• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Alex Ross (28)
So which people are you talking about?
Look no further than who I was replying to. Talking about the Force playing in a 6 team comp with the NZ’s, leaving Australia with just 4 teams in SRAU.
Plenty have assumed that Forrests discussion’s with NZ have been about playing in Super Rugby Aotera instead of standing alongside RA and insisting on a 5 v 5 TT competition.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Plenty have assumed that Forrests discussion’s with NZ have been about playing in Super Rugby Aotera
Never assume, unless varying those assumptions to cover various scenarios.

Otherwise the thinking becomes locked in and — before you know it — you're blind to what could happen.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Having said that, the most straightforward scenario is a 5-team Super Rugby-Au in 2021 which is built upon from there.

There are certain conditions on that happening, though. The pieces are far from being in place. Until they are, alternative scenarios remain.

Reactions: dru

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Look no further than who I was replying to. Talking about the Force playing in a 6 team comp with the NZ’s, leaving Australia with just 4 teams in SRAU.
Plenty have assumed that Forrests discussion’s with NZ have been about playing in Super Rugby Aotera instead of standing alongside RA and insisting on a 5 v 5 TT competition.

Dru and other G&Gers can say what they want - everyone's entitled to their own opinions but the facts speak for themselves.

This appears to lay out the most likely developments for 2021 and 2022 - from a NZ perspective.

The article talks about NZ considering a minimum of 3 teams joining SRAo in 2022 with named teams being a Pacifika Team, Sth China Lions/BoP (with mention of NZ teams traveling to Shangai/Hong Kong), WF and Fiji. (3 of these teams were involved in GRR which also has strong connections with Samoa and Tonga).
The article also says that we may have to wait until 30 Nov to find out.

I hope decisions about SRAu are made well before that date - but I s'pose it's locked up in the broadcast deal.
Wasn't there going to be an announcement by 16 October???

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
not complaining about the lack of salary cap. Just the foreign recruitment. If we wanted a team full of forieigners I actually think we'd be better of having Fiji in.

I'm just pointing out the whinging of the Force fans who say they've hampered in recruiting when they can literally sign any player in the world. How many Aussie players have broken contracts because of bigger contracts elsewhere? Why woudn't Twiggy throw a $1M each at Kerevi, McMahon, the Arnolds, Rodda, Hocking, Lucas, Gill, Morahan, etc. No dickheads there. All Aussies with the ability to strengthen the Australian game.

But if you guys think Kahui and Thrush still have something to contribute on the field (after what they did this season gone) then go for your life.

Reg normally I agree with your comments, but I’m at a loss with these.

Who from the Force is whinging about recruitment been hampered?
If anything they’ve simply asked for players who play in the Force go be eligible for the Wallabies, under the GRR they weren’t.

You’re listing $million dollar players, some of whom are on multi-year contracts and asking why the Force aren’t signing these, have a look at the roster mate, they don’t have million players on there. They aren’t paying that kind of money.

The likes of Kahui, Thrush and Holmes are on a fraction of what McMahon and Kerevi are on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reg normally I agree with your comments, but I’m at a loss with these.

Who from the Force is whinging about recruitment been hampered?
If anything they’ve simply asked for players who play in the Force go be eligible for the Wallabies, under the GRR they weren’t.

You’re listing $million dollar players, some of whom are on multi-year contracts and asking why the Force aren’t signing these, have a look at the roster mate, they don’t have million players on there. They aren’t paying that kind of money.

The likes of Kahui, Thrush and Holmes are on a fraction of what McMahon and Kerevi are on.

To me been clear force not going to pay European money as that is not viable long term business model - hence to me recruitment strategy makes sense

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To me been clear force not going to pay European money as that is not viable long term business model - hence to me recruitment strategy makes sense

Absolutely, especially in the short term where the entire business mode is an unknown, regardless of whether they’re negotiating with NZRU or RA, they have no confirmation of their participation, have no broadcast revenue, and have have little bargaining power with potential sponsors as they don’t even know how they matches will be broadcast.

Realistically I think short term contracts is all they can really offer at this stage, with so many unknowns, not many young aspiring players would be willing to sign long term, nor would the club be willing to make multi-year million commitments. WF current predicament appeals to the older generation trying to squeeze our one or two extra years.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The fact that Force are signing what are in theory better players and according to every one who is in the know cut a bunch of the wider squad (just not announced) would suggest that
1) they are only playing in one comp next year
2) it will be ahigher level comp than GRR based on the required players

Someone knows what that comp is as they are managing to recruit well and I know the squad is back in formal training from the end of October. As NZ said no new teams untill 2022 you would have to think that the only place the Force are playing next year is Super Rugby AU.

There are also not mass defections from the other franchise which would suggest they know stuff we dont

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
There are also not mass defections from the other franchise which would suggest they know stuff we don't

Wait for it......
If RA is unable to get the broadcast deal that they want and the current Aussie franchises can only offer salaries at say 70% of contracts again then, as I understand it, any current contracts are null and void and the players become free agents again.
This is one reason why the current Wallabies squad is being paid at 100% of contracts.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks for your efforts lads and best wishes for your future.

Western force farewell departing players
October 15, 2020

The Western Force would like to extend their utmost gratitude to all departing players for their commitment, passion and hard work during their time with the club.
One player included in this group is long-serving clubman Heath Tessmann.

Read more.......

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Shocked abotu Ferris, Stowers and Jooste.

The first two were close to the forces best before injury struck. Backrow of lee-warner, koteka and stander?

Jooste I didn't think was given that much a of chance.

Also letting go of a lot of locks for a squad pretty thin on timber. Must have some signing on the horizon.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
no word on where any of those guys are going other than?

And was Heath just not re-signed or has he retired?

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Really surprised about all the local guys not getting another gig. Also would have like to seen Stowers and Placid around for longer. Wonder where they are all going?

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Decent 23 starting to shape up. Probably a 10, a lock, and a high quality winger still on my wishlist.

1. Robertson / Wagner
2. Montoya / Ready
3. Longbottom / Holmes
4. Thrush / McCauley
5. Lee-Warner
6. Anstee / Callan
7. Koteka
8. Stander
9. Cubelli
10. ?
11. ?
12. Taefu/Godwin
13. Kuridrani/Kahui
14. Ralston
15. Kearney

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think I there’s a few players from the existing Australian teams who will be looking west, salaries and squad sizes for 2021 will be trimmed at all teams.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great to see that the good news just keeps on coming.....puts currrent recruitment options into context when you consider that WA is fundamentally an AFL state.

Add this to the focus on developing rugby as a sport for 8 government schools in 2021 wih Tatterang providing coaches plus other running expenses for the programme over the next 5 years.

Growing WA rugby talent from the ground up

October 16, 2020
With the historic Super Rugby AU season still fresh in our minds, the Western Force is working hard on ensuring the development of local WA talent for the future as we prepare for an exciting 2021 season.
A new Force Academy structure has been designed to ensure Western Australian players are given the best possible chance to represent WA at the highest level.
High performance manager Anton Zackey, in collaboration with head of rugby Matt Hodgson and RugbyWA, has played a vital role in creating a homegrown focused pathway.

Read more......

Reactions: dru

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Did anyone see the irony for the sign on of Heiburg and Ready the use of the term Firepower. It has been over 10 years.