• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Results from Newington v Shore

1sts Newington def Shore 36-21

Great win from a very young team, unloved on these threads by all those from other schools who desperately wanted them to lose.

2nds Shore def Newington 27-21

A game which could have gone either way until the last play when a Newington maul was pulled down a metre from the try line as they were about to score

16A Shore 33 def Newington 29

Newington led 24-0 at one stage before a Shore comeback. 2 tries in the last 2 minutes saw Shore snatch the win.

Other games

3rds BYE
4ths Newington def Shore 41-5
5ths Shore def Newington 21-17
6ths Shore def Newington 19-0

16B Shore def Newington 21-12
16C Shore def Newington 63-0

15A Newington def Shore 45-19
15B Shore def Newington 17-14
15C Shore def Newington 29-24
unsure of other results in this age group

14A Newington def Shore 31-12
14B Shore def Newington 14-5
14C Shore def Newington 41-0

13A Newington def Shore 36-12
13B Newington def Shore 37-7
13C Newington def Shore 60-12
13D and 13E were both won comfortably by Newington

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Many thanks Ace,

I am a bit surprised reading the Scots line up, it looks as though all/nearly all their stars are in the team, eg Josh Wong,Clifton Hansen etc.
If so, then the Joeys win is greater than first thought.

these are two lineups from the Trial (8 Aug) v yesterday for Joeys v Scots. Big names missing for Scots are Brial and Kalokalo (others?)

scots - trial v comp.JPG

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
thought the score flattered Scots in the end - they were never really in it. Mind you, they had a big gun in their mid-field whom they didn't use effectively - big unit who looked all at sea most of the game, but very dangerous with ball in hand and a little room. I would play him at No8.
Scots won the 2nd half 29-14 - 5 tries to 2 - largely due to loss of focus by Joeys - two soft tries on their line while they were looking the other way but the other three were well worked. Had their kicker been on song - he missed three kickables - the score would have been 40-35 which would have had a few worried faces on the sidelines.
3 Scots tries were just individual efforts - 2 by Clifton (1 he just dived forward with no one in front of him), 1 by Hansen chasing a wayward clearing pass. The other two came from individual missed tackles. I wouldn’t describe any of them as particularly well worked team tries, more opportunistic. They were good enough to take advantage of the gifts they were given. Don’t think that will happen again.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it’s harder for Kings to police it, if you drive into the school you literally have to circumnavigate the JS White to get anywhere. Parents are obviously allowed to come into the school to pick up and drop off kids. A few weeks ago I was picking my boys up from the boarding house which is about 30m from the oval. There was a trial game on the oval so I just wandered over for a peek while I was waiting for them. Also, if boys have been bussed to an away game they have to walk past the White to get back to their boarding houses. There were roadside security personnel asking every driver why they were there but apart from that they can’t really do any more, barring erecting a security fence.
They can kick all the kids in the grandstand out. There are meant to be no spectators, boys or adults. If you aren’t on the sideline as a reserve there is no reason for you to be there. If other schools can manage to do it I can’t see any reason Kings can’t. Most of them have actually closed the gates so people aren’t allowed in for that very reason.

RaRaMum

Bob McCowan (2)
They can kick all the kids in the grandstand out. There are meant to be no spectators, boys or adults. If you aren’t on the sideline as a reserve there is no reason for you to be there. If other schools can manage to do it I can’t see any reason Kings can’t. Most of them have actually closed the gates so people aren’t allowed in for that very reason.
I wasn’t there during 1sts so I don’t know but it’s possible that the crowd noise on Cluch was the players from the 2nds. I went past during the 2nds and there were only players, coaches, some ball boys and officials. Agree some of the audio via cluch was average but you couldn’t see a crowd. Was there anyone there who actually saw a crowd?

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
3 Scots tries were just individual efforts - 2 by Clifton (1 he just dived forward with no one in front of him), 1 by Hansen chasing a wayward clearing pass. The other two came from individual missed tackles. I wouldn’t describe any of them as particularly well worked team tries, more opportunistic. They were good enough to take advantage of the gifts they were given. Don’t think that will happen again.

yeah, I was being generous. For a team to lead by 4 tries to zip at halftime and then to ship 5 tries in the 2nd half is beyond careless. The boys will be doing their penance at training this week.
On a side note, it was interesting to note the scrums in that game. Scots scrum coach Damien Cummins (Joeys Old Boy) vs Joeys scrum coach Andrew Blades (ex-Scots forwards coach) - Scots took the honours in the trial on 8th Aug but I thought Joeys won a points decision yesterday, although not a whitewash. Good display of scrum technique from both packs.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I wasn’t there during 1sts so I don’t know but it’s possible that the crowd noise on Cluch was the players from the 2nds. I went past during the 2nds and there were only players, coaches, some ball boys and officials. Agree some of the audio via cluch was average but you couldn’t see a crowd. Was there anyone there who actually saw a crowd?
I was going to articulate something similar. Presumably they were filming from the scoreboard. Anyone who was allowed to be there would have been directly below that and it’s entirely possible that the acoustics made it sound like there were more people than there actually was, or at least all of those people accounted for the noise. The day I wandered over all I saw were staff or participants - this was prior to the latest directives I should add.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
I was going to articulate something similar. Presumably they were filming from the scoreboard. Anyone who was allowed to be there would have been directly below that and it’s entirely possible that the acoustics made it sound like there were more people than there actually was, or at least all of those people accounted for the noise. The day I wandered over all I saw were staff or participants - this was prior to the latest directives I should add.
Yes am sure they were definitely boys - but no singing and no chanting - and that’s what was going on - they need to cut that out.

Luca A

Frank Nicholson (4)

I watched the game on Cluch and was surprised by the crowd noise. I asked a colleague who was at the game for professional reasons and he confirmed that the chanting boys were in fact the King's second XV.

Luca A

Frank Nicholson (4)

According to AAGPS regulations, players should leave the premises as soon as possible after the end of their game.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
It’s pretty black and white to me. No spectators allowed other than officials and players (including reserves). There’s no way Kings needed the whole 2nd XV to back up for their 1’s. Also, if schools aren’t allowed choir performances at graduation ceremonies, how can they think it’s acceptable to be singing and chanting. I know it sounds crazy, and I agree, but it’s what the world has come to. And everyone should follow the same rules.
Not a good look from Kings.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Results from Newington v Shore

1sts Newington def Shore 36-21

Great win from a very young team, unloved on these threads by all those from other schools who desperately wanted them to lose.

2nds Shore def Newington 27-21

A game which could have gone either way until the last play when a Newington maul was pulled down a metre from the try line as they were about to score

16A Shore 33 def Newington 29

Newington led 24-0 at one stage before a Shore comeback. 2 tries in the last 2 minutes saw Shore snatch the win.

Other games

3rds BYE
4ths Newington def Shore 41-5
5ths Shore def Newington 21-17
6ths Shore def Newington 19-0

16B Shore def Newington 21-12
16C Shore def Newington 63-0

15A Newington def Shore 45-19
15B Shore def Newington 17-14
15C Shore def Newington 29-24

14A Newington def Shore 31-12
14B Shore def Newington 14-5
14C Shore def Newington 41-0

13A Newington def Shore 36-12
13B Newington def Shore 37-7
13C Newington def Shore 60-12
13D and 13E were both won comfortably by Newington

QH, I think Shore must have won the other games in 14's & 15's because their results tally was 13 wins/10 losses for the day. Shore lost thirds to View so based on your results tally above that means Shore won the remaining fixtures. 6 Shore teams had bye's.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
I won't be surprised if View win all their remaining games, including Joeys, to finish 2nd, but a long way to go!

Hi there WLF.

Good to have you on the GPS forum and I enjoy your White Line Fever commentary on the CAS thread!

I was one of those who predicted big things for the Riverview side this season, but it has to be said they have not quite clicked into gear yet and I believe that they will need to improve significantly to win their remaining games and finish second.

They have some very talented players in their 1st XV and I will be interested to see how they go against Newington at Stanmore next week in the lead up to their clash with the Cerise & Blue at Lane Cove the following week.

The teams don't have much time to hit form with the remaining four rounds all done in the next 20 days.

Cheers
INP

Hamish McCathie

Frank Row (1)
Kings and View
Normally this match will be a hard one to pick, but even without $uaalli and Peni$iniI believe the Kings lads will be able to cover the View boys. The real battle of course does not happen on the oval but on the hill overlooking the ground. Here we shall see a range of picnic spreads doing battle in time honored tradition. Like Rolls V Mercedes, Rolex vs TAG we see who can out-bling the other. Kings mothers will open with a Pea and mint dip with labne and radishes and Rosemary focaccia with salume. Riverview mums we respond with their renowned Celeriac and kohlrabi rémoulade and Pumpkin, goat's curd and thyme tart. What will decide the competing baskets will be the sweets and wine options. Kings mothers will be confident that their Rhubarb and raspberry brownie will match well with their Fontodi Vin Santo 2007. Riverview though will previal with their favourite Lime and coconut cake with pineapple glaze that goes nicely with a glass of Accordini Recioto Classico Acinatico 2013. A show stopper! Whatever will happen, Kings on the field by 10, View on the hill by one Sticky cinnamon finger bun.

4czhlw.jpg

Why were you at Cranbrook RD Joker?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi there WLF.

Good to have you on the GPS forum and I enjoy your White Line Fever commentary on the CAS thread!

I was one of those who predicted big things for the Riverview side this season, but it has to be said they have not quite clicked into gear yet and I believe that they will need to improve significantly to win their remaining games and finish second.

They have some very talented players in their 1st XV and I will be interested to see how they go against Newington at Stanmore next week in the lead up to their clash with the Cerise & Blue at Lane Cove the following week.

The teams don't have much time to hit form with the remaining four rounds all done in the next 20 days.

Cheers
INP

Many thanks INP,

Whilst our CAS season is over, clearly we haven't had enough schoolboy footy, and to now be able to watch all 3 weekly GPS games on Cluch is a treat, even if we can't attend.

As previously explained the score in the View/Kings game didn't reflect the game, thus my prediction.
Another possibility is that View win the comp, a Kings loss is not impossible, nor a Joeys loss, and View can influence this.

I did think Kings were very polished with a strong forward pack and some quality backs, but View kept with them for most of the match. View definitely missed their quality no 10, not that the quality replacement (ha ha) didn't do well but he is an IC and there is a big difference which makes a huge difference in the back line strike power.

If Scots are able to put a full strength team on the field, they they to, could still win this comp. no doubt.

Of interest to me, and many others, are the number of super year 11 boys scattered over several teams.
I have said it before that next years rounds will see probably 5-6 teams that may have their strongest teams for several years, in both the GPS and CAS, so we hope we get a full season, and all play each other.

Anyway, your season is still young, and after 1 round, some teams probably haven't hit their peak yet.
It could be that Cluch becomes a permanent thing, being able to swap between games live, is super, and across many grades.

As it stands the GPS comp is there to be won!

RaRaMum

Bob McCowan (2)
It looked like there was a difference in fitness levels in the final quarter of the Kings View game-View looked cooked. The Kings 8 plays like 6/7 and those 3 outpace larger opposition forwards. All of them play their positions and as a team well. I hate to say this but the Kings team looks like the teams that Joeys typically produce-a little smaller, fitter, agile and play well as a team. Would love to see Sualli play in this team.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
There has been a bit of talk that Okane has signed a large contract (6 figures) with the Brisbane broncos top 30 squad to replace a second rower who has been on the outer with the club in recent weeks. Unconfirmed but I have heard this from multiple sources. Would be a massive loss for both the west’s tigers and rugby union if true.
BP.