• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We could do the same. Just as an example, three to four of our best locks are currently playing in Europe or Japan. It aint just you.

Like comparing a sprint horse with a Bugatti.

RSA economy leads to a hugely larger problem for retention of pro rugby players c/f Aus. Selection criteria between the two Nations are completely different.

If we had just achieved #1 ranking then asked to front with structural problems that clearly disadvantage the WBs do you think we’d be going “fair enough”? I don’t think so. In this case the impact of COVID is nothing like a level playing field.

Money issues mean that SARU and the players will be keen all the same. I expect it will all blow over. Just let it play out.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
We could do the same. Just as an example, three to four of our best locks are currently playing in Europe or Japan. It aint just you.

SA has a magnitude more quality players in Europe and Japan. It's not just "a couple of locks." Who would you pick from Europe other than three locks, McMahon and Kerevi? There would be no justifiction outside those names.

Of the 23 RWC final squad, 15 are contracted overseas. The next tier down includes world class players who are still in their prime.

There is simply no comparison. It is an economically driven reality and has been for years.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If we had just achieved #1 ranking then asked to front with structural problems that clearly disadvantage the WBs do you think we’d be going “fair enough”? I don’t think so. In this case the impact of COVID is nothing like a level playing field.

I have no doubt that the ARU would have been as cautious, if not more so.

Reactions: dru

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I understand the caution, and as you say RA would be the same.

But at the end of the day as a fan I'd want them to try and push through and make it work, even with a scrappy squad of debutants. Who cares if you lose every game? The expectation will be so low that any remotely competitive outcome is an achievement.

Because if the choice is between scrappy, underdog rugby and no rugby, I'm taking the first one ten times out of ten.

Now obviously this is an oversimplification and there are heaps of issues at play, but this is GAGR and we have no time for nuance.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
No same thing, how could anyone possibly get a competitive team together. It's only a bloody game of rugby we are going to miss!!

And the majority of all income of participating unions income for the year....

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like the idea of the ANZAC Barbarians side if South Africa pull out. They'd potentially be more competitive than the undercooked Springboks would be at the moment anyway, and the novelty would be cool. 15 players out of each squad, Brad Thorn as coach.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I like the idea of the ANZAC Barbarians side if South Africa pull out. They'd potentially be more competitive than the undercooked Springboks would be at the moment anyway, and the novelty would be cool. 15 players out of each squad, Brad Thorn as coach.

That would be fantastic. I don't know if the boardroom silverbacks on each side would allow it but it's a great concept.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So at the end of the day it's really a pride thing and not wanting to lose games

No that's just speculation on this bored that it is a pride thing , because some says that is the reason doesn't make it true! I believe it is very much player welfare as Rassie has said.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No that's just speculation on this bored that it is a pride thing , because some says that is the reason doesn't make it true! I believe it is very much player welfare as Rassie has said.

I believe it is a sour grapes thing and you just want the whole tournament to be a failure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Plenty of players have returned from injury at test level with less then 400mims game time, not sure where this arbitrary number can from. Maybe one which they knew they couldn’t achieve

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I believe it is a sour grapes thing and you just want the whole tournament to be a failure.

Well KOB, that says more about you than me! Why would I possibly want the tournament to be a failure? What an absolutely ridiculous comment! Or do you believe posts on here as fact?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Plenty of players have returned from injury at test level with less then 400mims game time, not sure where this arbitrary number can from. Maybe one which they knew they couldn’t achieve

I agree and as said plenty of players have done it and been nursed through by fit players, and I repeat, one of reasons that for preseason games is to ease players into rugby, and players that come in late usually play part games.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

Absolute bullshit, as others have alluded to, it’s very much possible and safe for the players to play test match rugby on the level of games and training the SA players have had

Hell with the amount of players they’d have to be bringing over they could essentially wheel out two seperate teams so the players aren’t even playing back to back test matches

Funny how just a few months ago SA were so insistent on everyone meeting their contractual obligations in super rugby blah blah blah but all of a sudden when it looks like there’s a chance they might get a one of pantsing they fold like a deck of cards

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes, there have been many players brought into international squads with little to no game time, then they play 20 min off the bench or, maybe even a full game.

The reality is that the majority of the 14 guys around them are fit.

Here we're talking about at least 30 of the 45 or 46 guys not being fit. Of those that are are all in Europe.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Absolute bullshit, as others have alluded to, it’s very much possible and safe for the players to play test match rugby on the level of games and training the SA players have had

Alluded to by who, posters on this thread? Look all I saying if SARU's coaching and medical team don't believe it is in the player's best interests to play, I would certainly take their word for it before yours, mine or anyone else's on bored, they know how much it will cost them financially so no way are they taking the decision lightly!

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Alluded to by who, posters on this thread? Look all I saying if SARU's coaching and medical team don't believe it is in the player's best interests to play, I would certainly take their word for it before yours, mine or anyone else's on bored, they know how much it will cost them financially so no way are they taking the decision lightly!

No I’m sorry, you’re 100% correct

South African Rugby have always been the shining light of being open, transparent and having their players best interests at the forefront of all their decision making

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Hell with the amount of players they’d have to be bringing over they could essentially wheel out two seperate teams so the players aren’t even playing back to back test matches

Funny how just a few months ago SA were so insistent on everyone meeting their contractual obligations in super rugby blah blah blah but all of a sudden when it looks like there’s a chance they might get a one of pantsing they fold like a deck of cards

Believe me I understand the mist that descends when Dan says, well anything.

Still there are orders of magnitude difference between being turfed out of an ongoing competition and having problems getting a rep team for a comp on one occasion.