• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Damn, NZ conceded possession 21 times to our 12. That's absolutely nuts.
Some credit must go to our defence. We were flying up at them.

For the same reason I’d be careful with reading too much into any missed tackle stats. Hooper, Wilson & To'omua at different stages all sprinted up at Mounga’a with different levels of success in terms of nailing him, but I reckon they succeeded in getting him to play deeper. It also allowed Paisami to rush up and hit the guys on the outside. When the ABs did get around the rush we were generally good in cover except in the notable case where they scored the first try.

Some work to do, but it was good to see some pressure defence from us.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
THP is often about managing energy, he had some wonderful efforts early and then paid for at scrum time

FP how does that energy expended work between attack and D? I’ve never been in a front row so no idea. I know stats (ESPN stats guru) don’t tell anything but an incomplete story but still:

Tupou: 8 runs for 5m. 2 tackles for 1 missed.
Moody: Nil runs. 13 tackles for nil missed.

Slipper: 3 runs for 11m. 3 tackles for nil missed
Tu’ungafasi: 4 “runs” for 0m. 15 tackles for 4 missed.

The work load for the AB props looks heavy to me but they still were a handfull at scrum time.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I found it tough to judge the scrums with Williams playing silly buggers with the free kicks. I don’t understand why the second one wasn’t a penalty for a repeated infringement? Made me think he didn’t even believe in his call.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
And how many of those coaches were in charge of the 7th ranked side in the world and managed a draw in Wellington?

This is a big result for the Wallabies no matter how you cut it. Perhaps some Kiwi supporters need to spend a little less time making condescending posts about how the Wallabies should just aim to do well post 2023 and a little more on how the ABs are going to arrest their downward slide.

I'm not concerned about the ABs one bit. We're in a win-win situation. We either retain the Bledisloe or don't, subsequently bringing in Robertson as head coach. In contrast, there are 101 reasons to be concerned about Australian rugby in a given year.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not concerned about the ABs one bit. We're in a win-win situation. We either retain the Bledisloe or don't, subsequently bringing in Robertson as head coach. In contrast, there are 101 reasons to be concerned about Australian rugby in a given year.
Yeah, nah. The fact you’re on here constantly talking down the Wallabies suggests you’re more than a little worried.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Did you actually read what I wrote before quoting and replying?

Yea I did and responded to it. I disagreed that attacking kicks are good for the sake of mixing it up. Clearly I don't disagree with the poor execution part but watching him throughout the year it doesn't look like something he is about to change. You also were responding to another post in agreement so I tried to address that one too. Sorry if there is any confusion.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The wind would not have let a drop be more than a 25% chance even from dead in front.

If you're beyond the 22 and at any kind of angle, absolutely not the conditions for a drop goal.

15m out, directly in front, with the wind behind you though - yes. They were set up for it but NZ dived in from the side to steal it.

Either way, i'd wager 80% of the time any back who kicks/restarts regularly, could've got it from there. They were set up for it, so they obviously thought the same, but kiwi cheating and shit reffing didn't give us either shot at goal to win it.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

apo_zpsu4n1gq2a.png

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah, nah. The fact you’re on here constantly talking down the Wallabies suggests you’re more than a little worried.

I'm a Kiwi living in Aus, I'm interested in the Wallabies just as much as New Zealand. I'm not worried, I welcome the struggle as it makes things more interesting. Aus being competitive makes things a lot more engaging as a rugby fan. I hope it continues.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Our composure at the death has been absent.
But to put it another way - the AB's were not able to find a way to win at the death, hopefully putting a damper on their confidence.
A bunch of Aussies just experienced being part of a team which put a crack in AB reputations.
That's a winner for me.

Reactions: TSR

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
But to put it another way - the AB's were not able to find a way to win at the death, hopefully putting a damper on their confidence.
A bunch of Aussies just experienced being part of a team which put a crack in AB reputations.
That's a winner for me.
They certainly gave it a good nudge.