• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2021

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good luck Joe. A very loyal and giving Brumby over the years. Deserved more recognition at higher levels. Really think that you will be a loss for the Brumbies in years to come.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Murray Douglas and Lachie McCaffrey are off to Japan.

So is coach Ruaidhri Murphy to coach at Ricoh where Peter Hewat will also be.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
At one point I heard The Force being floated, but I'm not sure how true that was. I know he had some injuries but I don't ever feel like were saw the best of Pulu. He showed some real potential at the Chiefs.

To be fair, he had some excellent performances for the Brumbies as well.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Murphys a loss. Hewat will also be missed to a degree.

Cue the CLL attack coach announcement.

My prediction for the biggest loss that will impact Brumbies 2021 campaign is Joe going due to White.

Can anyone confirm if Browne still on the books?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the Brumbies just now:

The Plus500 Brumbies have secured 28 of the Super Rugby AU championship squad for the 2021 season, the highest retention of the group in a decade.

Up front, 2020 skipper Allan Ala'alatoa and fellow Wallabies props James Slipper and Scott Sio will continue to be in Brumbies colours next season, as well as local products Harry Lloyd and Tom Ross.

Folau Fainga’a and Connal McInerney shared the bulk of the minutes at hooker in 2020 and will be challenged next season by local youngster Lachlan Lonergan.

Experienced lock Cadeyrn Neville recently inked a new deal at the Brumbies to stay until the end of 2022 to go with the young second row duo of Nick Frost and Darcy Swain.

The Brumbies were blessed with backrow depth this year, and that continues in 2021 with Rob Valetini, Will Miller, Pete Samu, Tom Cusack, and Jahrome Brown all returning next season.

At halfback, Nic White and Ryan Lonergan are both contracted for 2021.

Dan McKellar backed the Brumbies young playmakers in 2020 with Noah Lolesio and Bayley Kuenzle both seeing large minutes at flyhalf, Reesjan Pasitoa also making his debut in Super Rugby as an 18-year-old. All three will continue their progress in 2021.

The Brumbies had power, pace and finesse across the backline this year, and the bulk of the attacking weapons will be returning for 2021.

Irae Simone and Len Ikitau, both selected in the Wallabies squad, will again be flanked by wing threats in Andy Muirhead, Solomone Kata and Tom Wright, with Mack Hansen and Tom Banks continuing as the fullbacks.

Plus500 Brumbies coach Dan McKellar said: “It’s great for us that most of our 2020 group will be with us once again in 2021.”

“I thought we played some really good rugby at times this year and ended the season as Super Rugby AU champions which was down to a lot of effort and resilience.

“I think when you look at the age profile of the group, it’s a squad than can grow together in the coming years having already tasted some success in 2020."

Brumbies General Manager Professional Rugby & Pathways Chris Tindall said: “Having 28 of the 2020 group returning for next season and the level of continuity that brings is exciting for us.”

“There’s a great mix in the squad, young players looking to develop and establish themselves further and more experienced players who help drive the standards the coaches set, all competing to earn selection.

“With the challenges the game has faced, I think retaining 28 players from a championship winning team is something for us to be proud of and reflects the positive team culture across the group led by Dan and Allan.

"We are also well advanced in completing the rest of the squad for 2021, including promoting players from our Brumbies Academy programme."

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Has Issac Fines Signed ? The kids got skills probably too many to be 3rd choice Half back, but maybe he will push for the bench spot..

Happy with who we have kept, where does people think we should be recruiting into ?

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I think another big centre/winger. If Simone were injured, the options would be fairly limited. Kuenzle at 12 or Ikitau at 12 with Kata at 13 would be the only options that don't involve repurposing a winger.

Another versatile back rower to replace McCaffrey as well. A lot of the Brumbies' recent success has depended on what looked at first glance like an unnecessary level of depth in the back row.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think another big centre/winger. If Simone were injured, the options would be fairly limited. Kuenzle at 12 or Ikitau at 12 with Kata at 13 would be the only options that don't involve repurposing a winger.

Another versatile back rower to replace McCaffrey as well. A lot of the Brumbies' recent success has depended on what looked at first glance like an unnecessary level of depth in the back row.

You could also move Noah to 12 or play Pasitoa at 12 but I see your point. Hopefully we see more of Pasitoa next year I would hate to lose him because of game time.

3 dont really go into 1 and I know the Reds will sniff around him..

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
So it looks like we only have Vui, Fines and LLM not contracted yet for next year. I'd definitely be resigning LLM, possibly to a one year deal given his injury troubles.

With Vui, he's been on the out since he arrived in the capital and we have a number of promising youngsters coming through in Bowen Abra & Fred Kahea. With the likely smaller squad sizes, I think he can be cut.

On Fines, whilst I'm a huge fan, it's 50/50 if he gets resigned with three halfbacks already on the books (inc Lachlan Albert). Hopefully the Brums don't lose him.

Based on the current makeup of the squad, I'd be looking to get a lock/6 and straight lock. Tom Hooper is an almost certainty given he trained with the squad throughout the year with Ben Hyne and Callum Macdonald are alternative options. I don't think there is sufficient need to lay out the cash to entice someone to Canberra.

They may also look for another Centre but I suspect it will be a Winger and Kata/Wright/BK/Pasitoa will shuffle around should injuries occur. I'm not sure there are any JID cup players ready to go besides Isaac Henry.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm a firm believer in giving local talent opportunities to step up before going to imports. With White and Lonergan in the 23, I'd rather the third spot go to Seamus Smith.