• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I can't wait to see the back of Hooper, his terrible captaincy, NSW coaches, and ridiculous central contracts that select the team 5 years ahead of time.
Literally 80% of the time Hooper plays, he is the best player on the field- regardless of what jersey he puts on (and that's not hyperbole).

Gill never got a chance, because Hooper never allowed him too.

All this talk about complicity, corruption and damage to rugby in this country is actual rubbish.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A large part of Gill leaving (at least the Reds) was down to what the Reds' admin were doing - when they re-signed Graham as coach (breaking a verbal deal). And when that happened the money to go to France was probably way better than he was going to get at another Aus franchise. Which doesn't reflect how good he was, really. I don't buy the malarkey that he was "over-rated" at all. The timing certainly sucked for him.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You can really feel the QLD vs NSW tension with the Hooper vs Gill debate. Makes me think State of Origin would do pretty well. At the least, the Rebels should be made to forfeit next week so the Tahs can play the Reds in the finals.

B

Bobby Sands

Literally 80% of the time Hooper plays, he is the best player on the field- regardless of what jersey he puts on (and that's not hyperbole).

Gill never got a chance, because Hooper never allowed him too.

All this talk about complicity, corruption and damage to rugby in this country is actual rubbish.

I will bet my hat, that the Wallabies will be immediately more successful when he is not in the side.

In fact if he is so good, why has he had such a lack of results in every team he has played for (barring the Tahs winning the flag)?

Is it that everyone around him is so bad? Why haven't they got better? Why haven't his tactics worked?

If we assume he is the god of rugby that so many on here want to tell us he is - is everyone else is Australian rugby just that bad and dragging him down?

B

Bobby Sands

If Gill was good enough he would have taken the 7 spot, he didn't

Are you saying Gill was better than Pocock?????

No, your logic is corrosive.

That is not what I am saying or anyone else.

I am saying though, that effectively putting a mortgage on jerseys from the central contracting authority hinders development and morale of other players. That is not even a controversial statement.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Do you think that contract helped Australian rugby?

I can't wait to see the back of Hooper, his terrible captaincy, NSW coaches, and ridiculous central contracts that select the team 5 years ahead of time.

Taking out any argument about how good or poor Hooper played/captained. We (society in general as well), moan about players not showing loyalty, or moving abroad to earn top dollar. Yet, when RA attempted to keep one of Australia's best and consistent performers in Australia, there's complaints about keeping other suitors at bay.

I do think you're placing Gill on a pedestal here too Bobby. He was/is a great player. But he made his choice to move overseas and 'never' come back. Compare that to David Croft who was always in Phil Waugh and George Smith shadows and kept putting in shift after shift for the Reds.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I will bet my hat, that the Wallabies will be immediately more successful when he is not in the side.

In fact if he is so good, why has he had such a lack of results in every team he has played for (barring the Tahs winning the flag)?

Is it that everyone around him is so bad? Why haven't they got better? Why haven't his tactics worked?

If we assume he is the god of rugby that so many on here want to tell us he is - is everyone else is Australian rugby just that bad and dragging him down?
How were the Reds results with Gill in the team?

What a load of shit.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Unintended. Liam Gill imho is one of the greatest opens ever produced in Aus. You can argue that he sat behind Hooper and Pocock (I can't agree but at least understand the view) but to call him overrated is nonsense.

By the same token it’s equally as nonsense to call him one of the best we’ve ever produced

What metrics are you using to justify this?

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

I am saying though, that effectively putting a mortgage on jerseys from the central contracting authority hinders development and morale of other players though. That is not even a controversial statement.

Cool so McKenzie picked picked Quade cooper on big money and ARU top up every game too at flyhalf?? You know the previous reds coach who became the wallabies coach.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

I am saying though, that effectively putting a mortgage on jerseys from the central contracting authority hinders development and morale of other players though. That is not even a controversial statement.

So only Gill should have been wallabies 7 when there were 5 teams that had players wearing the 7?

So if Gill got the Wallabies 7 and got the big contract doesn't that mean that the other players not gill would have been hindered and affected morale also?

Or is it just that Hooper plays for the Tahs?

B

Bobby Sands

So only Gill should have been wallabies 7 when there were 5 teams that had players wearing the 7?

So if Gill got the Wallabies 7 and got the big contract doesn't that mean that the other players not gill would have been hindered and affected morale also?

Or is it just that Hooper plays for the Tahs?

It's quite simple bloke.

When you have a raft of options, and you choose to place all your eggs in the basket of one you disincentivize the others to perform. It is the simplest, of simple, with regards to managing talent/output.

The root of all economics is incentive, it really is that simple.

If you choose to pay a player above an beyond every other player for the longest contract in Australian history you create an imbalance in both your squad, and also the incentives for other players.

Now in the case of Pocock, he had to play 8 now because 7 was stitched up - this creates a chain-effect where other backrowers are disappointed/demotivated in missing out on places and realise we are now playing two sevens even though it doesn't make sense.

In the case of Gill he was lost to the game here. You can say he left before the contract was signed, and you would be correct, but he went to France when his passage was blocked here and then he dominated in France. I imagine he did this to see what would change in Australia a few years, but then Hooper is signed for eternity and we are stuck with him.

We placed all our eggs in Hooper and Cheika's basket, and it was a dire failure.

Hooper is the least successful Wallaby captain in history.

But I assume it's everyone else's fault - because he has been incredible, and this pitiful culture we have has nothing to do with him.

Or so I am told.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
It's quite simple bloke.

When you have a raft of options, and you choose to place all your eggs in the basket of one you disincentivize the others to perform. It is the simplest, of simple, with regards to managing talent/output.

If you choose to pay a player above an beyond every other player for the longest contract in Australian history you create an imbalance in both your squad, and also the incentives for other players.

Now in the case of Pocock, he had to play 8 now because 7 was stitched up - this creates a chain-effect where other backrowers are disappointed/demotivated in missing out on places and realise we are now playing two sevens even though it doesn't make sense.

In the case of Gill he was lost to the game here. You can say he left before the contract was signed, and you would be correct, but he went to France when his passage was blocked here and then he dominated in France. I imagine he did this to see what would change in Australia a few years, but then Hooper is signed for eternity and we are stuck with him.

We placed all our eggs in Hooper and Cheika's basket, and it was a dire failure.

But I assume it's everyone else's fault - because he has been incredible, and this pitiful culture we have has nothing to do with him.

Or so I am told.

So the ARU put all of the eggs in one basket.

You mean they only signed Hooper??

Or was Pocock also on big money too???

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

There’s an argument to be had that he wasn’t even the best 7 in the French comp, Armitage was going pretty good around then

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
It's quite simple bloke.

Or so I am told.

Ok, here is one for you

If Gill played for the Tahs and got the big contract and Hooper played for the reds would you be attacking Gill??

B

Bobby Sands

Ok, here is one for you

If Gill played for the Tahs and got the big contract and Hooper played for the reds would you be attacking Gill??

You don't get it do you?

No-one should have been given that deal.

Especially when we have so much talent in the position.