• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Remarkable difference between how Rennie conducts himself at post match interviews vs Cheika. Summed up nicely by a Journo asking about Reiko's foot being out of touch and Rennie essentially, shit happens. More importantly, looks like the Rennie clan are all adopted Australian's now as they were all wearing Gold!

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I could see Skelton in the row, with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) moving to 6, and Wilson to 8. Mouth-watering.

If there was a weakness in the back row in that first match, it was that they weren't moving quickly enough to follow the linebreaks, leading to the ball runners getting turned over. I think moving a second rower into the backrow is unlikely to improve the situation.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Remarkable difference between how Rennie conducts himself at post match interviews vs Cheika. Summed up nicely by a Journo asking about Reiko's foot being out of touch and Rennie essentially, shit happens. More importantly, looks like the Rennie clan are all adopted Australian's now as they were all wearing Gold!

i really like the couple of humorous interplays between the 2

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If there was a weakness in the back row in that first match, it was that they weren't moving quickly enough to follow the linebreaks, leading to the ball runners getting turned over. I think moving a second rower into the backrow is unlikely to improve the situation.

I don't think speed was the problem. (as in, I don't think the players were slow, or not capable of being faster) I am thinking it might have a bit more to do with knowing roles and decision making.

Often we either had too many, or clearly not enough at the breakdown. All of Wilson, Samu and Hooper have engaging running games and often find themselves attacking in wider channels. This is also where we often see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I don't think its a long bow to draw that a few too many of our players are used to being used as the ball runners and were waiting their turn further out, that we ended up running short on grinders shifting boulders and owning the breakdown.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I really love that when the answer is "Yes", that's all he says. Make the journos think a bit about what they ask!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One observation - will Rennie get himself in trouble if he keeps referring to the jersey as ‘Yellow’? :)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One observation - will Rennie get himself in trouble if he keeps referring to the jersey as ‘Yellow’? :)

If he builds a winning culture he can call it anything he likes, as far as I am concerned. In fact, we can change the name of the colour!!! It would be a very small price to pay.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder how much influence the separate Super Rugby seasons had on the Wallabies performance on the weekend, moreso from a mental standpoint.

In years past they've been used to getting spanked by the Kiwi Super Rugby teams for 15 weeks and then get to play the best of the best in the internationals. It would be draining.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how much influence the separate Super Rugby seasons had on the Wallabies performance on the weekend, moreso from a mental standpoint.

In years past they've been used to getting spanked by the Kiwi Super Rugby teams for 15 weeks and then get to play the best of the best in the internationals. It would be draining.

I'm not sure. Two of our last three wins were in the first test of the Bledisloe Cup (2015 and 2019).

The big test to see whether we've improved relatively is this weekend in my view. Our last five tests at Eden Park have had margins of 36, 28, 27, 28, and 31. Two of those came after the Wallabies won the previous weekend and one was after a draw.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

Yep. Another positve is that the younger team members have had the wood over the ABs at schoolboy and 20s level

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm not sure. Two of our last three wins were in the first test of the Bledisloe Cup (2015 and 2019).

The big test to see whether we've improved relatively is this weekend in my view. Our last five tests at Eden Park have had margins of 36, 28, 27, 28, and 31. Two of those came after the Wallabies won the previous weekend and one was after a draw.

They're some sobering numbers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

In years past we didn't really get spanked by the Kiwi Super Rugby teams on the regs. It was fairly even outside the Crusaders. It's only the years that followed RWC15 that we became hopeless across the board - which doesn't really explain the past 19 years of Bledisloe failures.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

That's a great press conference and a breath of fresh air. I'm liking Rennie

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yep. It's brutal.

I think it's worth remembering though to temper expectations and I guess create some realistic parameters around what might be considered a good performance.

Well, after that draw the odds for a NZ win have spiralled out of control from the frankly arrogant 1.08 to a much more balanced 1.13.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep. It's brutal.

I think it's worth remembering though to temper expectations and I guess create some realistic parameters around what might be considered a good performance.
At least this time the good result the week prior came in NZ, I think that should take out some of the psychological factor of playing at Eden Park.