• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2020

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
118771380_10157933274403214_5949116460243329243_n.jpg

Why does this remind me of someone on here?

g00gle

Banned
In sendit's defence I was looking through the Newport photos on their facebook and found his description to match. I'm no mathematician but that does look like a lot of people on just the front row of that balcony.

Igd5qDt.jpg

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
That stuff is going on at grounds all over sydney, every week.

I won't mention names of clubs, but I saw some kids play u8's on saturday, and when they took lid off the container with the lollies, a kid basically sneezes all over them, and before anyone can do anything, half the kids have reached in, grabbed a lolly and had em in their mouths.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
In sendit's defence I was looking through the Newport photos on their facebook and found his description to match. I'm no mathematician but that does look like a lot of people on just the front row of that balcony.

Igd5qDt.jpg

Fuck me I don’t know what they were paying those security guards but I’d be asking for my money back ASAP

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
okay then, let the players make a buck out of it then too. can't have your cake and eat it.

The money doesn't go to clubs. It goes to Subbies. You understand that, right? And that Subbies doesn't pay players in your pre-2015 world, but clubs do?

Goes a long way to solving the numbers issue as well.

Goes a long way to destroying clubs, too. As someone associated with Brothers you should probably understand that better than most. I know Renegades do.

$15 to watch subbies rugby is absurd. You can go to an AFL match for less.

OK so go to an AFL match instead. Easy.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
okay then, let the players make a buck out of it then too. can't have your cake and eat it. Goes a long way to solving the numbers issue as well.

$15 to watch subbies rugby is absurd. You can go to an AFL match for less.

I think you have bigger issues in your life if you can't afford $15 entry.

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Its just fuckin dumb.. surely amateur park footy is free...

who honestly outside other players in other grades are going to watch these games.

Why does everything have to be as difficult and inaccessible as possible with subbies.

Blue card protocols that basically see anyone concussed not bothering to go through to rigmarole to ever come back, the absolute debacle that is fusesport.

Honestly, dont we want people to come and watch these games, people break out into fits of laughter at the gates when they're hit up for $15...

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
The money doesn't go to clubs. It goes to Subbies. You understand that, right? And that Subbies doesn't pay players in your pre-2015 world, but clubs do?

Thats worse though.. so subbies have the hide to profess this holier than thou attitude about amateurism and then charge people to watch that same competition at the gate.. please. I just think by principle that's wrong.

Everything just seems so difficult, I could never deal with them and don't envy anyone that does.

In a world where you did allow match payments, you'd bring back grades worth of players that can't justify playing otherwise. Even if you just allowed it in Kentwell.

I just don't see it as the mortal sin most people do.. I just reckon its indicative of the very typical holier than thou "rugby" attitude that has basically led to Australia being a tier 2 nation. Then again, maybe I'm the dickhead.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fusesport is showing Manly Savers V Wakehurst at Manly Oval.

Very recent change. The opportunity for Manly Oval came up at the start of the week and there was a bit of to and fro because Wakehurst were practically locked in.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Okey dokey finals picks after the Renegades bowed out with a bit of a messy Round 7 for personnel.

DIVISION 4
McLean Cup
Irish (1) vs Dukes (4) - Irish are pretty solid and adhere to KISS. Dukes have fallen off the horse the last couple of weeks and lost probably their best player to suspension after a bad tackle on the weekend.
IRISH to advance with a 20 point win. They've got a game plan perfect for finals rugby but can't handle size in close

Raptors (2) vs Canterbury (3) - both sides finishing with a wet sail, and impressive wins over early contenders Dukes. This will be pure attrition in contact.
RAPTORS head to the big show against Irish with a runaway last 15 minutes.

Grose Cup
Canterbury (1) vs Dukes (4) - Canterbury's Fijians came back last round as evidenced by the complete humping they gave Dukes (96-0) and I don't see anything changing.
BERRIES in a canter.

Raptors (2) vs Irish (3) - Raptors will have rested their injuries after a last-round forfeit from Convicts, but I don't think it'll matter to their form. Open selection will help both clubs but from observing Raptors, they have depth for another grade and potentially Colts next year. They can be a powerhouse in Subbies and just need to look at how they capitalise on that moving forward.
RAPTORS in a close one.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Okey dokey finals picks after the Renegades bowed out with a bit of a messy Round 7 for personnel.

DIVISION 4
McLean Cup
Irish (1) vs Dukes (4) - Irish are pretty solid and adhere to KISS. Dukes have fallen off the horse the last couple of weeks and lost probably their best player to suspension after a bad tackle on the weekend.
IRISH to advance with a 20 point win. They've got a game plan perfect for finals rugby but can't handle size in close

Raptors (2) vs Canterbury (3) - both sides finishing with a wet sail, and impressive wins over early contenders Dukes. This will be pure attrition in contact.
RAPTORS head to the big show against Irish with a runaway last 15 minutes.

Grose Cup
Canterbury (1) vs Dukes (4) - Canterbury's Fijians came back last round as evidenced by the complete humping they gave Dukes (96-0) and I don't see anything changing.
BERRIES in a canter.

Raptors (2) vs Irish (3) - Raptors will have rested their injuries after a last-round forfeit from Convicts, but I don't think it'll matter to their form. Open selection will help both clubs but from observing Raptors, they have depth for another grade and potentially Colts next year. They can be a powerhouse in Subbies and just need to look at how they capitalise on that moving forward.
RAPTORS in a close one.

Fitzy, who are the Raptors, where are they based?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fitzy, who are the Raptors, where are they based?

Western Raptors started up last year (winning Division 6) and are based in Hassall Grove - catchment is essentially Mt Druitt, just to the west of Renegades Rugby.

There has been a junior club called Western Raptors for quite a while now, but they're not joined at the hip. More of a loose association.

Very heavily Pacific Islander, and while they've had a few disciplinary issues in their short history, they're constantly working to address it. Strong club culture with enough players for at least 3 teams, they're building slowly to ensure they don't fizzle and burn. In speaking to them, a lot of their existing guys qualify for Colts through to next year so that might be the next target.

It is Western Sydney so league is the main game in town, but these guys are working their arses off to make themselves a success and will keep rugby in the spotlight as a side note.

Like a lot of the newer clubs, they're subject to Council ground management and maintenance (Blacktown in this case) so they will need to start getting in Council's ear about upgrading their facilities. I played cricket at the ground a few times back in the 90s and it needed a bit of love back then!

Very welcoming hosts, extremely gracious in victory, and always grateful for any advice or contact I give them.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
You sure? you sound kinda insulted given that reply lol

So we aren't supposed to call out stuff like this at a time of a pandemic? We are supposed to just let it slide and have a little chuckle "oh well they tried, good on em"?

What clubs am i assessing? Only mentioned one and again id challenge they didn't meet their obligations. I'm talking about the clubhouse not the actual sidelines, unless the clubhouse is part of the public park?

Like i said previously, if i didn't recognize the clubhouse i would've said it were a inner city bar/pub pre-covid, but maybe i just saw multiple videos with really bad camera angles that made it look like it was pretty packed full of people standing shoulder to shoulder? If you were in the clubhouse for the day and are able to correct me i'm more than happy to retract my comment

I both work in the sports industry and am a volunteer at a "small community club" in another code, accountability is great and has ensured we are able to continue to operate during a trying time. I know our clubhouse have remained closed so as to avoid such a scenario.

Nobody is above accountability at a time like this and how lax you seem to be regarding it is pretty fucking concerning especially when trying to point the finger at the manly/warringah game or asking what club I'm affiliated with as a means to discredit my comments, shows a real lack of maturity & accountability towards the situation

Sendit, sendit
Who was pointing the figure at Manly vs Rats? I was simply pointing out the crowd on television appeared not to be social distanced, no doubt despite the best efforts of organisers. I asked what club you were affilated with out of interest as you are an infrequent poster. Nothing more nothing less. I take my hat of to anyone who steps up to volunteer and gives their time free of charge to run community sport.
My point was Newport appearred to have taken every reasonable step they could to prepare to operate as safely as possible given the amount of community support they receive. In subbies fairyland telling supporters not to come does not stop people going to a public oval. 1000 people show up and you have zero preparation. As volunteers Im sure they did there best, even with paid security to assist. I was on the deck watching the Rats and can confirm the clubhouse/deck was capped at 50.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Sudden death footy, previous form out the window and the bounce of the ball can decide your season. Good luck to all teams.

Div 3
1st grade
Beecroft vs Iggies: playing each other for the 2nd week in a row after Iggies let a big lead go with Beecroft scoring 3 converted tries to pip them by a point must have hurt. I'm going to go with Beecroft to do it again in another high scoring fixture.
Newport vs Briars: Breakers undefeated but give away plenty of size to the big Briars pack. I'm nervous but Newport defence has been the best in comp and their young quick backline ooze talent so will go with Newport to run away late in this one.

2nd grade
Newport vs Beecroft: Newport have a very good scrum and a creative backline, so I think they will have just a little too much for Beecroft in this one.
Iggies vs Briars: I think Iggies will prove to polished in the set piece and they have a quick backline that will proff to much for Briars who can be proud they have made 1s and 2s semis first up back in 3rd div.

Colts
Beecroft vs Hawkesbury Valley: Going to go with the upset here, HV have been in good form, they have some big boppers and it their discipline can hold they can win this.
Newport vs Iggies: 2 weeks ago the Breakers let a 17-5 lead go with 10 to go. They wont do the same this time. Iggies have a great set piece but Newport Colts are red hot and they will be hungry to go for Premiership number 4 on the trot.

3rds
Beecroft vs Newport: Beecroft appear to be peaking at the right time with a sensational victory over a very good Iggies side last week. I think they might have just a little to much for Newport in a close one.
Iggies vs Blacktown: up until last weeks result I had Iggies as a Premiership certainty, every team can have an off day and I think they will win this one 30+ and then go on to win the GF.

Lets hope Clutch TV does there job tomorrow with no issues around streaming!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
MELDRUM CUP
Savers (1) vs Wakehurst (4) - I'd say not much to see here. Savers are undefeated and have the discipline and hunger after the last few years in the finals without a win.
SAVERS to advance with a pragmatic win.

Brothers (2) vs Balmain (3) - could be very tasty. Brothers started very slowly with losses to Savers and Wakehurst (!) but nobody else came within 20 points of them since. Balmain have been a little hot and cold, leaking a lot of points in the process.
BROTHERS to get up and look for a win next week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
JEFFREY CUP
Oysters (1) vs KOBs (4) - the minor undefeated premiers will make life tough for the young blokes. I reckon they'll do undefeated major premiers as well. Kings went off the boil a little after the last 2 rounds.
OYSTERS by a few lengths.

Burraneer (2) v Sea Lice (3) - grudge match! Dolphins got up in the 84th minute last time they met so the Lice will be out for revenge. Neither side will care if they win by a point.
SEA LICE in an upset after they rolled KOBs and then Engadine the last couple of weeks.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
MELDRUM CUP
Savers (1) vs Wakehurst (4) - I'd say not much to see here. Savers are undefeated and have the discipline and hunger after the last few years in the finals without a win.
SAVERS to advance with a pragmatic win.

Brothers (2) vs Balmain (3) - could be very tasty. Brothers started very slowly with losses to Savers and Wakehurst (!) but nobody else came within 20 points of them since. Balmain have been a little hot and cold, leaking a lot of points in the process.
BROTHERS to get up and look for a win next week.

Heavyb, you confident?