• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think what became apparent last night is that the back row will be / should be a formation of Samu/Hooper/Wilson. Wilson is ready for the big stage.

Lolesio was very impressive. Daugunu, on the other hand, really needs to be told to fix his tackling technique right now. Maybe he needs a brain transplant.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
But I think you’ve outlined the very reasons a lot of us think he’ll do better.

Deans, McKenzie & Cheika all, to various extents, had a lack of choice with players.

The current enthusiasm is bought about, I believe, largely due to the emerging group of players.

Not only does this appear to be the best group of emerging talent since the late 80s, but they are filling up spots which have been particularly problematic for us.

Is the wave of optimism based largely on unproven talent - at test level absolutely. It might all end in tears.

But surely it’s more fun to be optimistic.

Check out this time stamp from this Robbie Deans interview from 2018:

"We came 2nd in the world for 3 years, but inevitably.. it wasn't good enough."

Sums it up perfectly really. Australian rugby fans have such unreasonably high expectations considering the large majority of their best athletes are gobbled-up by other codes. No other top rugby nation has the sheer disadvantage of having to compete with American-type insular sporting entities like Rugby-League, AFL, Cricket, in Australia. Rugby is on-par with ballroom dancing

(Latest research from Australia shows that rugby union ranks alongside ballroom dancing in terms of participation levels. Rugby is less popular in Australia than ballroom dancing, ten pin bowling and darts - RugbyPass) https://rugbypass/posts/rugby-is-less-popular-in-australia-than-ballroom-dancing-ten-pin-bowling-and-dar/1481148165291835/

in terms of popularity in Australia (behind Rugby League, AFL, Cricket, Swimming, Cycling, Basketball, Football, Tennis, Athletics, Golf, Surfing, Gymnastics, Martial Arts and even Recreational Dancing) yet the fans expect their Wallabies to be world-beaters. I suppose because it's an aspect that's ingrained in their sporting culture - overachieving and punching above their weight. It's something that's been evident for a long time.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Comms in the Saracens V Leinster game said Skelton is back in Australia atm. Would’ve thought he would’ve stayed with La Rochelle for a couple more weeks. Maybe not, maybe will be available for NZ.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Depends on Uelese’s injury. BPAs throwing was horrible but he did some good things in general play.
Brumbies plan and execution was impressive.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Depends on Uelese’s injury. BPAs throwing was horrible but he did some good things in general play.
Brumbies plan and execution was impressive.

The lineout was poor, but I don't think it's fair to blame Paenga-Amosa. Most of the lost throws were on target but Neville snatched them by reading the play and out-jumping his opponent.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The last couple of weeks have clarified a few things in my mind. I'll start with the front row, add posts on other positions later. FF (Folau Fainga'a) is the best 2 we have onshore, and has to get the gig. If they bring Latu back, he's better IF he's fit, but that's a big if. Uelese is our obvious back-up, but it just depends on whether we can get enough duct tape and tie-wire to hold him together. BPA is a good player, but I dread the thought of losing a test in the last five minutes due to a shit line-out throw.
For mine Slipper must start at loose head. He is just as good around the park as Sio, but a much better scrummager. Sio off the bench.
While I'm a big AAA fan (and this isn't just one of those backhand compliments, I genuinely think he's a class player) Thor has made himself impossible to leave out. AAA off the bench.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe with Uelese injury theyll do a sneaky and get 3 O/S players.

I do think If Simmons, Phillips and Hanigan (all leaving and average) are in the squad, then Blyth should be there.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Maybe with Uelese injury theyll do a sneaky and get 3 O/S players.

I do think If Simmons, Phillips and Hanigan (all leaving and average) are in the squad, then Blyth should be there.

I think Philip has played well this season for the Rebels and is definitely a step up on the Tahs boys. I understand given his age that Neville isn't a long term option, but they could do a lot worse given his excellent performance last night.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Comms in the Saracens V Leinster game said Skelton is back in Australia atm. Would’ve thought he would’ve stayed with La Rochelle for a couple more weeks. Maybe not, maybe will be available for NZ.

Noticed that too and I think it might've just been a mistake

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Philip has played well this season for the Rebels and is definitely a step up on the Tahs boys. I understand given his age that Neville isn't a long term option, but they could do a lot worse given his excellent performance last night.
Always play your best team. Should be in the squad IMO.

Im worried about the Wallaby lineout.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Philip has played well this season for the Rebels and is definitely a step up on the Tahs boys. I understand given his age that Neville isn't a long term option, but they could do a lot worse given his excellent performance all year.

FTFY.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The last couple of weeks have clarified a few things in my mind. I'll start with the front row, add posts on other positions later. FF (Folau Fainga'a) is the best 2 we have onshore, and has to get the gig. If they bring Latu back, he's better IF he's fit, but that's a big if. Uelese is our obvious back-up, but it just depends on whether we can get enough duct tape and tie-wire to hold him together. BPA is a good player, but I dread the thought of losing a test in the last five minutes due to a shit line-out throw.
For mine Slipper must start at loose head. He is just as good around the park as Sio, but a much better scrummager. Sio off the bench.
While I'm a big AAA fan (and this isn't just one of those backhand compliments, I genuinely think he's a class player) Thor has made himself impossible to leave out. AAA off the bench.

Froggy, the front row really needs to be looked at with a very critical analytical examination.

Scott Sio's scrum performance last night should be examined. It looked like a couple of penalties that went against him were dubious to say the least, and many posters are saying the same. Sio's problems up until now have been related to pulling the opposition THP down as he moves his bind to under the body and has his elbow pointing to the ground. I don't think there was one instance of that happening last night. It was the opposite where the Reds front row, Tupou and BPA, were first to be popped out of the scrum. Those were wins to Sio and FF (Folau Fainga'a), but the penalties went to the Reds. In general play, Sio and Slipper play different games. Sio looks to dominate in contact while Slipper is a little more nuanced. Scott had a very strong game in open play in his 50 - 60 minutes, while Slipper had a tiring Tupou to cope with at scrum time towards the end. I would persist with Sio to start for the Wallabies with James on the bench.

OTOH, Taniela Tupou had a very quiet game for him. Definitely a couple of scrums where he looked to be displaced by Sio, and there apparently is some thought that he doesn't always stay straight when pushing. The last scrum of the night was instructive, I thought. Tupou was angled in at about 45 degrees before the ball was even fed, so it looks like there might be some fire behind the smoke. We certainly don't want one of our most valuable and dangerous Wallabies being whistled out of the game in test matches if there is anything suspect about his scrummaging. We won't be able to rely on an impartial referee's apparent lack of knowledge about scrums to gain ascendency.

Alan Ala'alatoa last night was the busiest front rower on the ground. Don't think he had any issues at scrum time at all, and he constantly made ground through the tackle. In fact, he was the pick of the THPs on display in the final. Defense wise, he was significantly superior to Tupou who missed a couple of critical tackles in the lead up to Brumbies tries. Either AAA or Tupou, if his technique is clear, will more often than not finish on top of the opposition in upcoming tests. I would prefer Tupou to start, but not if he's got question marks. Time for some close analysis of his scrumming technique I think.

With the hookers, I think FF (Folau Fainga'a) has established himself as the front runner. I am still questioning Uelese's suitability. It has looked to me during the SRAu competition that he has some deficiencies in defense. Seems to fall off a lot of tackles and that could be a weak point of his.