• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Conal McInerney is a late call up to the PONI list. Would that put him ahead of either BPA or Horton?

Personally, I would have both Blyth and Lee-Warner in front of Rob Simmons, but I guess you all know that.

Dempsey for sure out of that lot. Swinton looks like a wannabe hardman and is not yet up to test standard. Is Stander even eligible?

Not much to discuss about the backs. Omitting Harrison to accompany Lolesio in their development paths could be a missed opportunity. I'd take Magnay from your list of extras, but I query why not Paisami?

EDIT : just a thought - why no player under the Giteau rule, or whatever replaces it? I reckon Rory Arnold would be there in an eye blink if the rules are amended to allow it.

It might, but Mcinerney for me is journeyman material, not wallaby material. Amosa has a dynamic point of difference (but can't throw), as does Horton (but is tiny)

I think you can't pass up Simmons for a spot as one of 6 spots. Wallaby insider says he is undoubtedly the best set piece lock in Aus, plus imagine how much Hosea and Blyth could learn from him. His brain is what we need, not his muscle.

Stander is eligible and in the PONI squad, but I think Dempsey would be my go to aswell

I thought Paisami was injured but saw this morning he is back in. I'd potentially take both him and Magnay over Godwin. I did not omit Harrison.

If eligibility get's tweaked for this campaign then I'd go for Rodda and Skelton as they are the 2 locks that will most likely come back for a WC push. I love Arnold but I don't think he will ever come back

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I say we go all Ben Darwin on this:

1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 AAA
4 Blyth
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Wright
7 McReight
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Daugunu
12 Simone
13 Kuridrani
14 Wright
15 Banks

Having worked with Ben, this probably wouldn't create great cohesion. What will help, and this was the sentiment of Kafer's article the other day, is picking guys who have played together across the park. I was suprised how many interactions a fullback has with their front row but this all impacts a teams ability to understand eachother.

Good signs for the future with a big group of young players who all know/have played together!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely we just pick the (former) Under20s?

I think the issue Ben will raise is that the teams are littered with 6's and 7's rather than 8's and 9's and so the cohesion factor won't be as prominent as players general (lack of) ability.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Forward pack looks pretty cohesive but I think we can do better in the backs:

I say we go all Ben Darwin on this:

1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 AAA
4 Blyth
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Wright
7 McReight
8 Wilson
9 McDermott
10 JOC (James O'Connor) B. Foley
11 Daugunu
12 Simone K. Beale
13 Kuridrani
14 Wright
15 Banks I. Folau

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/...tAEVYsURRF7IHXRPluBEMQhidNad935EoGXLpoKp_3ei8

Rugby.com.au trying to throw the 9 jersey Nic White's way. Not sure that 90 seconds going to be enough. McDermott has been up there for me with Gordon a little way behind.

Rubbish - White is the incumbent and at this point while not played much in super rugby au his past endeavours and overseas form makes him certain starter with Tate on the bench. Barring injury white will be starting half for first test game played this year

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rubbish - White is the incumbent and at this point while not played much in super rugby au his past endeavours and overseas form makes him certain starter with Tate on the bench. Barring injury white will be starting half for first test game played this year

It's not rubbish. The article title was giving him the role on 40s.

There is a difference between the form half and the incumbent but White is not the form half. Selectors will pick him. And the coach may choose to start him. It just wont be because of form.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It'd be hard to make a case for White to play nine if either of those guys were picked...

I'm not sure about a Powell/Kuenzle or Powell/Lolesio halves combination personally, but I'll support Rennie in his decision making.........

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s a solid argument. If we’re looking at minutes played as a combo this season, out of realistic contenders the pecking order would be:

1. McDermott/O’Connor
2. Gordon/Harrison

3. Powell/Lolesio
4. White/Kuenzle

By the end of the season #4 may have moved into #3. When is Noah back though?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd want my starting halfback to play with my flyhalf every week barring exceptional circumstances. But that's just me.
Not sure about prior to professionalism, but only 1 World Cup winning combo (Gregan and Larkham) has come from guys that played together at club level. I’d rather pick the two best guys and they can build a combo from there, that way the ceiling is higher once cohesion is achieved.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If you had to build the team around one of the ‘spines’, which would you pick?

Brumbies: Fainga'a . Samu . White . Kuenzle . Banks .
Reds: BPA . Wilson . McDermott . JOC (James O'Connor) . Campbell .
Tahs: Horton . Dempsey . Gordon . Harrison . Maddocks .
Rebs: Uelese . Naisarani . Tuttle . To'omua . DHP/Hodge .
Force: Ready . Stowers . Prior . Lance . McGregor .

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you had to build the team around one of the ‘spines’, which would you pick?

Brumbies: Fainga'a . Samu . White . Kuenzle . Banks .
Reds: BPA . Wilson . McDermott . JOC (James O'Connor) . Campbell .
Tahs: Horton . Dempsey . Gordon . Harrison . Maddocks .
Rebs: Uelese . Naisarani . Tuttle . To'omua . DHP/Hodge .
Force: Ready . Stowers . Prior . Lance . McGregor .
Best chance to win a Bledisloe this year - Reds
Best chance to win the World Cup in 2023 - Tahs

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd want my starting halfback to play with my flyhalf every week barring exceptional circumstances. But that's just me.

Sully that's a fine sentiment but does history support it as a necessary way to go? How many tests did Lynagh play outside a Qld halfback? Genia/Cooper was an excellent partnership but not exclusive to either one. Similarly, Gregan and Bernie. I suppose had the partnership benefits been paramount in the past, people like Ben Darwin wouldn't be spruiking cohesion as the panacea to our problems right now.

I see no issue with a combination of White and To'omua or O'Connor in the upcoming tests if that's what Rennie wants.