• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
TK needs to just put some of his test performances into Super off the Kava in the offseason. The guys our best defensive 13, Just needs to get back to the TK who was playing skittles with SpringBok and Kiwis.

And if not his given great service to Aus and Brumbies..

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Everyone here has totally written him off as the worst player ever to make the Wallabies, but to my mind a backrow of Hanigan, Hooper and Samu would be our best option with both Wright and Wilson on the bench.

Sounds like you've picked three guys who are all hard workers, but none excel at bending the line or drawing more than one tackler in.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wasnt the one who said that individual players data can be accessed. That would be a breach of privacy and no one would consent to it anyway.

However, there is absolutely a centralised database that Catapult create from collecting users data via their Playertek system and it does get shared as a consolidated dataset within their product. Its is used for player benchmarking purposes and for research purposes for product enhancement. Remember - the original Catapult product started from data collected from years of AIS athlete observations and the founders wrapped hardware and software around that dataset.

If you dont believe me, this is direct from their website FAQ's:
"Will we disclose your personal information to others? In the case of PlayerTek, performance data of players in the PlayerTek community is shared through features in the app which enable comparisons and rankings of player performance."
And;
"...for product development and enhancement and we may share player data for commercial applications and enhancement of other Catapult product data feeds where that use is consistent with our contractual terms."

It is the same database that was used to create the benchmarks for the load management passports that World Rugby developed in 2019.

Apologies I thought you were the one who posted the initial comment.

Load management passports are not the same as a global database of players gps data, one is a highly controlled item by the player/organisation which is presented to the relevant authorities when required, another is the compete ingestion of data into a central database where all elements can access.

Having worked with a NRL side S&C team for a number of years, it’s my experience that the data collected on players is a tightly controlled item that will never be shared with the opposition, the NRL have introduced rules which forces the teams to give up some of the match day data, but this is for the purpose of enhancing the broadcasting package through on-screen statistics. And even then the data which is collected, and who can then access it is limited to a few key metrics.

Professional sporting teams like the Wallabies/Waratahs are not providing the gps data of their players to a central database where other countries can access. It’s just not happening, and there’s clear reasons for this.
Australia Rugby contracted Accenture for consolidating the data of Wallabies and Super Rugby players, unsure if that contract still exists.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sounds like you've picked three guys who are all hard workers, but none excel at bending the line or drawing more than one tackler in.

I would have chosen Naisirani at 8 for precisely that reason, but this is no longer an option. Rennie has chosen few line-bending types (he seems to prefer workhorses). Wilson to me is more a gap-runner than a line-bender.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I noticed a lot of Glasgow fans on twitter saying he never picked big ball carriers during his stint there.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
He doesn’t really jump ahead of Petaia, Kerevi or Paisami though, all of whom are on the rise whilst TK declines.

I've fallen into this trap with Kuridrani before; watching him have a mediocre super rugby season and advocating for him to be left out of the Wallabies, only for him to be selected and consistently be one of the most important line-breaking players (particularly close to the tryline) and a defensive lynchpin.

Don't get me wrong, I support a national coach (especially a brand new one) selecting on form, but I don't think Kuridrani is on an inexorable decline at 29.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have chosen Naisirani at 8 for precisely that reason, but this is no longer an option. Rennie has chosen few line-bending types (he seems to prefer workhorses). Wilson to me is more a gap-runner than a line-bender.

too many pies
We hear there is an issue with Naisarani’s weight, and that he may yet be part of the Hunter camp, though won’t be flying to New Zealand. If he can get his weight down in two weeks, he’ll be strongly considered for TRC starting November 7.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/5b8aa6299301c1e506c70029ce3fd0db

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They are probably holding out to see whether Uelese is fit. I'd take Latu myself, but curious to see how Skelton would go.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Until Australia finds a 6 that fulfils all the critical roles of the modern 6 with distinction, they will not be able to have a consistently competitive pack. Everyone plays a fast game now. There is no such magical gear any longer. A great 6 is a unique animal that can play like 7 at times, link like an 8, or play like a lock forward in contact. He can jump anywhere in the lineout, fulfil a roving role in defense or play wide in attack. He has to be on of your three primary ball carriers or he is not good enough.

That is not Wright or McReight. There are loads of "Wright" type players running around professional comps around the world.I can list 7 or 8 from NZ and up North. Great players who will never play test rugby. Solid, dependable, do their job really well, but test class performers they are not.

I hope that Rennie can get Valentini to suddenly live up to the hype because I have not seen it.

It's a real problem position. Nobody has really held their hand up and shown the all round class. Rennie will be forced to experiment with Wright, Hanigan etc. eek.

I am convinced that you will never see two open sides under Rennie.

Play like a lock forward in contact. Hmmm. Matt Philip yes, Rob Simmons no. Maybe Matt is the No 6 we're looking for? Actually, FL-W seems to fill a lot of those criteria.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TK needs to just put some of his test performances into Super off the Kava in the offseason. The guys our best defensive 13, Just needs to get back to the TK who was playing skittles with SpringBok and Kiwis.

And if not his given great service to Aus and Brumbies..

He is always slow to find form, but inform he is our best 13

Tex

John Thornett (49)
yeah let's be finished with shoehorning guys into non-preferred positions. pick the best blindside who can contribute to the Rennie masterplan. no more Mark Chisholm's at 6

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Naisarani and Kuridrani obviously both suffered post covid fitness lapses.

Interesting that Kuridrani is going to the Force. I would suggest that his next contract, without a RA top up, would have been a bit small at the Brumbies, so the Force have come in over the top.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Naisarani and Kuridrani obviously both suffered post covid fitness lapses.

Interesting that Kuridrani is going to the Force. I would suggest that his next contract, without a RA top up, would have been a bit small at the Brumbies, so the Force have come in over the top.

Didn't we all

source.gif