• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well KOB, that says more about you than me! Why would I possibly want the tournament to be a failure? What an absolutely ridiculous comment! Or do you believe posts on here as fact?
It was largely a tongue in cheek comment, however you do come across as being negative anything to do with this prospective tournament except for the NZRU administration.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Who cares if you lose every game?

giphy.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It was largely a tongue in cheek comment, however you do come across as being negative anything to do with this prospective tournament except for the NZRU administration.

Why we have been discussing SA, you know the Springboks? Are you sure you even know what the discussion is about?
:(

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
smh article re-published on stuff.co.nz puts the cost to SARU of not playing TRC at $A10Mn & suggests Rassie etc are trying to lower expectations as to bokke performance rather than making the case for non-participation. With due respect to Ulrich & Blue that sounds about right to me.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
smh article re-published on stuff.co.nz puts the cost to SARU of not playing TRC at $A10Mn & suggests Rassie etc are trying to lower expectations as to bokke performance rather than making the case for non-participation. With due respect to Ulrich & Blue that sounds about right to me.

I never said they won't pitch.

I actually advocated for them pitching if you look back in this thread a bit.

Honestly, SA is currently in such turmoil locally that none of you would ever understand (no, not generally, specifically the last 2 weeks).

That's where my attention has been at mostly. We're on the precipice of an elongated turnaroud or a civil war.

I know the Boks will do us proud, but it's not what the average South African has been concerning themselves with recently. I'm a hardcore supporter so I'm here.

A lot of the focus here has been on the Boks not attending. Let's say they do - which I have always said they probably will - then what?

Are Aussies and Kiwis happy for SA making money or are they happy for easier games?

Frankly, from a rugby perspective I'd be more concerned about NZ's recent record at Wellington stadium.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Perhaps there is one way to take some pressure off? Maybe if SA come and not actually participate in RC, but play as a SA Baabaa's team, so the games are then not official test matches, ne World Rankings etc lost, but most importantly would then have games played, but without the intensity of Tests, allowing perhaps a bit more freedom for everyone to run 'other' players than full test sides, and can be some tweaking of rules re subs etc?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Perhaps there is one way to take some pressure off? Maybe if SA come and not actually participate in RC, but play as a SA Baabaa's team, so the games are then not official test matches, ne World Rankings etc lost, but most importantly would then have games played, but without the intensity of Tests, allowing perhaps a bit more freedom for everyone to run 'other' players than full test sides, and can be some tweaking of rules re subs etc?

Won't happen. Because you can't have a non-test rep team winning a test rep comp.

SA will have to play and, maybe, surprise.

Wouldn't that be something.

If not, well, who cares about 57-0 and 36-0 losses and the like eh? Certainly several of the posters here don't :) .

Lest they moan next time the Wallabies take a walloping.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Perhaps there is one way to take some pressure off? Maybe if SA come and not actually participate in RC
Yeah nah.

Just ask the rich South African broadcasters (or, better yet, the SARU insurers) to put 250 million Rand compensation in the trinations pot.

Said broadacasters get to keep their players for Currie Cup. This is a WIN/WIN … Enter Australia A in place of the Bok matches -- no travel/quarantine needed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Are Aussies and Kiwis happy for SA making money or are they happy for easier games?

Oh for sure easier games. I would love to go see a Wallabies game where we put South Africa to the sword. It would be better if the SA team was formidable and we still won but I'd take a walloping. I hope I wouldn't want Aus to pull out of TRC because they were really weak that year but who knows.

I'm sorry to hear about SA rugby at the moment, sounds confusing to me because we put a lot of our struggles on the Wallabies being shit. You guys just won an epic RWC, you should be on top of the world right now and not breaking apart.

Also, SA coming means more money for Australia. This upcoming TRC already feels a bit hokey and illegitimate. Having SA here brings a lot more people through the gate and makes it feel like something proper.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why doesn't Rennie select some unfit players whom he wouldn't necessarily select if all his best players were available and play them to make things fair?

He's a new coach you say?

So is Nienaber.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Oh for sure easier games. I would love to go see a Wallabies game where we put South Africa to the sword. It would be better if the SA team was formidable and we still won but I'd take a walloping. I hope I wouldn't want Aus to pull out of TRC because they were really weak that year but who knows.

I'm sorry to hear about SA rugby at the moment, sounds confusing to me because we put a lot of our struggles on the Wallabies being shit. You guys just won an epic RWC, you should be on top of the world right now and not breaking apart.

Also, SA coming means more money for Australia. This upcoming TRC already feels a bit hokey and illegitimate. Having SA here brings a lot more people through the gate and makes it feel like something proper.

See my reply above.

You're being foolish mate.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let's cheapen the jersey shall we. Let's make it easy to become All Blacks, Wallabies and Springboks.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Why doesn't Rennie select some unfit players whom he wouldn't necessarily select if all his best players were available and play them to make things fair?

He's a new coach you say?

So is Nienaber.

I think he actually might against Argentina..... But you play what you're dealt. You don't pull up stumps and go home because you don't like the odds. When other nations are trying their hardest to compromise to get something going during a global pandemic you put in effort too. I don't want to go too hard on SA as they haven't pulled out yet and I'm liking the idea of Rassie saying all this for the underdog card.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think he actually might against Argentina... But you play what you're dealt. You don't pull up stumps and go home because you don't like the odds. When other nations are trying their hardest to compromise to get something going during a global pandemic you put in effort too. I don't want to go too hard on SA as they haven't pulled out yet and I'm liking the idea of Rassie saying all this for the underdog card.

Let's play then.

Swings and roundabouts eh?

Boks will do us proud.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Won't happen. Because you can't have a non-test rep team winning a test rep comp.

SA will have to play and, maybe, surprise.

Wouldn't that be something.

If not, well, who cares about 57-0 and 36-0 losses and the like eh? Certainly several of the posters here don't :) .

Lest they moan next time the Wallabies take a walloping.

Fair enough mate, I just chucking out wild ideas. Mate I admit to having huge respect for SA rugby, and would hope I wrong and they can put out a real top team when ABs and Boks meet. That is as it should be I believe.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fair enough mate, I just chucking out wild ideas. Mate I admit to having huge respect for SA rugby, and would hope I wrong and they can put out a real top team when ABs and Boks meet. That is as it should be I believe.

Just putting it out there.

Are 21-9, 36-0 and 57-0 respectable outcomes for people around here?

Is it acceptable to give test caps to people who do not necessarily deserve them?

In fact, is a 10-9 loss acceptable?

Not in my books.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let's put it this way.

NZ lost 4-0 in a series against SA in 1949. They also lost to Rhodesia (for those not familiar, it's current-day Zimbabwe).

It stands in the record books.

Do you think that's fair? They split their squad. Probably had some colour requirements for SA, I really don't know for that specific time period.

Fact is, the record now stands there. It sucks. It was preventable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If not being 100% is not acceptable for the Boks so be it. Call it now so we can make alternate arrangements (or months ago - as any half competent organization would have).

I personally love the idea of a ANZAC/Pasifika Baaabaa's side.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let's put it this way.

NZ lost 4-0 in a series against SA in 1949. They also lost to Rhodesia (for those not familiar, it's current-day Zimbabwe).

It stands in the record books.

Do you think that's fair? They split their squad. Probably had some colour requirements for SA, I really don't know for that specific time period.

Fact is, the record now stands there. It sucks. It was preventable.

So you admit that you are just trying to preserve your number 1 status?

That's not what rugby is about for me.