• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hoping these are just rumours for the changes to the teams.
Samu does not deserve to be dropped out of the 23. FF (Folau Fainga'a) had a bad game, would have thought Uelese/ FF (Folau Fainga'a) would have swapped from bench to starting. Think he would click with an all brumbies front row in the second half. Petaia for Lolessio, it was only a matter of time for him to get back into the 23 and Paisami's game on the weekend warrants selection back into 13. Hanigan/ Simmons in the 23? God save us.

Honestly, I have no problems with dropping people after 'one' poor game. There should be ramifications for playing that badly. We'd be able to sympathize with the lineouts being impacted due to the weather and probably the worlds best defensive line out. However, the shit no-look pass which resulted in the try/but thankfully wasn't that FF (Folau Fainga'a) did was where I draw the line.

I'm livid that Simmons retained his bench spot as the final penalty is all on him. But

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
As much as I don’t think Ned is amazing, he and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are our two best tall 6’s. I don’t think Ned is a damaging player but he is quick for his size, consistent and great in the lineout. The balance in the backrow looks a bit better with him there I think.

With Whitelock out and Ned in, we’d really want to be dominating the lineout though and there’s a good chance we could. With the balance in our pack he doesn’t even need to be making big carries or tackles, if he can do well in the rucks and lineouts we should be better served than we were last week. Hopefully.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Makes a lot of sense. The two areas we were poor was ball retention and line outs. Hanigan is built for those two.

More nervous about BPA. I guess if he's having a 'mare he's hooked at halftime.

We've actually got a half decent bench. Our most destructive player is there along with what could be our best front row too. Shouldn't lose any steam in the final 20.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
As much as I don’t think Ned is amazing, he and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are our two best tall 6’s. I don’t think Ned is a damaging player but he is quick for his size, consistent and great in the lineout. The balance in the backrow looks a bit better with him there I think.

With Whitelock out and Ned in, we’d really want to be dominating the lineout though and there’s a good chance we could. With the balance in our pack he doesn’t even need to be making big carries or tackles, if he can do well in the rucks and lineouts we should be better served than we were last week. Hopefully.

I can accept the reasoning for Hanigan starting, with targeting the line-out and all, what I cannot understand is why Rennie has dropped both Samu AND Valentini from the 23 altogether. They are ideal impact players. That 20 jersey belongs to one of them.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can accept the reasoning for Hanigan starting, with targeting the line-out and all, what I cannot understand is why Rennie has dropped both Samu AND Valentini from the 23 altogether. They are ideal impact players. That 20 jersey belongs to one of them.

If they are "ideal impact players" why dont they play like it?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well slight surprises in both teams
Wallabies , I thought they would stick with same team.
ABs well a worry with no Whitelock, and Hodgeman has been going ok, but a surprise anyway.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)

Could be that he intends the starting backrow to play most of the game and Wright is the most versatile injury cover?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He was given a few starts, years ago. Way too early and because we had no depth.

I think if you watched him this season he's actually been pretty good. High work rate, great in the lineout and has added a bit of size and accuracy at the breakdown.

This should really be his debut.

Edit: i hope we don't see too many carries from him though, still think his technique is pretty average.

Well said. Hanigan is unfairly judged as he was brought in way too early. He has been a solid super XV player for a few years now and deserves another shot. He is workhorse who is strong in the set-peice, especially line-out, so this could balance the pack out nicely.

I hope everyone views this as his 'debut'.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If they are "ideal impact players" why dont they play like it?

Samu wore 20 for the Crusaders and was excellent there.

He's a dynamic impact player in the mold of Ardie Savea, should be injected into the game with 20 minutes to go.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Makes a lot of sense. The two areas we were poor was ball retention and line outs. Hanigan is built for those two.

More nervous about BPA. I guess if he's having a 'mare he's hooked at halftime.

We've actually got a half decent bench. Our most destructive player is there along with what could be our best front row too. Shouldn't lose any steam in the final 20.

I agree, I'm more nervous about BPA's line-out throwing. I don't think any of our Hookers are throwing well. I thought Fainga was the most consistant but we all know how that went last match.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
All Blacks team named.

1. Joe Moody (47)
2. Dane Coles (70)
3. Ofa Tu'ungafasi (36)
4. Patrick Tuipulotu (31)
5. Tupou Vaa’i (1)
6. Shannon Frizell (10)
7. Sam Cane (69) (C)
8. Ardie Savea (45)
9. Aaron Smith (93)
10. Richie Mo’unga (18)
11. Caleb Clarke (1)
12. Jack Goodhue (14)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (44)
14. Jordie Barrett (18)
15. Beauden Barrett (84)

16. Codie Taylor (51)
17. Alex Hodgman - debut
18. Nepo Laulala (27)
19. Scott Barrett (36)
20. Hoskins Sotutu (1)
21. TJ Perenara (65)
22. Rieko Ioane (30)
23. Damian McKenzie (24)

Whitelock out and Sotutu still on the bench. So yeah, as a few others predicted, the forwards are still treading water in redemption mode. Just cut out the tinkering around and get Sotutu and Akira in there.

BB and Clarke scare me :(

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I still cant fathom why papailili cant even make the AB squad. He was easily the best loose forward I saw in super rugby

You don't often carry an open side on the bench. With Sam Cane guaranteed at 7 and Savea ahead in the pecking order - can't see him being picked.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So I did some looking and Wright has more tackles per game than Hanigan but broadly speaking they are pretty close.

Player Name
Wallabies Squad​
Primary Position​
Team​
Games Played​
Tries​
Try Assist​
Conversions​
Penalty Goals​
Drop Goals​
Points​
Passes​
Runs​
Meters Run​
Meters per Run​
Clean Breaks​
Defenders Beaten​
Offload​
Turnovers Concided​
Tackles​
Missed Tackles​
Tackle %​
Penalties Conceded​
Yellow Cards​
Red Cards​
N Hanigan
Y
3 Lock
Waratahs
L Wright
Y
4 Backrow
Reds

But I can see Ned being told to tackle his guts out for the first half, then Wright coming in for the final 30. Wilson similar with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) shifting to 8. But who knows.