• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
All depends on who does it. Some of the England test pregame shows in the UK are outstanding, what Fox does, not so much.

Agree! Anyone except Foxtel or our current Aussie Rugby broadcast team would be great. Even the American's could do a better pre-show even though would be clueless about the game.

It will suck balls! (as usual sadly).

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
whilst I want the most $ possible from a broadcast agreement to win - I kind of like my Foxtel setup. If Channel 9 win - surely they' do some sort of deal with Fox wouldn't they?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
whilst I want the most $ possible from a broadcast agreement to win - I kind of like my Foxtel setup. If Channel 9 win - surely they' do some sort of deal with Fox wouldn't they?
I missed mine for a day or so, I’ve moved on!

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
yeah but I have a satellite on the roof - connection to netflix via foxtel - enjoy foxtel-go and the kids love it. Connecting to Stan is yet another expense - unless I tell Foxtel I'm leaving coz they don't have rugby anymore - they must be shit scared i reckon

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
so we have some competitive tension.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...y-union-broadcast-rights-20201018-p56654.html
1 superRugby game on FTA and the rest on STAN plus all test matches on 9. ( plus I assume STAN).
I think Fox will come in and trump but good to have 2 bidders.
Will be interesting to see how Channel 10"s second channel went today with the test match - surprised that it wasn't on the main channel but Bathurst is king.

I watched 10 Bold for it... pity it wasnt in HD much better experience last week, but I enjoyed it. I hope Nine win just because a free to air game would be good and I'd watch it, and then getting Stan be cheaper then Kayo and has more interest for me.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The question is, is $30 mil enough to run 4 (or 5, i guess) teams and a TT comp.

If it is, you have to take it - even if Fox offer more. If it's not though, you probably have to push Fox to make a bigger offer.

Raelene's decision to turn fox down initially was another masterstroke from her. Have i ever mentioned how much i hate Phil Kearns?

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the value in the 9 deal is the cross promotion you will likely get. The very thing that currently annoys me about watching 9 shows (the endless cross promotion of 9 content) is exactly what union needs from a PR perspective. For example the coverage of NRL on their news is absolutely disproportionate to the following of league generally and at the cost of almost all other sport. The “value in kind” from reaching more eyeballs at peak times surely makes the 9 bid more attractive and McLennan being an ex-TV guy should know that better than anyone.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the value in the 9 deal is the cross promotion you will likely get. The very thing that currently annoys me about watching 9 shows (the endless cross promotion of 9 content) is exactly what union needs from a PR perspective. For example the coverage of NRL on their news is absolutely disproportionate to the following of league generally and at the cost of almost all other sport. The “value in kind” from reaching more eyeballs at peak times surely makes the 9 bid more attractive and McLennan being an ex-TV guy should know that better than anyone.
I reckon they will match Foxtel offer (and even pay a bit more) as strategically good business for nine/Stan to see what rugby could do for Stan (in particular) and nine with cross promotion - as well as fact they are only offering short term deal.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I imagine the cross promotion will come in the form of a commentary team that features Wendell, Lote, Matt Rogers etc.

I support the move to CH9 and Stan as a positive for the sport but have great fears that I will miss Kearns, which is a scary thought

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Interesting comment about exposure in the print media - surely 9 would see that as a channel to grow the readership of the The Age, SMH etc

I was just reading the same thing. I was wondering if younger fans still read those papers?

Here is the quote in full.
Bould said one concern for the RA Board to change partners could be the ramifications of walking away from Foxtel. Foxtel's major shareholder, News Corp Australia, owns mastheads such as The Australian, The Daily Telegraph and The Herald Sun. Bould said sports have historically been reluctant to walk from Foxtel because it risks walking away from coverage that appears in the mastheads.