• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I really hope Rennie has some amazing data on how Hanigan has been training the house down and can shift rucks like nothing else.
The general consensus was that he had potential but Cheika blooded him too early and too light. A couple of years out of gold, a very good Supe season and 10 kg more, he could actually be ready now

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Keep the same backline, good work.

I really hope Rennie has some amazing data on how Hanigan has been training the house down and can shift rucks like nothing else.
Well, the ruck shifting didn't go so well last week so that's a limited comparator. Not saying Ned will change that, but I suspect his presence might be more for lineouts (and maybe locking combos with swaps etc???). I guess.
Still, very surprising given Samu played pretty well, I thought.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The general consensus was that he had potential but Cheika blooded him too early and too light. A couple of years out of gold, a very good Supe season and 10 kg more, he could actually be ready now

Here's hoping. Good luck to the kid, he's always trained hard so I hope he kills it. Would be great because he has potential to be the 6 we're looking for.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd really rather Wright over Hanigan not sure Ned would give us too much more in the lineout, but would give away a lot around the ruck. I don't mind Hanigan on the bench. I'd be shocked for even Blue blooded Waratahs fan to think Hanigan is going to do more at the breakdown than Wright.

BPA wasn't excellent in the lineout at the start of SRAU but he did have two new locks. So maybe, but I think FF (Folau Fainga'a) is perhaps a bit hard done by.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I am somewhat skeptical of that team. Why not promote Uelese? And Samu went well.

Buuut no issue with the dropping of Fainga'a and Hanigan was good this year. Liam on the bench makes me feel okay about Hanigan starting.

Edit: he could also just be trying guys out.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Big fan of Liam Wright and thought he should have been on the bench last week but his skill is at the defensive breakdown not the attacking one. In fact, his accuracy at the attacking breakdown was quite poor this season. Considering 8/14 penalties came from attacking situations and all the talk has been about breakdown accuracy maybe Hanigan's stats are better (I'm not sure)

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Big fan of Liam Wright and thought he should have been on the bench last week but his skill is at the defensive breakdown not the attacking one. In fact, his accuracy at the attacking breakdown was quite poor this season. Considering 8/14 penalties came from attacking situations and all the talk has been about breakdown accuracy maybe Hanigan's stats are better (I'm not sure)

I think you're right here. Rennie said the biggest let down last week was the attacking breakdown. I assume from that he thinks Hanigan is better than Samu at that without losing anything in line out. From memory Hanigan hits a lot of rucks for cleaning out, but his effectiveness is up for debate.

Still interesting to see he kept Simmons.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's interesting they were happy to move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to 6 for a spell late in the game (when it was more open and there was greater potential to exploit him on the fringes) last week but haven't considered starting him at 6 this week. He would be a good bet to shift bodies at rucks and work as a lineout target.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
93DB188C-E4EE-417A-BA0C-7CCAF0146F17.jpeg

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's interesting they were happy to move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to 6 for a spell late in the game (when it was more open and there was greater potential to exploit him on the fringes) last week but haven't considered starting him at 6 this week. He would be a good bet to shift bodies at rucks and work as a lineout target.

Lack of second row options probs - maybe when we have Skelton back?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, if we had more locking options then I'd be all for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) packing down in different positions, but since we don't he's kinda gotta stay in the row.

Curious they're apparently keeping Simmons in the 23. He would have been the first player off my team sheet.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) had his best test starting in the row. Lock is his position.
I don’t want him to be moved but if you’re looking for a 6 to hit rucks and be a lineout target he’s the man.

Anyway, we’ll see the official team tomorrow. I think what KOB has said makes sense, Wright to start and Ned off the bench, they’ve just got it the wrong way round.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
N=1 here but I recall Hanigan being a really physical ruck pest in that last Reds-Waratahs match. Easy I know when the whole team was running through the Reds, but if he can channel that again I’d be very happy.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah, if we had more locking options then I'd be all for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) packing down in different positions, but since we don't he's kinda gotta stay in the row.

Curious they're apparently keeping Simmons in the 23. He would have been the first player off my team sheet.
Hopefully Simmons has a "19" hanging in front of his eyes all week.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
BPA was excellent around the field during super rugby. Better then Uelese & Fainga'a IMO.

Not confident he’ll improve our lineout though.

Hanigan will help, but I do feel sorry for Samu. Didn’t do much wrong IMO, but I can only assume has made way to strengthen the lineout.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I was a #1 Hanigan hater, mostly because he was too weak and nearly any collision he's going backwards. If he's improved his size/strength and with the Wallabies having more big hitters at the tackle, he could fill a lineout/rucking niche. I think his strength at rucks is getting there early, not bossing people around.

I think I'd still prefer a 36 year old Fardy mind you.