• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The wind would not have let a drop be more than a 25% chance even from dead in front.

vs the 0% chance of Williams awarding a kickable penalty, those are pretty good odds :).

There's no way Mo'unga shoulda been still out there at the end. They knew on Friday that Beaugan was at least in some doubt: if that was deemed too-short notice to bring in Ioane (who was in Wellington Saturday if not Friday) they obviously had to shift JBar to 15 & DMac to the bench. I'd have gone with the Ioane option but what they ended up doing was a worst-of-both-worlds solution IMO.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
vs the 0% chance of Williams awarding a kickable penalty, those are pretty good odds :).

There's no way Mo'unga shoulda been still out there at the end. They knew on Friday that Beaugan was at least in some doubt: if that was deemed too-short notice to bring in Ioane (who was in Wellington Saturday if not Friday) they obviously had to shift JBar to 15 & DMac to the bench. I'd have gone with the Ioane option but what they ended up doing was a worst-of-both-worlds solution IMO.

Im no fan of the current coach / captain or selection policies. I'm just saying a drop goal was more than likely to miss hence no one trying one.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You can't have THPs doing that much work around the field and then expect dominant scrum work

Though that is exactly what we have come to expect from Tupou in Super. Understand that the expectation is onerous but it is what we’ve been getting.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry a bit late to this - haven't read the thread yet - congrats Wallabies fans - even though it was a draw it definitely felt like a Wallaby win.

Best Wallaby performance in NZ since 2001 Dunedin?

Wallabies look a far better coached outfit both than previous years and than the current ABs.

Wallabies have a lot to be excited about moving forward. If they can fix up set piece they can really put the ABs to the sword.

Wallabies looked to have a solid gameplan and played the conditions well - the best Wallaby kicking performance I can remember for a long time. Really liked White's sniping in the wet. Rennie showing similar game plan of when he coached Chiefs v Crusaders with getting up in the face on defence and rattling - To'omua and Wilson shots on Mounga a perfect example - great tactic. Wallaby forwards were really impressive - Philip a great find, Wilson non stop engine.

Wallabies can select the same 15/23 next week and really have a crack.

ABs on the other hand are a complete mess - where to begin - the back 3 was a complete mess - for years the Wallabies have been playing fullbacks out of position on the wing - now the script has flipped with the ABs selecting an ultra conservative back 3 and getting burned for it. Bridge is ridiculously overrated - Clarke showed he should have been starting.

The ABs loose forward mix was wrong too - Cane was awesome but Sotutu ended up with more tackles than Ardie and Sotutu came on after 63 minutes! For all Mounga's Super Rugby brilliance - take him out of the Crusaders system and he doesn't look nearly as strong - he was bad in North/South and was bad today. Rieko has always had a habit of putting the ball down like that and it's nearly burnt him in the past - today it finally catches up with him - learn how to dive pal!

Definitely felt like Williams calls favoured the ABs.

But what a test - unreal quality when you consider first test of the year - bring on Eden Park!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I imagine that on TV the game appeared pretty good. But the extended periods of absolutely nothing happening where everyone just stands around killed this as an in person event.
Yeah looked terrible on tv too. Every scrum was 4 minutes of resets and standing around, every fake muscle tweak for a breather another 4 minute drink break for entire squads.

No wonder they were all full of beans to finally get an extended run-around in the last 7 minutes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t agree at all. As an individual you are completely aware before the game that anyone is capable of running, passing or kicking. Any defensive structure takes this into account and has players sweeping behind to cover kicks. If anything the AB’s would be aware he kicks away a lot of ball and can plan around it. He is literally gifting them the ball and there was no upside to this, their defensive line did not start hanging back, in two minds about wether he will do another poor kick or not.

He literally kicked away 3 red hot attacking opportunities in the first 30. One is bad enough but two more, especially after seeing the result of the first one, the fact we had overlaps and a poorly functioning lineout. Extremely poor play. No wonder Korobete had a quiet game, every attacking chance he had was kicked away. I’m not a fan obviously but I thought he actually played well outside of this but it doesn’t come close to counteracting the massive negative impact these kicks had on our game.

The game plan to kick more is coached.

“I think you have got to have a balance to your game, you can’t be all out defence but you can’t be all out attack and no defence. You’ve got to kick when you need to, run when you need to and it’s making those correct decisions on the run.” Rennie

The boys are responsible for implementation, but not things like changing strategy because the line out was poor. Implementation will improve as will spotting better times to do it. But it is not the players who are responsible for the game strategy.

That game strategy took us closer than we have been in a very long time.

Reactions: TSR

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Yeah looked terrible on tv too. Every scrum was 4 minutes of resets and standing around, every fake muscle tweak for a breather another 4 minute drink break for entire squads.

No wonder they were all full of beans to finally get an extended run-around in the last 7 minutes.

The stop start nature just takes the crowd out if it entirely. Just when you think great some passages of play, then nothing happens for 5 minutes. Aussie's were especially guilty of this but if it was a tactic then tip of the hat to them it should have worked.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The breakdown issues were on our own ball though. That isn't solved by bringing in another fetcher.

I think it was a combination of our cleanouts not being accurate enough and we also made a number of poor decisions with ball in hand that led to the carrier getting isolated.

The number of lost rucks is somewhat inflated by the fact that we had a strong possession advantage (61% - 39%). This turned into us having 135 rucks in possession and the All Blacks 77. The overall retention stats aren't that far apart. We retained 91% of our rucks and they retained 93%.

The ruck retention seemed at least in part structural. Initially the pack would commit strongly, not exactly overcommit but with numbers. Then a few rucks later we’d be short. ABs stood off until there was opportunity.

I’d hope this can be better addressed on the training paddock.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ruck retention seemed at least in part structural. Initially the pack would commit strongly, not exactly overcommit but with numbers. Then a few rucks later we’d be short. ABs stood off until there was opportunity.

I’d hope this can be better addressed on the training paddock.

It definitely didn't look like we reset fast enough. Workrate in that sense needs to improve.

If you're wanting White to snipe often (which I think we do), you need the players reseting very quickly so they can clean out because a couple of phases later you do end up short.

Will be interesting to rewatch and work out how many of them were purely technique (i.e. the player was there in time and just missed their cleanout) and how many were due to not having a cleanout there in time and the player was isolated.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What I'm pleased about is it really seemed this game was us sounding the All Blacks out. Rennie knows we have four up against them, can't use every trick in the book in game one.

We stood off their line outs a lot, our backline moves were pretty vanilla. We've only had a few weeks together and we managed a draw in NZ. Keen to see what he has cooking.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The stop start nature just takes the crowd out if it entirely. Just when you think great some passages of play, then nothing happens for 5 minutes. Aussie's were especially guilty of this but if it was a tactic then tip of the hat to them it should have worked.

Yeah, Aussie front row was having a lot of breathers. Bit suss.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Keen to see what he has cooking.

Less keen to see what Fozzie has cooking.

kitchen-fire-photo-two.JPG

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Who was the official MoM yesterday? Does anyone know?

Also from line out to backline plays I think everything will get better with more time in the saddle.

1 of the those throws was horrible from Folau but also there was a lot mistiming in the jumps as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If we can get our lineouts working, and kick our kickable goals, we will take some beating, I reckon. That said, the Darkness played really poorly by their standards, and there were some weird selections, to my eye anyway.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don’t agree at all. As an individual you are completely aware before the game that anyone is capable of running, passing or kicking. Any defensive structure takes this into account and has players sweeping behind to cover kicks. If anything the AB’s would be aware he kicks away a lot of ball and can plan around it. He is literally gifting them the ball and there was no upside to this, their defensive line did not start hanging back, in two minds about wether he will do another poor kick or not.

He literally kicked away 3 red hot attacking opportunities in the first 30. One is bad enough but two more, especially after seeing the result of the first one, the fact we had overlaps and a poorly functioning lineout. Extremely poor play. No wonder Korobete had a quiet game, every attacking chance he had was kicked away. I’m not a fan obviously but I thought he actually played well outside of this but it doesn’t come close to counteracting the massive negative impact these kicks had on our game.

Did you actually read what I wrote before quoting and replying?