• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nah that comment wasn’t in the article. Show me where McLennan made that statement just 2 weeks ago.

You’re happy to quote him and use his comments to support the kiwi narrative when it suits, but when it doesn’t he is a media tart who you accuse of lieing.

Rather then carrying on which this name calling rubbish, do you dispute what he has said though Dan, that NZRU is making a mockery of the original premise and the by parachuting in 3 new teams they’re making a mockery of the concept of competitiveness premise?

Have a look at the NZ tv Breakdown programme, and even on here Rugby Nutter commented on his comment. I like him but he does make confusing listening to at times, remember when he clearly stated that NZR had until sept 4th or Aus were going alone?
By the way read , believe this is from same statement and exactly what I quoted?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...per-vision-after-wallabies-defy-depth-critics

I accept your apology :p;)

By the way
if you watch that programme where they talk to Hamish (they all like him) listen what he says at end of interview. And apologies he made the statement 8 days ago not 2 weeks , so you right I was wrong!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have a look at the NZ tv Breakdown programme, and even on here Rugby Nutter commented on his comment. I like him but he does make confusing listening to at times, remember when he clearly stated that NZR had until sept 4th or Aus were going alone?
By the wy read , believe this is from same statement and exactly what I quoted?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...per-vision-after-wallabies-defy-depth-critics

I accept your apology :p;)

Nah that’s not a statement or quote mate, that is what a journalist has added to the article as his own take. What I included were direct quotes of what he said.

Can I ask, do you dispute what he has said, that by NZRU parachuting in 3 new teams they’re making a mockery of original premise of culling Aussie teams to maintain competitiveness

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nah that’s not a statement or quote mate, that is what a journalist has added to the article as his own take. What I included were direct quotes of what he said.

Can I ask, do you dispute what he has said, that by NZRU parachuting in 3 new teams they’re making a mockery of original premise of culling Aussie teams to maintain competitiveness

Have no idea if they are parachuting in 3 teams, I know they after 1 PI tem and 3 have applied.
Glad the article you quoting is accurate and other one isn't though :rolleyes:, could both be journalists making stuff up or could be one been edited. So you watch the you tube video, still want to call me a fibber?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have no idea if they are parachuting in 3 teams, I know they after 1 PI tem and 3 have applied.
Glad the article you quoting is accurate and other one isn't though :rolleyes:, could both be journalists making stuff up or could be one been edited. So you watch the you tube video, still want to call me a fibber?

Mate they clearly identify in news articles when someone has been directly quoted through quotation marks. What you posted wasn’t a quote from the article, it was just the journalist adding their own bit to the overall article. Go back and read it.

No I didn’t watch the whole YouTube video, it’s an hour long and don’t have that luxury, perhaps you could cue us on to exactly what part you’re referring.

Dan, do you honestly not see the hypocrisy in this whole issue. NZRU highlight competitiveness reasons and quality of the competition as reasons why Australia shouldn’t be able to get 5 teams, yet NZRU are now asking for bids for teams which will take years to be competitiv, and will detract from the quality of the overall caliber of the competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mate it is right at the end of Hamish's interview, I don't know how far through, anyway if you have time look otherwise perhaps take my word for it, it is there. But really on the articles I don't really believe either, actually. Anyway I still believe RA should just organise another Super AU comp for next year, and if the relationship is so bad, they have to anyway, as NZR have done, with the hope if borders are open then a cross over comp however it would run. I know that is what NZR are aiming for, or said they are, seems by far the sensible thing to do. Think that allows a plan for 2022 to be made , and perhaps someway of getting some PE money to back an Aus team or 2 to take strain off RA finances.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s a sad day when the application of common sense be considered a ‘big win’

Good news regardless, however I don’t feel NZRU have lost in this arrangement

Would even been more impressed if Impey hadn't said that NZR were hoping for a crossover comp when he made the announcement about new comp a couple of weeks back, and doesn't seem to tie in with Hamish's comments after test last week does it? Sumo is trying quite hard, could be right bit doesn't quite add up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very strange to suggest it's only a win for Aus but it's not a win at all. Who gives a shit about cross-over matches. If you're going to do cross-over matches do a full TT comp ffs.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the idea of the cross over games and not a full TT comp. It brings it closer to keeping the domestic only comps with a cup competition on top of that. Add a handful of Japanese teams and a P1 team in 2022 and suddenly you have 16 teams (4 groups of 4) to compliment SRAU and SRAo

8 games (+ finals) of SRAU
6 games (+ finals) of Asia/Pacific Cup Comp

Group 1

SRAo (1)
SRAU (3)
Top League (3)
Top League (5)

Group 2

SRAU (1)
Top league (2)
SRAo (3)
SRAU (5)

Group 3

Top League (1)
Pacific Islands
SRAU (4)
SRAo (4)

Group 4

SRAo (2)
SRAU (2)
Top League (4)
SRAo (5)

Qtrs

a) Group 1 winner vs Group 2 runners up
b) Group 2 winner vs Group 1 runners up
c) Group 3 winner vs Group 4 runners up
d) Group 4 winner vs Group 3 runners up

Semi

Final

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
8 games (+ finals) of SRAU
6 games (+ finals) of Asia/Pacific Cup Comp

Group 1

SRAo (1)
SRAU (3)
Top League (3)
Top League (5)

Group 2

SRAU (1)
Top league (2)
SRAo (3)
SRAU (5)

Group 3

Top League (1)
Pacific Islands
SRAU (4)
SRAo (4)

Group 4

SRAo (2)
SRAU (2)
Top League (4)
SRAo (5)

Qtrs

a) Group 1 winner vs Group 2 runners up
b) Group 2 winner vs Group 1 runners up
c) Group 3 winner vs Group 4 runners up
d) Group 4 winner vs Group 3 runners up

Semi

Final

Or have both Super Rugby Au and SRA look to go to 6 team structures playing 10 home/away games plus three rounds of finals for 13 weeks plus a AP Cup featuring the 12 teams from both competitions alongside 4 Japanese teams playing over a similar schedule to the one you've suggested.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Or have both Super Rugby Au and SRA look to go to 6 team structures playing 10 home/away games plus three rounds of finals for 13 weeks plus a AP Cup featuring the 12 teams from both competitions alongside 4 Japanese teams playing over a similar schedule to the one you've suggested.

I’d be very happy with a system going forward that starts with domestic comps, then TT in some form. But I don’t see any reason to drop Super Au.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We’re still what, 5 months away? Could easily be a bubble by then.

Yep but do we want a yes we will no we won't scenario. I do believe the separate comps with a crossover is really only option, I wouldn't be surprised if there still no open travel for 6 months or so. One outbreak here or NZ and it will all stop again.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree with preserving the domestic comps for a bit with crossovers after that. The domestic comps had a really positive impact in both countries and should be built upon until they are sure they have reached their used by date. SRAU has been a wonderful morale boost for Australian rugby among the fans and in the media.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
!!!! The domestic comps were temporary solution! How can you run a domestic comp with 8 rounds for a season long competition???

Status
Not open for further replies.