• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
If the figure of $5m a year is correct - that's peanuts for global exposure - I wouldn't be surprised if an overseas Corp comes forward - maybe Japanese car manufacturer *I note Mitsubishi and BMW has sponsored Eng U20s in the past, Or a growing Aus player that will benefit from the exposure - Atlassian for example - Even Telstra, Vodafone make sense

i'd suggest that if the current deal was peanuts then someone would have paid more before the global economic collapse

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rugby Australia had $33m of sponsorships last year so $5m cash from Qantas doesn't seem too far off the likely mark (given the in-kind would be large).

I wonder with these type of deals how much is $$$ and how much is stuff like flights etc, flying full squads of giant humans around must be bloody expensive

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah - a lot of positive talk from Clarke and McLennan which is all well and good but some kind of positive anouncement would be really useful right now. Any of a tournament for next year, a tv deal of any kind or a major sponsor would be fab.

I actually think that there is some opportunity for rugby in all this malaise - but they need to get cracking.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rob Clarke is quoted as saying that "rugby in Australia is entering a very exciting new chapter" - it's called Insolvency
Problem is the the book not been released so we don’t even know the title let alone what is in the first chapter or indeed whether it is a very short depressing book or a book offering a great néw story for rugby...

Ok I think I have pushed the book analogy enough now..I am just bored waiting to hear what will happen and just waiting to jump on latest media rumour as what else can one do...maybe start my own rumours?

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
The ARU posted a $9 m operating loss in calendar year 2019. They took a $16 m loan from World Rugby this year, assume that will see them meet short term liabilities till end of this calendar year. I suggest a loss of $16m this calendar year would be a best situation as it would wipe out all but $2 m of the equity in the entity. Anything greater than $18 m and its good night RA. Hard to see how the auditors will sign off on the accounts this year given their reticence last year and the added COVID 19 impacts this year and next.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
One of the (very few) good things that might come out of all this is is that the NH clubs will not be able to do as much poaching.
I think you are spot on with this.

Which then leads to the big question about how much will sports change as a result of COVID and how they will look for the next 10yrs?

IMHO, I really can't see sports being able to pay athletes what they did in the past if they want to survive. Between reduced revenue and the cost cutting, to trade back to solvency, it will really change the sporting landscape. I believe when the more robust sports like AFL and NRL and talking cuts in terms $ 50mil+, the writing's on the wall.

Which leads to the next question of what platform sports are rebuilding on? The mythical past or the harsh reality of the future? It appears that RA are trying to grab any remains of the familiar past arrangements which is understandable. The NZRU seem to doing the same.

All the talk I am seeing on here seems to presume the"past normal' will be back shortly; while industry and governments are thinking maybe in 3-5 years at best, and post COVID there will be a "new normal".

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
This is doing the rounds on Twitter. It’s from the back page of the SMH apparently.

Attachments

• 5F6516B1-0BA6-487D-90EB-CE4EDAD02429.jpeg
    5F6516B1-0BA6-487D-90EB-CE4EDAD02429.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 311

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What can that bloke positively contribute to anything? His entire (post rugby) career is built on slagging people off.

I'd say where Mr Walker is coming from is that, like it or not, Jones has a large following and is a highly influential individual. If he chose to he could use that influence in a positive way. That doesn't mean people would start liking him, but perhaps his existing disciples would view rugby in a more positive light.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I fully agree with both KOB and Mr Walker over this, and yes, if we could get him onside it would be positive (although not a game-changer in any way).
However, as the ARU didn't go, cap in hand, to AJ and beg him to take control of the game and guide them out of this mess, I'm afraid all you're going to get is negative. You see, you are either a disciple of Jones, and believe he knows all, or he will constantly trash you. It's almost like some extreme religions, you are either a true believer or a barbarian.