• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The only change I'd make to the starting side would be to bring in Petaia if he's fit.

For the bench:-
Hosea for Simmons
Wright for Valentini - no real issue with game this weekend, but if LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is going to move to 6 in the second half, I'd prefer wright's work rate at the ruck

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I disagree that O'Connor wouldn't give you a lot at 12, I'd cop wanting him at 13 and a Hunter/Jordie at 12 if you want to really batter away but I think O'Connor's best position is that play-making 12 like Cheika kept trying to force Beale to be. But I think O'Connors ball running while not as hard has To'omua's is superior. O'Connor is just really really slippery teams get hands all over him but can't seam to actually get a hold of him, then he also gets his arm free for the offload very often, dumping it to your 10 or 13 after bending or breaking the line is better than anything To'omua did. I'd say O'Connor is playing much better than To'omua at the moment and should be ahead of To'omua for probably any of the backline positions. But O'Connor is killing it at 10 right now, let's not upset that. He's a nice big bodied 10 who looks to be organising his backline REALLY well.

I think he'd be a good pick to captain the side should anything happen to Hooper, or we need to move away form Hooper for whatever reason.
I'd be tempted to have not given him the kicking tee, let him focus on his play at flyhalf, but I think that's shown O'Connor is more secure in the side than To'omua.
and I agree 100% with Derpus I'd much rather they have a crack with Hunter/Jordie at Suncorp than Eden Park

Wilson played Pete Samu's game actually. For the Reds I felt like Wilson was on the fringes but not on the wing.

Regardless -- How fucking good was Filipo Daugunu!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ardie has a baby due in the very near future & has apparently said he wants to be there for the birth. Travelled to Auckland with the rest of the team but obviously could get called away at short notice. Beaugan is said to be over the Achilles issue but there's no mention of Laulala so presumably his "personal reasons" are ongoing.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
Harry Wilson played the exact same game he was required to for the Reds, though.

Well not the exact same, he didn't pack at 8 on the scrum, slightly different defensive role and no dealing with the ball at the back of the scrum. He also contributed more out wide than I recall he did for the Reds.

Anyway I'm also not suggesting Paisami changes his role very much if he moves to 12 too. I don't think it will happen this game but I'd like to see it, that's all.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I fully appreciate this is a ridiculous suggestion, but as a fun thought it’d be some 4D level chess kinda shit if Rennie gave McReight a start in this match. If you know me and my posts you’ll know I’m a huge Hooper fan and am definitely not a one eyed Reds booster, but after that match the All Blacks will be training a certain way and expecting little changes from the Wallabies. The kid is made for Test rugby and his selection would totally throw out their gameplan. Never going to happen, and really it shouldn’t happen as Hooper is a gun and is our best #7, but it’s fun to think about on a Monday afternoon!

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Is DHP fit again? Would make the following changes:
Hosea for Simmons
DHP for Hodge
Petaia for Lolesio

Watching the replay again last night JOC (James O'Connor) looks like the fittest guy on the park. He was also the only one who had a clear enough head to set up for the droppie with the wallabies at 10m line and also smart enough to set up to kick into touch in 89th minute.

And worse comes to worse To'omua can set up at 10 if JOC (James O'Connor) injured. Petaia gives you 12-14 coverage and DHP give wing/FB coverage. Yes Hodge has the biggest boot in World Rugby from the tee but not sure his selection is warranted on that alone.

On a side note watched Rennie's presser on youtube, the rugby might be better but he's definitely not the same entertainment value as Cheika after the match.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Watching the replay again last night JOC (James O'Connor) looks like the fittest guy on the park. He was also the only one who had a clear enough head to set up for the droppie with the wallabies at 10m line and also smart enough to set up to kick into touch in 89th minute.

I was surprised by his speed when he slid around to set up Koroibete in the corner.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, I can't see any way To'omua gets dropped after one test.

He'll just be told to reign in the kicking. Apart from that he had a pretty good game.

No doubt part of the reason we couldn't turn our big possession and territory advantage into more points is we didn't give ourselves a chance when we were hot on attack and instead kicked the ball away.

I'm assuming that Link would have initially made that request 6 years ago when he kept kicking it down the throat of the Springboks in the narrow loss over there. Point being, I don't think he will reign it in, it's always been his major blemish but he keeps doing it, and it's why he can't play at 10, however it's even worse that he's doing it from 12. The only way to stop it happening is to not have him out there. It's a tough one because I agree, if he keeps 9/10 of those kicks in hand then the other aspects of his game are close to world class. But it's a massive trade off.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I only just rewatched the highlights and it was he that grabbed the ball when it bounced back off the post and was lost forward by a kiwi. Good hunger.

Thought the hunger and desire from the whole team to chase the ball after Hodge's kick was great (was picturing hodge kicking it short and All Blacks carving up the length of the field prior to the kick). Especially as I felt that fitness/desire towards ends of games was missing towards the end of Cheika's reign.

Is that coming from Super Rugby AU? I guess Rennie's guys have only had 3 weeks with them.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I disagree that O'Connor wouldn't give you a lot at 12, I'd cop wanting him at 13 and a Hunter/Jordie at 12 if you want to really batter away but I think O'Connor's best position is that play-making 12 like Cheika kept trying to force Beale to be. But I think O'Connors ball running while not as hard has To'omua's is superior. O'Connor is just really really slippery teams get hands all over him but can't seam to actually get a hold of him, then he also gets his arm free for the offload very often, dumping it to your 10 or 13 after bending or breaking the line is better than anything To'omua did. I'd say O'Connor is playing much better than To'omua at the moment and should be ahead of To'omua for probably any of the backline positions. But O'Connor is killing it at 10 right now, let's not upset that. He's a nice big bodied 10 who looks to be organising his backline REALLY well.

I think he'd be a good pick to captain the side should anything happen to Hooper, or we need to move away form Hooper for whatever reason.
I'd be tempted to have not given him the kicking tee, let him focus on his play at flyhalf, but I think that's shown O'Connor is more secure in the side than To'omua.
and I agree 100% with Derpus I'd much rather they have a crack with Hunter/Jordie at Suncorp than Eden Park

Wilson played Pete Samu's game actually. For the Reds I felt like Wilson was on the fringes but not on the wing.

Disagree. JOC (James O'Connor) has already came out and said he was happy he wasn't playing 12 anymore as it was too hard on his body.
I'd prefer a player at 12 who embraces the physicality of the position - not shy away from it. Not that JOC (James O'Connor) would shy away from thr tough stuff if chosen in the position but players like To'omua embrace and thrive on the hard hitting stuff.

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I fully appreciate this is a ridiculous suggestion, but as a fun thought it’d be some 4D level chess kinda shit if Rennie gave McReight a start in this match. If you know me and my posts you’ll know I’m a huge Hooper fan and am definitely not a one eyed Reds booster, but after that match the All Blacks will be training a certain way and expecting little changes from the Wallabies. The kid is made for Test rugby and his selection would totally throw out their gameplan. Never going to happen, and really it shouldn’t happen as Hooper is a gun and is our best #7, but it’s fun to think about on a Monday afternoon!

Pq0B4oJjGnKz2fByyQcpUzJYMHEgMGClk_nEImO0tEbsk34V9QfZvJYzjBK369CUk8ayFcIjOFJLttgi3C8gbNs22lVjPQiNZjbqMGlxD9hnPnamEAbILlRg_U_v8vDdM-yA_g4necqlGtHIRlYMJwpsN2b9XifI6kE

Frenchy

Bob McCowan (2)

Spot on. To'omua may carry the ball harder in contact than O'Connor, but his ball running is less impressive, especially in direction changes.

JOC (James O'Connor) appears to have lost some explosiveness, although I suspect he's just being careful about hitting that 100% intensity level, to preserve himself from old injuries. Maybe at just 30 years old he can still pull it out sometimes. But he still has all his balance, and a dynamic enough step to make him deceptively elusive. I'm quite sure he would run the ball better than To'omua at 12. The whole notion of needing a hard carrier there is over rated when you have the forwads to do that, and hard running wingers. But I appreciate To'omua's skillset in combining hard carrying with fly-half attributes which is not a common combination.

Back to JOC (James O'Connor), he started his career in super rugby at 12 for a reason. I can't help but wonder what would have happened to him if he was solidified and comforted there in the long term, instead of switching around all the time and thrown under the bus at 10 with no experience against the Lions, which destroyed him mentally. Maybe that would have meant holding on a couple more years before selecting him in the Wallabies, but by now he would have hit 100 caps.

I wouldn't mind seeing lolesio 10 - JOC (James O'Connor) 12 soon, To'omua grabbing a bench spot to cover both position.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
When did O'Connor say that? Because there would be a LOT more physical pressure on playing 13 than on playing 12 and he looked like a duck to water playing 13 for the Wallabies. I'd say he might have said 'he prefers playing 10 because it's less physically demanding', but I'm skeptical about even that, he's not been at all shy for Queensland. But even if we assume O'Connor isn't as physical as To'omua, O'Connor is still making compatible post contact meters he's just doing it in a way that might preserve his body...

I would envisage long term (like heading into the 2023 RWC long term) O'Connor shepherding in a new flyhalf, likely Lol'o or Harrison (but could easily be someone else, perhaps the Reds pull a quality young flyhalf out of their ass? not likely). and then sliding into a utility back type role either filling in where needed or coming off the bench. I was a little unsure about O'Connor starting at 10 in test rugby but he REALLY controlled the game really well. He can easily play 10, 12, 13, and probably 15 as well as having quite a bit of experience on the wing too.

IMO right now O'Connor is probably our best option at 10 & 12, and 13 (Jordie keeps this one close, but O'Connor's lines from 13 are SOOOOO good). Should Lol'o (or Harrison) show he's got the right stuff at 10 then I'd slide O'Connor into the centers in a heart beat. But for these NZ games at least I suspect Lolesio will be playing left right out. We are going to need the extra forward and between O'Connor, To'omua & Hodge I think we've got all the versatility we need.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Despite making a booking at the pub a week in advance and requesting a good view of the tv, the dickheads put us on the same wall as said TV. So I’ve now had a second look at the game and made my 3.2.1 votes accordingly.

With regards to this week’s game:
- we know that Rennie’s preferred team was that which ran out except with Petaia at 13 and DHP at 15. I think we can expect those changes if those players are fit - Banks was OK without being superb, Paisami was great but Petaia is potentially world class. Paisami could potentially push Lolesio off the bench.
- the back row balance was a bit off. I think we might see Wilson at 8, Wright at 6, Samu to the bench and Valetini left right out, unless we go to a 6:2 bench.
- FF (Folau Fainga'a) really did have a terrible game. I’m going to assume that Latu will be joining the squad after this game, and Rennie needs to work out who is the deputy hooker, so I reckon Uelese will get the start this weekend.
- despite my criticism of To'omua kicking the try scoring opportunities away, he probably will retain the start, but I hope they are giving plan B plenty of time on the training pitch, because if he does it again fucking hook him.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s a new squad and a new coach. The only player who could expect to be dropped(to the bench) is FF (Folau Fainga'a). But I reckon Rennie will give him a shot at redemption, and rightly so.
It should be the same starting 15 with Petaia and Wright coming onto the bench in place of Lolesio and Valentini.