• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Nah, I think it's much easier to come off the bench for a test match, the game isn't quite as fast as it is in those opening 20 min. Particularly in test matches the first 10/15/20 min the pace is exceptionally frenetic compared to Super Rugby, especially the AB's. But beyond that you get to come into a known situation, the players around you have settled in. If we are starting O'Connor (I'd probably pull To'omua, but maybe Koro/Daugnu and move Jordie to the wing), then you'd presumably keep him on the field and he could help ease Lolesio into the play-making role.

Plus if he isn't up to it we can shift him to the wing or something and we aren't out a substitution.

I don't think playing To'omua at flyhalf in test rugby is a good idea.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Absolutely it is a lessor risk to test a debutant from the bench. Amongst everything else they have less exposure to fuck up a test.

In the end the HC will be making the call on who is ready and how ready they are. I’m really looking forward to the announcement tomorrow.

Go boys, and be bold Rennie.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So the SMH is reporting the following:
Starting: Willson, Daugunu (Wing), Pisami, Korobete (Wing), O'Connor (10).
Bench: Lolesio, Valetini.
Out: Petaia

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So the SMH is reporting the following:
Starting: Willson, Daugunu (Wing), Pisami, Korobete (Wing), O'Connor (10).
Bench: Lolesio, Valetini.
Out: Petaia

If true, Paisami at 13 is a genuine surprise for me considering how he was exposed defensively in the Super Rugby Au grand final. He wasn't able to defend his channel and it cost the Reds dearly.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, it appears RA have caved again (surprise, surprise) and our very new team and coaching set-up will have four (count-em FOUR) games against NZ in the first five weeks. This is utter madness. We should have told the Kiwi's to just suck it up. Four in five weeks against anyone is nuts; against NZ - words fail me.

At the end of that we would be lucky to beat the Killara under nines. I suspect that a few careers will be stuffed by the end of the year, probably the youngsters who will have to be thrown in due to injury. They'll be chewed up and spat out the other end. Rennie must be fuming!

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Game 1 team
WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper, Pete Samu, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks
RESERVES: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Ala'alatoa, Rob Simmons, Rob Valetini, Jake Gordon, Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Game 1 team
WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper, Pete Samu, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks
RESERVES: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Ala'alatoa, Rob Simmons, Rob Valetini, Jake Gordon, Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge

Yep - lots more chat on the team over on the game thread

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I am wondering if anyone else has noticed that To'omua seems to be doing most of the media? We haven't heard much from Hoops in the lead up to the tests starting(not that I have seen anyway, I do not live in oz so mainly social media and internet news etc).

From all reports Rennie is an intelligent operator with a pretty good feel for his players. I wonder if this is a deliberate action by the coaching staff to keep Hoop out of the media and public eye given some of the carry on towards him over the past couple years as well as when he was named the Captain again this year. If so I applaud it and think it is a smart move.

Also To'omua does hold himself very well in front of the media. He comes across as an intelligent likeable leader with good communication skills. I've always liked him, very impressed with his presence as a spokesman.

Reactions: dru

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I am wondering if anyone else has noticed that To'omua seems to be doing most of the media? We haven't heard much from Hoops in the lead up to the tests starting(not that I have seen anyway, I do not live in oz so mainly social media and internet news etc).

From all reports Rennie is an intelligent operator with a pretty good feel for his players. I wonder if this is a deliberate action by the coaching staff to keep Hoop out of the media and public eye given some of the carry on towards him over the past couple years as well as when he was named the Captain again this year. If so I applaud it and think it is a smart move.

Also To'omua does hold himself very well in front of the media. He comes across as an intelligent likeable leader with good communication skills. I've always liked him, very impressed with his presence as a spokesman.

To'omua did a lot of the media work for the Rebels even though DHP was captain. If you look at how a lot of teams operate these days, the captain rarely does extra media/promotional work on top of all the official responsibilities he will already have - post match interviews etc... I haven't been following the NZ media as closely, but I doubt Sam Cane has been doing a lot of extra interviews/podcasts etc.. atm.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

However it translates to the game, To’omua is clearly presented as a WB leader in the off field area. I’d suggest he is doing very well too.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
With that draw we jumped from 7th to 5th on the WR (World Rugby) rankings and NZ stay second. I ran the outcome with the Hodge penalty going over and it was the same, albeit a bit tighter.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So I think Daugunu and Koro should be locked in going forwards....
Pisami will obviously make way for Jordie when he's back, but even he was fairly good.
I'm not sure Lolesio will be getting game time any time soon O'Connor was pretty exceptional.
Not sure about Banks, but he was probably good enough.

I'm not sure on the back row balance but Wilson was very impressive for his first test. I feel like we might need Wright in for Samu to help keep the Kiwi's off the ball.
I liked LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) moving to 8 to finish the game, but I was unimpressed with Rob Simmons -- doing what he does... Valetini didn't help his cause so maybe Wright to start at 6 and Pete to the bench. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Phillip were good.
Not sure what to do about the scrum, maybe another referee on another day will yield different results, or maybe Sio comes in?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So I think Daugunu and Koro should be locked in going forwards..
Pisami will obviously make way for Jordie when he's back, but even he was fairly good.
I'm not sure Lolesio will be getting game time any time soon O'Connor was pretty exceptional.
Not sure about Banks, but he was probably good enough.

I'm not sure on the back row balance but Wilson was very impressive for his first test. I feel like we might need Wright in for Samu to help keep the Kiwi's off the ball.
I liked LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) moving to 8 to finish the game, but I was unimpressed with Rob Simmons -- doing what he does. Valetini didn't help his cause so maybe Wright to start at 6 and Pete to the bench. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Phillip were good.
Not sure what to do about the scrum, maybe another referee on another day will yield different results, or maybe Sio comes in?

You gotta start checking the match threads ZC.