• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
To be clear I would much rather have a good, young 10 on our books. But personally I was very happy with how O’Connor went at 10. We have Hegarty & Stewart as back ups.

A good young 10 as a project player would be a great off-season signing but, at this point, they are someone coming through the system behind O’Connor, not someone who we want to take the reigns this year or next. IMO.

Out of interest - who else is floating out there in club land?

I would say with Carter Gordon off the radar it’s the guy at brothers.

I don’t know how to pronounce his last name so I won’t attempt it but Rohan would be the pick of clubland 10s

Awesome goal kicker. I don’t know if he’s a super rugby talent or if he fits the mould of development flyhalf (looks to be a more matured prospect - believe he came up from Sydney shute shield)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

I don’t know how to pronounce his last name so I won’t attempt it but Rohan would be the pick of clubland 10s

Awesome goal kicker. I don’t know if he’s a super rugby talent or if he fits the mould of development flyhalf (looks to be a more matured prospect - believe he came up from Sydney shute shield)

Saifoloi. Went to BSHS but spent five or six years with Southern Districts in the Shute Shield. Disappointingly they lost a few semi finals and grand finals that they should have won.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Saifoloi is the best we have and should be pulled into squad leading into 2021. Would be more of a bench player but could be restricting as I can only see him playing flyhalf. Maybe 12 as well. He would be my first choice.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jake McIntyre rumored to be heading to the Force. Would you through the invitation to him? Only a couple of years younger than Bryce I guess.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Reds should have a good hard look at Tane Edmed, plays for Eastwood in the Shute Shield (so does Ed Craig). As an Eastwood man it would pain me to lose him, but as a Reds fan I reckon he would be a brilliant pick up. Bugger the Waratahs.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Just on the whole Picone/Reds/players signing overseas business, my understanding is the Reds put this on a platter for Picone a few years ago not knowing what would happen down the track, at least according to some other player managers that I know.

Reds management decided to cash in on the hype around Ayumu Goromaru and sign him in 2015 as the Reds were clearly spiraling down after the 2011 premiership. Allegedly there were some parties who all got to know each other, some from Aus and some from Japan during this whole process. Until that point the Japanese competition was seen as lucrative but more of a retirement fund for ex-internationals.

Essentially what they were getting at was that the Reds trying to promote the game in Japan and signing Goromaru, they inadvertently started a chain of events that has led to multiple players leaving over the past few years. This post doesn't really add much to the conversation but I find it funny.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
The Reds should have a good hard look at Tane Edmed, plays for Eastwood in the Shute Shield (so does Ed Craig). As an Eastwood man it would pain me to lose him, but as a Reds fan I reckon he would be a brilliant pick up. Bugger the Waratahs.

Good call.

He is a real talent. Could still be playing colts but took the opportunity at Eastwood and has flourished. Big lad, can tackle and plays very direct. Im looking forward to seeing him vs Gordon this weekend up against Rodney Iona. Id be disappointed if a Super club didnt pick him up. Tahs have Harrison and Donaldson so hard to see him getting a crack with us - Brumbies have 3 great young 10's so he should be looking elsewhere.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
No. I don’t want a NSW boy.

Every other rugby state steals our talent, not us Queenslanders #BornAndBread.

Leave the inferior talent in the inferior Shute shield and pick the finest prospect from the cream la de creme competition “QUEENSLAND PREMIER RUGBY”

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Jake McIntyre rumored to be heading to the Force. Would you through the invitation to him? Only a couple of years younger than Bryce I guess.
Jake’s a funny one. When he was here I was hot and cold on him. Consistency is an issue but maybe he has that sorted now. I haven’t watched him play since he left.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No. I don’t want a NSW boy.

Every other rugby state steals our talent, not us Queenslanders #BornAndBread.

Leave the inferior talent in the inferior Shute shield and pick the finest prospect from the cream la de creme competition “QUEENSLAND PREMIER RUGBY”

I can think of a few examples of NSW talent who have been welcomed here and are now considered dinky-di Qld-ers. Preference locally bred talent for sure, but if stocks are low then picking up a forgotten NSW guy and making something of him with a Red tinge - well that also is pleasing.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Not a chance in hell. Give me Donaldson any day.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
To be clear I would much rather have a good, young 10 on our books. But personally I was very happy with how O’Connor went at 10. We have Hegarty & Stewart as back ups.

A good young 10 as a project player would be a great off-season signing but, at this point, they are someone coming through the system behind O’Connor, not someone who we want to take the reigns this year or next. IMO.

Out of interest - who else is floating out there in club land?
When JOC (James O'Connor) returned we had no idea that he was going to slot into flyhalf because we had Lucas and Hegarty with Gordon on the horizon. I know this sounds out there but what about Tate as the back up flyhalf. We have ample emerging half backs coming though and zip flyhalfs.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Have given this some thought - this could be a really hard spot to fill.

Although I am making the assumptions that a) The Reds are happy with O’Connor at 10 and he plans to stay, or at least he hasn’t made it clear he intends to leave b) They are happy with Stewart at 12 and would prefer to keep him there

C) Not so much an assumption, but an opinion - I think Hegarty is a valuable squad member as injury cover, but ideally I don’t really think he is a starter anymore

So, the problem I have is that I want someone who is capable of playing 10 now if JOC (James O'Connor) is injured, so most/all 18-19 year olds are out.

They also need to be happy to sit behind O’Connor in the knowledge they probably won’t get a lot of time - so guys like Donaldson, Pasitoa & Kuenzle are probably all out, even if they weren’t contracted elsewhere. There are more current opportunities for guys like that at the Rebels & Force to compete for a starting spot

There is scope for a young guy to come in and maybe get some time and do well enough that it pushes O’Connor to 12 and Stewart back to the bench, but otherwise it doesn’t sound like a great option for a young guy who is looking for a starting gig to me. So we are potentially signing a player who is just a level down.

Which is fine - right up until they get 1, or even worse 2, injuries at 10 or 12, then they would seem to have a real issue.

The other thing this highlights to me is that our cover at 12 is just as poor. Unless I’m forgetting someone.

But maybe the play here is to sign the best up and coming 12 we can who can compete with Stewart for a spot. If JOC (James O'Connor) goes down, Stewart moves to 10. And go hard for the best 17-18 year old playmaker we can with no real intent on him playing next year, but bringing him through 2022-2023 & competing hard for a start in 2024.

This is all based on both O’Connor & the Reds seeing him as our 10 for at least the next 3 years. Otherwise basically disregard this post.

NB - I wonder if O’Connor at 10 has gone much better than was originally thought and, because of that, both Lucas and Gordon could saw their opportunity drying up. Could well have left them to feel they weren’t given the pathway they were ‘promised’.