• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I like the idea that if you swim through legally, you have every right to tackle the bloke.

I'm surprised more teams don't try harder to sack the jumper as soon as he lands, looks like the most vulnerable spot.

I personally don't see why teams just refuse to engage at every single maul on their own line?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is weird - the game is meant to be about contest but pretty much the contest is removed from the maul.

This is a law because it is meant to be a safety issue that collapsing a maul is dangerous.

I think it is stupid that the ball carrier can't be brought to ground by a player in an onside position though because the attacking team is allowed to bring down a maul without punishment which is a tactic to try and free the ball when it has become trapped (although it rarely works).

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wayne Barnes has just started a youtube series diving into specific laws of the game and how they go about enforcing them. First one is uncontested scrums and it's a really interesting watch:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lachlan Boshier just made a try-saving strip in-goal but had at least one knee on the ground. TMO ruled lost forward in-goal, 5m scrum Taranaki. I'd have thought PT Otago as you can't play the ball off your feet?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Reading the comments below that article was entertaining. Lots of praise for Nigel but also had one criticism for using English not French to cheat the French out of possession.
Nigel Owens MBE responds articulately and forcefully.
Well done Sir.

His response on twitter to the criticism is gold,

The one thing I really wish the Refs would speed up more than anything else is conversions and penalty kicks, some kickers are taking 2 minutes to take the kick.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
His response on twitter to the criticism is gold,

The one thing I really wish the Refs would speed up more than anything else is conversions and penalty kicks, some kickers are taking 2 minutes to take the kick.

Making penalty kicks be taken on the actual mark would be nice too. Some chewing off of another meter or two by some.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I need some refs to clear up the rules about playing the ball on the ground. BPA's non-try to me looked like no one tackled him, he went down with his own maul so he's allowed to crawl a 100m if he wants. Apparently not?

Also, if you're off your feet that only rules you out if it's involving a ruck yeah? You can trip over and the ball rolls past in general play and you can play it?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I need some refs to clear up the rules about playing the ball on the ground. BPA's non-try to me looked like no one tackled him, he went down with his own maul so he's allowed to crawl a 100m if he wants. Apparently not?

Also, if you're off your feet that only rules you out if it's involving a ruck yeah? You can trip over and the ball rolls past in general play and you can play it?

Not sure why you confused by the BPA one, if he wasn't tackled and he was on ground with the ball and players from both teams were bound above him it becomes a ruck at least so you can't use your hands anyway?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He's not tackled. But you can't crawl anywhere with the ball in your possession - Law 13 has the stated Principle that players will be on their feet.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=13&language=EN

1. Players, who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball, must immediately:
    1. Get up with the ball; or
    2. Play (but not kick) the ball; or
    3. Release the ball.
The irony is if he just let the ball go back to Petaia OR hit the ground and stretched out, he could have scored without the knees.