• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2021

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Paper suggesting that Douglas and McCaffrey are certain to be playing their last games for the club and Powell is basically in the same boat. Kurindrani mentioned as well but we already know that

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
4 of the starting XV moving on.. None of those are irreplaceable though, including Kuridrani

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
But you can’t keep everyone. Surely it’s better that these young players go somewhere...for the good of Australian rugby of course.

Qld grew them, ACT developing them.

Very true. I must say at some point the Reds are going to have to sit down and have a long hard think about why so much talent ends up here or elsewhere. It seems to be already grating on some. :p

It is also impressive that the Brumbies have moulded the talent so quickly helping them get in to the finals in the first year of a rebuild. Possibly why the Brumbies is a desirable destination.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Paper suggesting that Douglas and McCaffrey are certain to be playing their last games for the club and Powell is basically in the same boat. Kurindrani mentioned as well but we already know that

Not surprised with Douglas as he homeward during our off season. He's been here awhile and add in and COVID I am not surprised. Been a great workhorse for the team.

I believe McCaffery is headed to Japan. Not sure on the status of Browne but I believe he was signed through to 2021.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Very true. I must say at some point the Reds are going to have to sit down and have a long hard think about why so much talent ends up here or elsewhere. It seems to be already grating on some. :p

It is also impressive that the Brumbies have moulded the talent so quickly helping them get in to the finals in the first year of a rebuild. Possibly why the Brumbies is a desirable destination.

Yeah you can’t call it a ‘rebuild’ when you have Wallabies like Sio, AAA, Slipper, Folau, Valetini, Samu, Powell, Kuridrani and Banks in the squad from the previous season. In addition to guys like Muirhead, Simone and McCaffery who have been around Super Rugby for years now.

Tahs are really the only Aussie squad in the rebuild phase IMO, Reds were in theirs the previous season and are starting to see the fruits of the labour, Rebels are arguably at the point on the curve similar to the Brumbies and should probably have been a bit more competitive this season.

Reactions: dru

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah you can’t call it a ‘rebuild’ when you have Wallabies like Sio, AAA, Slipper, Folau, Valetini, Samu, Powell, Kuridrani and Banks in the squad from the previous season. In addition to guys like Muirhead, Simone and McCaffery who have been around Super Rugby for years now.

Tahs are really the only Aussie squad in the rebuild phase IMO, Reds were in theirs the previous season and are starting to see the fruits of the labour, Rebels are arguably at the point on the curve similar to the Brumbies and should probably have been a bit more competitive this season.

Yeah, calling it a 'rebuild' is rather over-egging the pudding. It just feels like one when you start the season with a rookie flyhalf, but the Brumbies are hardly alone there.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Every one of the Aus franchises are in a rebuild. Some are just a little further down the track than others. None are the finished product.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Really? The Reds have been rebuilding for years, team RA (Rebels) are constantly rebuilding, and the Tah's had the same the same amount of old heads like Hooper, Gordon. Hunt, Maddox, Hannigain, Dempsey, Simmons etc as the Brumbies yet they are seen as rebuilding more?

In the Aussie rugby language book, it clearly says if you change a 10 its a rebuild. Its also how we, and especially Cheika justified the Wallabies performances for the last few years.

But in all seriousness, the Brumbies have used a significant amount of rookies / younger players building both depth, and building a backline.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Absolutely the Tahs are in a deeper ‘rebuilding’ phase compared to the Brumbies..

All teams have used a significant amount of rookies this year, don’t think the Brumbies have used anymore then the Tahs or Reds. I’m pretty sure the average age and overall experience of the Brumbies is greater then the other Aussie teams.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With the likes of the Lonergans x 2, Harry Lloyd, Tom Ross, Darcy Swain, Nick Frost, Isaak Fines, Noah Lolesio, Bayley Keunzle, Reisjan Pasitoa, Len Ikitau and Mack Hanson all getting game time this year, I'd be surprised if there was a large differential in the Brumbies average age and that of the other sides. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rebels might indeed have a higher average age.

Reactions: mst

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With the likes of the Lonergans x 2, Harry Lloyd, Tom Ross, Darcy Swain, Nick Frost, Isaak Fines, Noah Lolesio, Bayley Keunzle, Reisjan Pasitoa, Len Ikitau and Mack Hanson all getting game time this year, I'd be surprised if there was a large differential in the Brumbies average age and that of the other sides. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rebels might indeed have a higher average age.
I’d say Rebels have the oldest backline and Brums have the oldest pack. For instance there would of been 7 guys in today’s starting pack that would of been the oldest player in the Rebels starting pack last week. Folau Fainga'a been the odd one out.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In case some have missed it more positive news on top of the finals win:

The Plus500 Brumbies are pleased to announce that Plus500 have extended their naming rights partnership until the end of 2021.
https://brumbies.rugby/news/2020/09/17/plus500-brumbies-super-rugby-naming-rights-extension

The Plus500 Brumbies are delighted to announce that they have agreed to a three year extension with apparel partner O'Neills which will see the two organisations continue their relationship until at least the end of 2023.
https://brumbies.rugby/news/2020/09/09/brumbies-rugby-oneills-partnership-renewed

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Indications are that McCaffrey might be going next year, and if the Olympics are on, there is a good chance Cusack won't be available for some part, so it could be the opportunity for Browne to take the 7 jersey from, or at least share it with, Miller.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I've had to eat humble pie re: Miller. I thought he was going to be a junk signing but he's been excellent. With him and Brown competing for the starting jersey, the Brumbies are in good shape.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Indications are that McCaffrey might be going next year, and if the Olympics are on, there is a good chance Cusack won't be available for some part, so it could be the opportunity for Browne to take the 7 jersey from, or at least share it with, Miller.

I'd be surprised if Brown came back from NZ.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I believe he's already back and has been training with the Brumbies. Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

And why not? I believe he's Wallaby eligible through a grand parent, and while he's not on that particular radar atm, he would conceivably have a better shot at being an international here than in NZ.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
And why not? I believe he's Wallaby eligible through a grand parent, and while he's not on that particular radar atm, he would conceivably have a better shot at being an international here than in NZ.

Didn't realise that was the case. That's great news. Strong player.