• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting that he mentions being welcomed by Godwin and the Force have used this in their media statement. Perhaps it's becoming more likely that Godwin won't head off to the Waratahs as rumoured (which would be good news given his form this year at the Force)...

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Definitely think his form has been good. Has been a consistent performer, making plenty of metres, especially in contact and cleaning up quite a bit of loose ball and messy backline play.
I think consistent is probably the best you can say about Godwin (echoing RR's comment above). I really hope the Waratahs look to spend that contract money elsewhere.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
really? I think he has been adequate if anything.

Maybe its a matter of opinion. Along with Ralston, he has been one of the Force's best backs. Keep in mind that Godwin was a late entrant to the squad. A squad with few, if any, frills. I'd be interested to see how he goes with more time in the squad and with (presumably) a stronger pack next year. Petaia's last few games aside, I can't think of any other 12s or 13s who have been streets ahead.

B

Bobby Sands

Maybe its a matter of opinion. Along with Ralston, he has been one of the Force's best backs. Keep in mind that Godwin was a late entrant to the squad. A squad with few, if any, frills. I'd be interested to see how he goes with more time in the squad and with (presumably) a stronger pack next year. Petaia's last few games aside, I can't think of any other 12s or 13s who have been streets ahead.

Super well balanced player, without having any out and out weapons. I am a big fan of Godwin.

B

Bobby Sands

You're a big fan of Godwin, yet very happy to eager to criticise Alex Newsome or Joey Walton? What am I missing here..

I like Newsome? I think he's a good player and I have said as much a few times. He's handy, and has good footwork.

I think Joey Walton lacks a few weapons, but happy to be proven wrong.

What do you like about Walton's game?

Godwin has no skill deficiencies, he is good at all facets of the game (both sides of the ball, is a good ball player well) we don't have too many of those in Australia.

I really like Hamish as a 12, and think Godwin's best position is 12 despite being played at 13.

I would have Godwin over both Walton or Newsome.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
really? I think he has been adequate if anything.

Agree that Godwin didn't set the world on fire. But I don't think a lot of the backline did.

They looked good in the first two games when it was mostly the original GRR guys playing + Lance.

But after they started chopping and changing I think they lost a lot of continuity. It was evident that Kahui and Godwin had no real playing rapport with each other and that killed them.

Hopefully an off season together will get the backline humming.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah Godwin could be a good 12 with the right people inside and out.

Would love Pasitoa to play 10 and Godwin at 12 outside him is good. They just need a dominant 13 really. Not sure who that could be. Joe Tomane???

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
So Robertsons signing was announced just after the Tahs were knocked out. I am wondering if we'll be announcing some more on Monday. Probably more likely if the Reds win.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force vow to include local talent as they eye off huge names in recruiting ploy
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Sat, 12 September 2020
Western Force are getting ready to “pull triggers” likely to send alarm bells ringing through Australian Super Rugby.
Coach Tim Sampson and former captain Matt Hodgson, now head of rugby in billionaire Andrew Forrest’s Global Rapid Rugby, are drawing up a big-name player shopping list.
And it’s causing concern among cash-strapped Eastern States clubs that Forrest’s backing could produce a Super Rugby superclub.
There was stony silence from the same quarters in 2017 when Rugby Australia refused Forrest’s $70 million to keep the Force alive as they poured millions into the Melbourne Rebels.

Not that Hodgson is too concerned about what they think across the Nullarbor.
“We are in the marketplace and can move quickly. We are ready to pull some triggers,” Hodgson said.
“We know how to make our squad successful and we are ready to make changes.
“We’ll be moving pretty quickly on players, top players, in and out of the Australian system.”
The Force have already signed Wallabies prop Tom Robertson from the Waratahs and are in discussions with a number of other players.

Wallabies second-rower Izack Rodda was a target for the Super season after he was cut by the Queensland Reds following a pay dispute until he moved to French club Lyon.
Others who may be of interest are Harry Hocking, Isaac Lucas, Will Skelton, Adam Coleman and Sean McMahon.
But Hodgson also vowed to maintain a focus on local talent. When the Force were axed a third of the squad had come through local pathways.

Hodgson had a first hand look at the current squad while in the team Super hubs.
“We used it as a 10-week review of players and the coaching set up,” Hodgson said.
“We’ll implement changes so we’re ready to roll out our new template based on what we have here and what we need for the best team environment.”

The Force are not waiting for the outcome of talks between RA and the NZ Rugby Union on the future of Super Rugby.
A number of possibilities are on the table but uprooting the club to play in the Kiwi competition is not a realistic option.
“We’re working through different scenarios,” Hodgson said.

Despite being winless in their eight Super games Hodgson was proud of the side’s achievements in difficult circumstances.
“To do what we did in 10 weeks on the road with only three weeks preparation is pretty amazing,” he said.
“It’s pretty amazing to see the transition of the squad from where we were three years ago.
“To have been on that stage has validated what we have done and shown we are doing the right thing.
“It just shows you need the right type of coaching, the right type of pathway, the right type of system.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ng-b881664097z

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Surely once the competition format is decided they will agree on a salary cap? They might give the Force a bit of leeway in year one as they need to rebuild and entice players West but going forward it has to be a level playing field doesn't it?