• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
RugbyPass credits him with one turnover won (same as Hooper). Both were from diving on a loose ball.

They might have their wires crossed then, this is from RugbyPass's instagram page.

Makes more sense than him having a sensational game and me completely missing it.
IMG_3654.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One of those came from diving on a loose ball?

Out of interest, where are those stats from?

RugbyPass credits him with one turnover won (same as Hooper). Both were from diving on a loose ball.

Fox Sports and rugby.com.au both have him with 1 turnover, as well as 11 tackles (1 missed)...........

Although they differ with his carries - both list 8 carries, but the former has for 40 metres and the latter 25 metres, but both with 2 defenders beaten/tackle busts.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Hooper scored a cracking pilfer at the ruck towards the end of the first half. Both him and Samu had their heads at the bottom of every 3rd ruck as far as I could tell, Wilson got the ball running/linking gig this game, Samu got told to shift rocks and smash people.

Worked very well, and aside from some timing issues with jumpers, the lineout was alright. Several of the lost lineouts were from poor lifts, just not getting a good grip etc, a couple were not straight in the wind and one was just well read. Not really concerned there, FF (Folau Fainga'a) is usually on the money with the set piece and his skills around the field are far better than that spilled ball before halfway 99% of the time.

Simmons out - I'd like to see Swinton in, tbh. He's got the lineout height, and him coming on with 20 to go could be huge if he doesn't get red carded 14 seconds after coming on. He's not a proper 2nd row though. Hosea might be an option or Blyth? Anyone but Simmons.

Petaia - Maybe for Lolesio, I don't see much point bringing Lolesio on with 20 to go in Auckland, we'll either be right in it, or 30 down. Either way, i'd save him for Argentina or SA.

Petaia coming on with Swinton at 60mins...? Yeah that does me

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My memory was my re-watch last night was one turnover won from diving on a loose ball.

I don't think we really had one clean breakdown steal all game. There were a couple of forced penalties and a couple of times our attempt to pilfer caused the ball to spill out that we then were able to dive on (like the final turnover when we were defending our line).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm still on my one eyed bandwagon calling for FF (Folau Fainga'a) to be benched. Imagine if Ioane's try stood we'd almost be shut out of the game there. It was all on an unforced error from FF (Folau Fainga'a) whilst we were hot on attack with a chance of coming away with a try or at least points. His errant throws also could've been the difference between a draw and a win. Give 'em half each. I'm sure Rennie is well aware of all this though.
Before the game I preferred Uelese, but now that’s FF (Folau Fainga'a) has been given first crack I’d prefer he get a couple of tests. I’m not a fan of rotation/dropping someone who has won their spot after 1 game. I think it impacts negatively on both the player and team confidence as well as cohesion.

If you look at the particular move you are referring to, Fainga'a appeared to try and pull his pass back. This is a move he has executed without problem dozens of times with the Brumbies (without ever stuffing that I can remember) - but the difference there is that they would have practiced it an extra 1000 times and he is a lot more familiar with the runners.

When I saw it I assumed the runner wasn’t where he expects them to be. He tried to adjust, but it was too late. I assume that the hole runner actually got their line wrong because he did start to pass. Maybe I need to watch it again.

The other big criticism of FF (Folau Fainga'a) was his lineout throwing. Fair enough in a sense that it is the hookers number 1 job. However Samu was the only jumper with whom he has any experience. Fainga'a has shown before he can get rattled under pressure - so it is definitely something he needs to work on. But personally I’m prepared to cut some slack - if for no other reason than we need some consistency to improve our lineout and I don’t see Uelese as a significant step up.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
^^^^ I think it's a matter of working out who will be Latu's deputy though. Fainga'a got the start last week and I think Uelese will this week.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One of those came from diving on a loose ball?

Out of interest, where are those stats from?

Hoops got a proper pilfer (or maybe it was a forced penalty).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hoops got a proper pilfer (or maybe it was a forced penalty).

A forced penalty just before half time (which led to the lineout where Fainga'a dropped the ball and almost cost us a try).

Daugunu had a forced penalty and that was just about it.

We received 7 penalties, one was a no arms tackle on Hooper, a couple for slowing our ball down and I can't remember what else.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
At some point Uelese needs to be given a chance, just as FF (Folau Fainga'a) has been done. Uelese was the back up to Latu last year and played very well. FF (Folau Fainga'a) still unproven at this level. I agree that FF (Folau Fainga'a) should get another start, but if he has a similar performance this weekend he should be out of the 23 and BPA given a run.
There is no telling what sort of shape Latu is in. The bloke is rocks or diamonds, there is no middle ground. Hope hes diamonds at the moment!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^ I think it's a matter of working out who will be Latu's deputy though. Fainga'a got the start last week and I think Uelese will this week.
I really doubt Rennie is looking at it in those terms, but even if he was I don’t agree that would be the best way to approach it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If Rennie was likely to drop Fainga'a I think he would have dragged him at half time rather than giving him an additional 20 minutes in the second half (where he was a fair bit better).

Yeah thats sound logic to me, I want Uelese to start but think he'll stay on the bench.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fox Sports and rugby.com.au both have him with 1 turnover, as well as 11 tackles (1 missed).....

Although they differ with his carries - both list 8 carries, but the former has for 40 metres and the latter 25 metres, but both with 2 defenders beaten/tackle busts.

It's funny, because "statistics" always sounds like something accurately measured and compiled.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Rennie was likely to drop Fainga'a I think he would have dragged him at half time rather than giving him an additional 20 minutes in the second half (where he was a fair bit better).

Not necessarily, he seems like a coach that would stick with the game plan rather than make decisions on the fly.
I really doubt Rennie is looking at it in those terms, but even if he was I don’t agree that would be the best way to approach it.

Yeah, agreed, I didn't really explain it as I meant it. Fainga'a got the start last week and didn't really capitalise on it. I see it as being the only performance based changed that is likely for this week. I think that Latu will be one of the two internationals that come back, and if so he is certainly going to be in the 23. If Fainga'a had played the house down and made the position his own it would be a different story, but he didn't so I think he will want to see what Uelese brings.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A forced penalty just before half time (which led to the lineout where Fainga'a dropped the ball and almost cost us a try).

Daugunu had a forced penalty and that was just about it.

We received 7 penalties, one was a no arms tackle on Hooper, a couple for slowing our ball down and I can't remember what else.

Does a forced penalty not count as a turnover won?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
When I saw it I assumed the runner wasn’t where he expects them to be. He tried to adjust, but it was too late. I assume that the hole runner actually got their line wrong because he did start to pass. Maybe I need to watch it again.
Given that the players have a nano second to decide what to do and this armchair critic has the luxury of a comfy couch to pontificate from, my take of the scenario is this:
Move goes according to plan but pesky opposition ruin Plan A by getting into position to smash the inside runner. FF (Folau Fainga'a) realises that he, not the intended receiver, is running into a hole. It's time to go to Plan B - hold onto the ball and hit the gap. BUT his arms have already started to deliver the inside pass.
Changing actions mid-action rarely works.

If only I was out there with all my wisdom and 20-20 hindsight. (I would have told Hodge to aim 2 inches further left as well)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It looked as though he lost control of the ball when he went to pass it inside and he popped it up trying to gain control.