• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
"Australia can't provide 5 competitive teams. So we'll talk to anyone who can provide 3 completely UNcompetitive teams as some kind of threat to those Aussies!"

Seriously, NZR are taking the recent success of the ABs, cross-breeding it with The Dingo That Stole Their World Cup, and coming out with a retarded Jabberwock. It is fucking laughable at this point.

At the same time, RA need to sharpen up their negotiation skills and ditch a bit of this old boys shit in order to get a better deal. I'd love Fox/Kayo to be shot through the temple in the first round of negotiations as Optus or another player put something on the table.

OR if they can lock in some finance on historically low rates, build their own streaming system and charge appropriately. I'd rather pay RA $25 a month to watch rugby than forking out $15 to Uncle Rupert via literally any other platform.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I reckon the franchises just play hardball with player salaries. Cut the fuck out of them - accept you'll lose a chunk and work with what's left. No cutting any teams.

This I like. Especially the bit about getting rid of Wallaby contracts, which are the cliff edge for a lot of players between earning the average salary and going into superstar mode.

While we're at it: can we please line player agents up against the wall?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree, but I think you will find if you have listened to what NZR have said, they want all Aus teams in if they are able to be sustainable, you know be able to be able to afford, and you can bet your boots they won't be keen on other teams that can't show they are able to afford to be there ,they won't be unknowns, as shown by not letting PI team join next year. It's called responsible governance!

Respectfully Dan, that’s bullshit.
The competition design as dictated by NZRU allowed for as few as 2 Aussie teams, and at most 4 if the Pasifika team was included. It’s none of NZRUs business as to how Australia goes about sustaining 2 or 4 teams, and it’s absolutely not NZRU decision to dictate that Australia can only financially support 2 - 4 teams without discussing this topic with RA themselves. you’re rewriting history now with some of these claims.

Responsible governance my ass, if NZRU were demonstrating responsible governance they would have engaged their partners in this process working towards a common goal, and not have excluded them from the decision making process in turn creating this backlash from everyone including their own players union.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wasn’t sure where to put this but in South Africa the Cheetahs are going through their own franchise cancellation problems. Got to feel for Free State, they were a Super Rugby quality team (not finalists perhaps), using that unique African home advantage (altitude) and they blazed a successful trail to Europe.

Now unceremoniously rejected to sit next to the Griquas and Pumas.

Respect guys and all the best.

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/pro14/breaking-cheetahs-officially-booted-from-pro-rugby-20200929

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wasn’t sure where to put this but in South Africa the Cheetahs are going through their own franchise cancellation problems. Got to feel for Free State, they were a Super Rugby quality team (not finalists perhaps), using that unique African home advantage (altitude) and they blazed a successful trail to Europe.

Now unceremoniously rejected to sit next to the Griquas and Pumas.

Respect guys and all the best.

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/pro14/breaking-cheetahs-officially-booted-from-pro-rugby-20200929

the involvement in super 8 with nz and australia is wrong and misunderstood what super 8 about

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
the involvement in super 8 with nz and australia is wrong and misunderstood what super 8 about
It's certainly presumptive, but I think the South Africans understand the concept. It's more a case of wanting to enforce their will.

We all know the SARU haven't actually become shrinking violets in the wake of being "forced" out of supe by the nasty enzedders. The saffers are pushing their agenda and will continue pushing their agenda.

It was expedient to throw the poor old Cheetahs a bone after booting them out of Europe, and a potential S8 berth was it.

"Sanzaar, I'm telling you which teams can play". Simple enough. TBF, any Japanese involvement is probably on a similar basis.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
so we have best pro super rugby sides from oz and nz super rugby competition against a amateur-semi pro cheetahs side.

that will make for great contest lol. no chance of it happening as you see how ludicrous the notion is - reckon just misleading reporting

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
so we have best pro super rugby sides from oz and nz super rugby competition against a amateur-semi pro cheetahs side.
Yep. It's outrageous, it's egregious, it's preposterous!

But it could be the price of admission. Let me shave a point or two off the preposterousness, though.
  • Firstly, the (admittedly nebulous and variable) concept for a short Champions Cup called for 2 saffer teams, IIRC. To get the top SA team in, they might have to be packaged with the Cheetahs "on a promise".
  • Said promise may only be for 2021.
  • The S8 itself may not last post-Covid (or be played at all) if the ambitions of having more than SH involved are realised.
  • The Cheetahs recently went on a buying spree for their tilt at the Pro14 (now taken away). Their transition to semi-pro will last into 2021 -- as will their legal action against SARU.
  • As mentioned above, even getting Japan involved will be on the terms of the JFRU. Perhaps the Top League champ along with a "Wolfpack XV"
I could go on ........

The thing is, all this stuff is new territory. A long-term solution is unlikely to be settled by next year. The financial need is to get something happening but there'll be some trial and error.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RA Chairman keeps it coming with another lashing of NZRU over there treatment of Australian Rugby in recent months.

As it stands, New Zealand and Australia are set to continue to operate separate domestic Super Rugby competitions in 2021, although plans remain fluid in such uncertain times.

McLennan said a Kiwi proposal to include unproven teams from Hong Kong, Hawaii and an Auckland-based Pacific team was questionable.

“We were instructed that New Zealand wanted to create a world-class competition, and so three new teams go forward -- that makes a mockery of the original premise,” McLennan said.

“How could you compare those teams to the Brumbies or the Reds?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...w/news-story/acacf1b252ce7aaaf3e67093ddfdef1f

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
RA Chairman keeps it coming with another lashing of NZRU over there treatment of Australian Rugby in recent months.

As it stands, New Zealand and Australia are set to continue to operate separate domestic Super Rugby competitions in 2021, although plans remain fluid in such uncertain times.

McLennan said a Kiwi proposal to include unproven teams from Hong Kong, Hawaii and an Auckland-based Pacific team was questionable.

“We were instructed that New Zealand wanted to create a world-class competition, and so three new teams go forward -- that makes a mockery of the original premise,” McLennan said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...w/news-story/acacf1b252ce7aaaf3e67093ddfdef1f
NZRU deserve more then a lashing as words fail me how unprofessional, unethical and arrogant they have been in their dealings. I want to see Impey and Robertson to fall on their sword as needed to start any chance of rebuilding relationships.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the best we can come up with for 2021 is to have NZ and OZ each run their own Super comps and then have 1 & 2 from each comp play each other in a knockout or round robin format at the conclusion of the respective seasons. It's simple and doesn't have to be confirmed this month or even this year. We just assume that both unions will run their own show and hopefully come together with the TT before test season starts.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s possible of course that Brumbies and Reds are the two teams that NZRZU wanted.

Works for us? Nup.

I don't think they had a team in mind. The Reds have only been better than the Tahs this year. Before, the Tahs were a better side for what, the last 6 or 7 years?

The Force, who are easily Aus' worst side would still be miles ahead where any new franchise coming in would be.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

This is meant to be from same statement
As a result, McLennan counselled NZ Rugby to stop speculating about whether Rugby Australia could put together a broadcast deal to support its five teams, and issued a gentle reminder to the Western Force – who have been in talks with NZ Rugby – that their players will not be eligible for the Wallabies if they play in a NZ Rugby competition.

McLennan was the one who questioned whether Australia could afford 5 teams on NZ tv just 2 weeks ago! And is everything rosey as we are lead to believe if Hamish is warning Force to toe the line? By the way I don't think, don't want Force in any other comp. Seems Hamish may just becoming abit of a media tart without being careful what he says.
Still like him, but he needs to be a little careful some of this stuff he stretching the truth on may come back to burn him if he not careful!

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think they had a team in mind. The Reds have only been better than the Tahs this year. Before, the Tahs were a better side for what, the last 6 or 7 years?

The Force, who are easily Aus' worst side would still be miles ahead where any new franchise coming in would be.

Of course they had specific teams in mind NSW, Queensland & whoever chooses to pay the bills for a 3rd team.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Historically? That statement would be an injustice to the Rebels

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This is meant to be from same statement
As a result, McLennan counselled NZ Rugby to stop speculating about whether Rugby Australia could put together a broadcast deal to support its five teams, and issued a gentle reminder to the Western Force – who have been in talks with NZ Rugby – that their players will not be eligible for the Wallabies if they play in a NZ Rugby competition.

McLennan was the one who questioned whether Australia could afford 5 teams on NZ tv just 2 weeks ago! And is everything rosey as we are lead to believe if Hamish is warning Force to toe the line? By the way I don't think, don't want Force in any other comp. Seems Hamish may just becoming abit of a media tart without being careful what he says.
Still like him, but he needs to be a little careful some of this stuff he stretching the truth on may come back to burn him if he not careful!

Nah that comment wasn’t in the article. Show me where McLennan made that statement just 2 weeks ago.

You’re happy to quote McLennan and use his comments to support the kiwi narrative when it suits, but when it doesn’t he is a media tart who you accuse of lieing.

Can I ask, do you dispute what he has said, that by NZRU parachuting in 3 new teams they’re making a mockery of original premise of culling Aussie teams to maintain competitiveness?

Status
Not open for further replies.