• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have to chuckle. On one hand there appears to be complaining about us recruiting foreigners, having no salary cap and an unlimited budget, and on the other hand telling us to spend god knows how much on 4 or 5 guys of which probably only one (Latu) would every play for the Wallabies again.

not complaining about the lack of salary cap. Just the foreign recruitment. If we wanted a team full of forieigners I actually think we'd be better of having Fiji in.

I'm just pointing out the whinging of the Force fans who say they've hampered in recruiting when they can literally sign any player in the world. How many Aussie players have broken contracts because of bigger contracts elsewhere? Why woudn't Twiggy throw a $1M each at Kerevi, McMahon, the Arnolds, Rodda, Hocking, Lucas, Gill, Morahan, etc. No dickheads there. All Aussies with the ability to strengthen the Australian game.

But if you guys think Kahui and Thrush still have something to contribute on the field (after what they did this season gone) then go for your life.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don’t understand it, don’t see why those things would be mutually exclusive, but fair enough.

It was in response to a post that someone made alluding to the fact that we would be worse off if the Force didn't play Super Rugby. I maintain the Force need RA more than RA needs them. If the Force choice to go off on their own, then we can entice Japan or Fiji.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was in response to a post that someone made alluding to the fact that we would be worse off if the Force didn't play Super Rugby. I maintain the Force need RA more than RA needs them. If the Force choice to go off on their own, then we can entice Japan or Fiji.

How likely for 2021?

I definitely think RA need Force more than Force need RA. Though on both sides of the equation it is not a black and white polemic. Barring matters unknown, logic suggests Force will return to Super Au with a building relationship with RA.

Part of that relationship is the dance around NSW and Qld power within RA and general administration of the game. How that plays out is a guess but at this stage I don’t see big wins for the Force.

Recruitment, player selection and team make up - on these scores I see RA having close to zilch impact. In the short to medium term at any rate.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RA can run a comp with 4. Easy. Not ideal but easy.
Force can't run a comp with 1.

It's a simple equation.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
RA can run a comp with 4. Easy. Not ideal but easy.
Force can't run a comp with 1.

It's a simple equation.

Others would say the Force comp with 5 (Australia) or they comp with 6 (New Zealand). Agree on the simple equation.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
not complaining about the lack of salary cap. Just the foreign recruitment. If we wanted a team full of forieigners I actually think we'd be better of having Fiji in.

I'm just pointing out the whinging of the Force fans who say they've hampered in recruiting when they can literally sign any player in the world. How many Aussie players have broken contracts because of bigger contracts elsewhere? Why woudn't Twiggy throw a $1M each at Kerevi, McMahon, the Arnolds, Rodda, Hocking, Lucas, Gill, Morahan, etc. No dickheads there. All Aussies with the ability to strengthen the Australian game.

But if you guys think Kahui and Thrush still have something to contribute on the field (after what they did this season gone) then go for your life.
Would love to sign all those guys. I am assuming that there is a reason we aren't. Most likely, those players aren't interested. Maybe because if money is the only motivating factor, it won't be a good medium term decision. Personally, I don't believe in trying to contract someone committed elsewhere.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Would love to sign all those guys. I am assuming that there is a reason we aren't. Most likely, those players aren't interested. Maybe because if money is the only motivating factor, it won't be a good medium term decision. Personally, I don't believe in trying to contract someone committed elsewhere.

Surely also money is an issue? Like Kahui and Thrush will be on nothing close to 1M at the Force. I'm sure Twiggy would love to sign those names but they're priced out.

Alex Ross (28)
Others would say the Force comp with 5 (Australia) or they comp with 6 (New Zealand). Agree on the simple equation.
There is nothing simple about the Force relocating to NZ. I doubt that fits the “make WA Rugby great” mantra. Forrest and Co would have to explain how turning their back on RA is worth giving up playing Rugby in WA.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm just pointing out the whinging of the Force fans who say they've hampered in recruiting when they can literally sign any player in the world. How many Aussie players have broken contracts because of bigger contracts elsewhere? Why woudn't Twiggy throw a $1M each at Kerevi, McMahon, the Arnolds, Rodda, Hocking, Lucas, Gill, Morahan, etc. No dickheads there.
Reg, you're trolling now. It's not your natural game. There are countless better exponents, even on a tame forum such as this. Still, I'm glad you think Rodda and his two ex-Reds mates aren't dickheads. :)

So, the guys you've listed there are good players. Most would be a great signing, but $1M each? Not one of them is worth that by playing soup, mate.

These 3 would be at the top of the payscale:

Arnold the Elder (30)
Rodda (24)
Kerevi (27)

I'd only be interested in paying over the odds for the first two - but that's just me and obviously I have no money. The only way they get near a million bucks per year in Australia is via a large guaranteed Wallaby retainer.

McMahon and Gill? Quality players but they are flankers - of which there are many. Hooper is taking all their quota, and more, which is why they play easy rugby.

Thrush and Kahui are over the hill but will eke out another year. As to the roles they play in 2021, it's wait and see. They'll be fully paid however, which has something to be said about it.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is nothing simple about the Force relocating to NZ. I doubt that fits the “make WA Rugby great” mantra. Forrest and Co would have to explain how turning their back on RA is worth giving up playing Rugby in WA.

What a beat-up.
Only CBV19 travel restrictions in 2020 resulted in the WF having to play every game of SRAu on the East Coast.

The only NZ possibility is 2022 - when most thinking people would consider that CV19 travel restrictions will no longer be with us.
So why wouldn't this be a regular home-and-away competition, probably run 2-weeks about to reduce travel for the WF?
There are even direct flights into NZ from Perth.
That's no different from past Super Rugby seasons.

Alex Ross (28)
What a beat-up.
Only CBV19 travel restrictions in 2020 resulted in the WF having to play every game of SRAu on the East Coast.

The only NZ possibility is 2022 - when most thinking people would consider that CV19 travel restrictions will no longer be with us.
So why wouldn't this be a regular home-and-away competition, probably run 2-weeks about to reduce travel for the WF?
There are even direct flights into NZ from Perth.
That's no different from past Super Rugby seasons.

Do you think that RA will allow the NZ competition to take part on Australian soil if the other 4 teams are not participating? NZ cannot play its competition here without RA approval.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do you think that RA will allow the NZ competition to take part on Australian soil if the other 4 teams are not participating? NZ cannot play its competition here without RA approval.

I'll supply the popcorn should that bunfight unfold.

RA and World Rugby have already approved the GRR initiatives with 3 years of games both home-and-away.
With the Asia-Pacific focus it wouldn't be too hard to see possible involvement in NZ with Bay of Plenty/China Tigers South China Lions , Fiji etc as being part of the GRR initiative and a logical post-CV19 development.

Reactions: dru

Alex Ross (28)
I'll supply the popcorn should that bunfight unfold.

RA and World Rugby have already approved the GRR initiatives with 3 years of games both home-and-away.
With the Asia-Pacific focus it wouldn't be too hard to see possible involvement in NZ with Bay of Plenty/China Tigers, Fiji etc as being part of the GRR initiative and a logical post-CV19 development.

That’s not what people are talking about though, is it? We’re not talking about NZ involvement in GRR, but the Force supposedly turning their back on RA to go it alone with NZ’s 5 Super Rugby sides. Essentially the Force playing in Super Rugby Aotera. That won’t happen on Australian soil.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That’s not what people are talking about though, is it? We’re not talking about NZ involvement in GRR, but the Force supposedly turning their back on RA to go it alone with NZ’s 5 Super Rugby sides. Essentially the Force playing in Super Rugby Aotera. That won’t happen on Australian soil.
Unless GRR just invites a few NZ teams …

Reactions: dru

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

So which people are you talking about?
The NZ latest announcement was NOT for just the WF it was for the possibility of 3-4 teams in addition to their own 5.