• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Overall I'm pretty happy with that side, because Rennie has almost completely picked on form and put guys in their best positions across the park. Injuries aside I think it's about the best team he could have picked at this time.
I would have liked to see Wright in the mix but I think the backline selection is the best it could be. The return of Petaia and DHP will strengthen the team in future games.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still ~5K tix available but anecdotally only in one's & twos which suggests to me the scalpers (& I include the likes of viagogo in that description) haven't been buying up entire rows/ blocks per usual.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To be fair you said that you hadn't seen many games , but for me, Slipper was a no brainer. He's been better than Sio in every way this year. Sio has been pretty suspect in scrums during the post covid Super Rugby season and reply hasn't offered much in a attack or defence IMHO. If he got picked it would have been on reputation

The no brainer was that both would be in the test squad. Sio was returning from injury early in the season but has been stronger as the year progressed. He more recently has been especially strong with his ball carrying. His issue has been in the scrum where he was being penalised for pulling his opposite THP down, but even that area improved at the end of SRAu.

In truth, Sio is the more physical player while Slipper has better ball skills. Could have gone either way.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On our TAB punters have backed AB into $1.10 favs: Wobs are at $6.10 & the points start is out to 17.5, both of these are way too optimistic IMO.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I disagree. Super Ao has been reffed under strict expectations at the breakdown. We have an NZ ref used to applying those expectations. I don't see him completely changing. Reckon we'll either get whistled off the park or adapt and he blown away by the pace of the game.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I disagree. Super Ao has been reffed under strict expectations at the breakdown. We have an NZ ref used to applying those expectations. I don't see him completely changing. Reckon we'll either get whistled off the park or adapt and he blown away by the pace of the game.

First thing i'd say if i was Michael Hooper to the ref at the coin toss would be "jeez, must be some pressure on you today been the first kiwi in a long time to ref their own team".

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I would hope that the referees are going into the Bledisloes and TRC with a consistent and well-defined approach as to how they’re tackling the breakdown so we don’t get some officiating on Super AU terms and others on Aotearoa.

Failing that, I’m backing Rennie and the coaching staff to have prepared the boys for different officiating at the breakdown than they’ve been used to.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would hope that the referees are going into the Bledisloes and TRC with a consistent and well-defined approach as to how they’re tackling the breakdown so we don’t get some officiating on Super AU terms and others on Aotearoa.

Failing that, I’m backing Rennie and the coaching staff to have prepared the boys for different officiating at the breakdown than they’ve been used to.

tenor.gif

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On our TAB punters have backed AB into $1.10 favs: Wobs are at $6.10 & the points start is out to 17.5, both of these are way too optimistic IMO.

I’m calling the points start a good bet for the WBs. Winning would be highly unexpected but there is every reason to expect the Rennie Wallabies to give the game a good crack.

There is also plenty for the revised ABs to prove here. Cake tin makes the difference and could be 20 points.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I would have liked to see Wright in the mix but I think the backline selection is the best it could be. The return of Petaia and DHP will strengthen the team in future games.

The only change I'd make is Kuridrani at 13, but obviously that was locked in when he was left out of the squad. I suspect we will be slightly lacking starch in attack.