• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Nah, Kerevi wasn't bad the weird defensive system made him look much worse than he was. Plus I've got faith Rennie harnessing his unique defensive tendencies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
His defence at the Reds was rubbish too. Admittedly it became apparent that he couldn't play 13 and he did much better at 12.

He was 12 to begin with, v the Poms in the first 2 games. Then he got dumped for To'omua in the third.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He was 12 to begin with, v the Poms in the first 2 games. Then he got dumped for To'omua in the third.

Oh yeah - iirc pulling To'omua off the field in the third test really turned the tide back in favour of the Poms in that game.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Samu was made a scapegoat of the 2017 Bledislode I disaster where they rushed him into the side after injury and made him defend in some stupid Nathan Grey masterminded barn dance defensive alignment. They dropped him for TK after that, who they should have started given Kerevi’s injury, but he made his way back into the 23 by Bledislode 3 which we won in Brisbane. His best position is actually 13 imo because then you can just use him as a decoy and have a 12 with a passing game. Although, I would have Petaia start ahead of him at 13 if both were available.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think for Bled 1 we will see something like:
1) Slipper
2) Fainga'a
3) Tupou
4) Simmons
5) LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6) Wright
7) Hooper
8) Willson

9) McDermott
10) O'Connor
11) Daugunu
12) To'omua
13) Petaia
14) Koroibete
15) Banks

16) BPA
17) Sio
18) Ala'alatoa
19) Philip
20) Samu
21) McReight / Valetini
22) White
23) Hodge

Front row selects itself; Sio vs Slipper is much of a muchness. I'd have Simmons in for lineouts to begin at least, maybe later in the season you can move away form him but the AB's will probably lock in on that as being an area of weakness.
And for those reasons, I think Wright has to be in our starting back row he offers 90% of Hanigan's lineout work without the sacrifices he makes, he is really good getting over the ball and an abrasive presence in the middle of the field as well as out wide. For the first few games at least you have to start Hooper although I'd be tempted to have a good hard look at McReight at some point as he offers a Pococok like presence on the ball and a little bit more direct running than Hooper, but you can't start him against the AB's surely? And given the other two who largely select themselves and Willson's work in the finals, I think his selection is forced because you need that abrasive runner - but also Willson offers more in defense than an Isi for example. I think we have to have at least one of Samu or Wright starting, but probably not both unless we go with Wright at 7 and Samu at 6.

The backs mostly pick themselves, Lolesio was good, but you can't pick him at flyhalf game 1 against the All-Blacks. Fullback is an obvious issue but IMO Banks is done just enough but any of the 3 or Hodge could be in with a look.

I think because of the very flexible backline we have Hodge & White is probably enough to cover any backline issues we have (Tate actually looks alright on the wing haha). That way we can have Samu cover any backrow issues and probably even play lock if NEEDED, and McReight / Valetini can come in to break the game open. If Rennie goes with the more traditional split I'd expect to see Lolesio or Paisami on the bench, MAYBE Simone.

ZC I reckon you're close to the mark with the backline. Only proviso is that Petaia recovers in time and there must be a doubt about playing both Koroibete and Daugunu together.

The forwards though are a different kettle of fish imo. Your pack is very light on for aggression and I fear would be severely dealt with by the ABs. I would start Sio over Slipper every day for his stronger play in the open. For similar reasons I would partner Philip with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the second row. The backrow is a real quandary. Everyone seems to be going with Hooper at 7, and I expect the coaches will too. But that means compromises need to be made at either 6 or 8. The form 8 is Samu, but Hooper and Samu together probably means Wright at 6. Good player that he is, Liam is not our best 6, nor does he offer the toughness required at 6 against the ABs. Given Valetini is not a real lineout option, the alternative looks to be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 which tends then to muck up the second row.

Any way you look at it, 6 and 8 have to be more than passable jumpers to complement Hooper at 7. Of those available in the squad, that almost locks in Wright and Samu. But that combination won't put any fear into the ABs at all. Staying with my contention that we need the hardest runners/hitters possible against the ABs, then I suggest the better backrow would be 6 Valetini, 7 Wright, 8 Samu.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, that's why -- as much as I can't believe I'm actually saying this -- we need to start Rob 'I do dumb shit' Simmons. He's the best lineout operator in Australia, and for the moment he has been playing good fotty.
He's also probably a good option for captain, sees out his 12 month stint then Rennie can choose his captain for the future having some time to get to really know the players before making that decision.

I do try to avoid conversations including mention of Rob Simmons these days, but some comments just cry out to be challenged. Rob cannot be anointed the best lineout operator this year. Was beaten by Neville who has been consistently the best in games he played, and Liam Wright has been the best stealer all year. On top of that, Rob is a genuinely weak player in open play. I fear his days in gold should be behind him. Matt Philip has been doing a good job calling for the Rebels and has more aggression in his little finger than Rob has displayed over his long and illustrious career. Unfortunate that Neville missed the squad because he has been a standout in all the games he played.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
ZC I reckon you're close to the mark with the backline. Only proviso is that Petaia recovers in time and there must be a doubt about playing both Koroibete and Daugunu together.

The forwards though are a different kettle of fish imo. Your pack is very light on for aggression and I fear would be severely dealt with by the ABs. I would start Sio over Slipper every day for his stronger play in the open. For similar reasons I would partner Philip with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the second row. The backrow is a real quandary. Everyone seems to be going with Hooper at 7, and I expect the coaches will too. But that means compromises need to be made at either 6 or 8. The form 8 is Samu, but Hooper and Samu together probably means Wright at 6. Good player that he is, Liam is not our best 6, nor does he offer the toughness required at 6 against the ABs. Given Valetini is not a real lineout option, the alternative looks to be LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 which tends then to muck up the second row.

Any way you look at it, 6 and 8 have to be more than passable jumpers to complement Hooper at 7. Of those available in the squad, that almost locks in Wright and Samu. But that combination won't put any fear into the ABs at all. Staying with my contention that we need the hardest runners/hitters possible against the ABs, then I suggest the better backrow would be 6 Valetini, 7 Wright, 8 Samu.
IMO if Samu is 8 you can facilitate Valetini at 6. If Wilson is 8 you need Samu or Wright at 6.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gutted to hear Petiaia out with hip flexor injury and moreso gutted for him as such a talent but his body seems to struggle to stand up to the rigours of pro rugby. Must be so frustrating for him and heart goes out to him as with limited super stars in the backs especially (fark I hate league who pinch our best talent) he will be missed.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I think for Bled 1 we will see something like:

9) McDermott
10) O'Connor
11) Daugunu
12) To'omua
13) Petaia
14) Koroibete
15) Banks

11. Has to be Wright or Ramm. Daugunu was exposed on Saturday, he could not deal with the high ball, showed ill-discipline again in defence with the yellow and cant kick from the back, which means he and Koro limit our true back 3 options. Daugunu's difference between his best and worst is too extreme, much like many suggest of Maddocks. Select a true back 3 player in Wright or Ramm.

Gutted for for Petaia, he is such a talented and integral player, I hope for his and the WB sake he can shake this poor run of injuries.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah that back three would get eaten alive I fear. You can't have Tom Banks as the only player at the back with any tactical nous or kicking ability. You'd need a very experienced, skilled and consistent fullback to get away with playing two such limited wingers and Tom Banks is not that fullback.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maddocks should be the fullback. I reckon he's much better than Banks if he can keep his head up. His kicking game and running game are both great.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Maddocks should be the fullback. I reckon he's much better than Banks if he can keep his head up. His kicking game and running game are both great.

I rate Maddocks also. But doesn't have the consistency or form like Banks does for the past 2-3 years. I back Maddocks to over-take Banks in the near future though, he has great positioning and all round skill.. but as I think as it stands right now Bank is a fair gap ahead.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I mean I've been calling for Hooper to be moved to the bench for a long while, even if we assume he's 'clearly the best 7' -- personally I'm not convinced. But I'd personally like to see something like 6 Samu, 7 Wright, 8 Wilson with Hooper coming off the bench. I had a look at the season stats and Valetini has only marginally better runs per game (6 to 4) and only 2 meters per run. Actually when considering all the back row options the meters per run are all pretty close Samu has 5, Isi & McReight 3, Wilson and Hooper have 2.5 and Wrigth and Valetini have 2.2. Obviously I'd suggest Samu's numbers get inflated because he's seagulling on the wing, McReight is actually quiet surprising, and Hooper is surprisingly low. Wright, Wilson and Hooper had 12 tackles per game, with McReight having 10, and the others having between 8.5 and 7 per game. Shockingly Wilson topped the lot in turnovers per game with 1.5.

I have thought for -- forever Hooper is almost purpose built to come off the bench. I'd agree Samu and Hooper ideally ought not be played together ideally, similarly Samu and Wright might be better with other partners, but they could likely co-exist as Wright is the more abrasive of the two. I personally haven't really rated Rob Valetini all that highly this year. He's been very close to being 'exactly that guy we need' but the last two seasons to me he's looked to stagnated and his numbers show that, he's middle of the row for meters per run, and runs, and he forced zero turnovers and the worst in tackle percentage off the fewest tackles; I personally feel like Wright gives you all the positives of Rob - plus lineout jumping and more work on the ball.

Also in that Insta video Hooper looked like he's meeting Ala'alatoa for the first time! :rolleyes:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
IMO if Samu is 8 you can facilitate Valetini at 6. If Wilson is 8 you need Samu or Wright at 6.

Yes, Wright, Hooper and Wilson are an option, but we'd be replacing two strong defenders and ball carriers with one. Still not the best balance in my book.