in the rucks in terms of raking, facial treatments, sly punches etc. I think the niggle has replaced all that.