• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
GPS have been running on fumes for the back end of the season. After starting so well they’ll be disappointed that it was out of their hands whether they qualified for the finals or not. In saying that - now that they’re in I expect them to fire up. This Bond side they face is stronger especially in the forwards than the one from a few weeks ago. They will cause some problems. I’ll tip GPS this weekend but won’t be surprised if Bond get them.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
So what's the opinion on the major and minor semis?

Here is mine for what its worth.

Bond can they keep it going v GPS finals experience. Remember GPS beat Bond only 10 days ago - great effort by Bond to secure their first premier grade finals spot but I think it might be a bridge too far for Bond - GPS by 10.

The loser of the major will be a little concerned about their preliminary final opponent regardless of who it is.

Bulldog, Bond struggled to keep up with GPS's set piece dominance but with the GC boys adding Blyth and Nongorr to their lineup, I think the dominance GPS enjoyed a couple of weeks ago will no longer be there. Hegarty will likely come back in for GPS but I think the Gold Coast mob might get up

J

JeepsTragic

Bulldog, Bond struggled to keep up with GPS's set piece dominance but with the GC boys adding Blyth and Nongorr to their lineup, I think the dominance GPS enjoyed a couple of weeks ago will no longer be there. Hegarty will likely come back in for GPS but I think the Gold Coast mob might get up

Jeeps should also get back Tualima, Jack Straker and maybe JP Smith. The addition of Malolau against Bond made a significant difference to the Jeeps backline, which with the addition of Hegarty should only get better. The week off will only freshen up the rest of the team. GPS to have a comfortable win.

Uni will be smarting after going down to Bond and i expect them to come back hard even wit ASY (Angus Scott-Young) missing from the pack. Easts did it tough against the filth and were a bit lucky. Uni in a tight one.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Here's the tipping table. Happyman managed 3/4 and has a 2 point lead. 4 games to go so it will be hard to catch him.

Happyman 29
Jets 27
Nomad 27
Red Heavy 26
Pick and drive 26
Beerad 25
15manHagar 23
SageToo 23
manwithcaninhand 20
Paty305 20
Dru Spork 19
Cam G 18
NMPCART 18
Hound 16
Benson 16
Heavy Unit 14

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Here's the tipping table. Happyman managed 3/4 and has a 2 point lead. 4 games to go so it will be hard to catch him.

Happyman 29
Jets 27
Nomad 27
Red Heavy 26
Pick and drive 26
Beerad 25
15manHagar 23
SageToo 23
manwithcaninhand 20
Paty305 20
Dru Spork 19
Cam G 18
NMPCART 18
Hound 16
Benson 16
Heavy Unit 14

Jets the same as last year thanks for doing this given that I support the Magpies it has been a tough year to watch.
Don’t worry I can still choke with my usual tipping quality.
Funny thing is the only one I got incorrect was tipping against my team.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Jeeps should also get back Tualima, Jack Straker and maybe JP Smith. The addition of Malolau against Bond made a significant difference to the Jeeps backline, which with the addition of Hegarty should only get better. The week off will only freshen up the rest of the team. GPS to have a comfortable win.

Uni will be smarting after going down to Bond and i expect them to come back hard even wit ASY (Angus Scott-Young) missing from the pack. Easts did it tough against the filth and were a bit lucky. Uni in a tight one.

Good call JT, forgot about Tualima. Straker and Smith are neither here nor there as without them the GPS scrum still demolished Bond Uni last time out but still think Bond had the better of the backline battle. I agree that GPS will get up but not sure about it being comfortable, Bond were very dominant against UQ and were still missing personnel returning this weekend.

Finals is a different ball game and I think UQ will turn up but so will Easts and you could go either way with these two teams however I am picking Easts to turn up and earn automatic qualification to the big dance

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
The QRU confirmed earlier in the week the Doughty Shield (Club Championship) has ended in a draw between Bros and Easts. This is the first time in 88 years the Club Championship has ended in a draw (started in 1932 as R.N.A Cup).

Gordon Rugby Club in Sydney won its first Club Championship in 22 years. This is worthy of mention because Sydney University previously won the last 16 years in a row.

Neville Magee

Stan Wickham (3)
The QRU confirmed earlier in the week the Doughty Shield (Club Championship) has ended in a draw between Bros and Easts. This is the first time in 88 years the Club Championship has ended in a draw (started in 1932 as R.N.A Cup).

Gordon Rugby Club in Sydney won its first Club Championship in 22 years. This is worthy of mention because Sydney University previously won the last 16 years in a row.

Take your pic - great game to watch:
2020 Rd 11 Bros v Easts_Premier Grade (903).jpg
2020 Rd 11 Bros v Easts_Premier Grade (959).jpg

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
Heard ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had the fastest appeal in QPR history tonight?
Ended in the whole case tossed out, cleared to play this week. Sounds like he should've played last week.
Wests should be ashamed of the whole debacle.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Heard ASY (Angus Scott-Young) had the fastest appeal in QPR history tonight?
Ended in the whole case tossed out, cleared to play this week. Sounds like he should've played last week.
Wests should be ashamed of the whole debacle.

Why would Wests be embarrassed of something where there’s a previous precedent where Harry Hockings got 3 games for something similar in super rugby?

Look I don’t know who snitched on ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (I wouldn’t have) but it would of more then likely been picked up during the video review. A good result that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) can now play finals footy. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) served his week suspension and the judiciary threw out the extra week for being a reds player.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is going to have his hands full on Saturday at the breakdown v. Uru, Gunn, Mowen & Milosevic.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Seems common sense prevailed re the ASY (Angus Scott-Young) decision. Do we know who the original presiding judicial officer was? I believe it is all made public. The QRU employ (not sure if volunteer or paid positions) leading Queensland lawyers who have a stake in rugby to make these decisions. There have been some lets say dubious calls made by these blokes over the years.

A number of them sit on higher up panels as well. I recall one of the guys, Paul Tully once gave a South African super rugby player 10 weeks for stomping and it was quickly appealed down to a much lesser punishment. Not sure if he still sits on the judiciary these days but this ASY (Angus Scott-Young) thing may have been up his alley!

J

JeepsTragic

Good call JT, forgot about Tualima. Straker and Smith are neither here nor there as without them the GPS scrum still demolished Bond Uni last time out but still think Bond had the better of the backline battle. I agree that GPS will get up but not sure about it being comfortable, Bond were very dominant against UQ and were still missing personnel returning this weekend.

Finals is a different ball game and I think UQ will turn up but so will Easts and you could go either way with these two teams however I am picking Easts to turn up and earn automatic qualification to the big dance

You are probably right. I am overly optimistic, but am really looking forward to a near full strength GPS team running out. Too bad both Kibble and Giquel are both injured as that would have really made my day. If Hegarty brings any of his Reds form back, then the Jeeps back line should function better. It has been a bit of a dogs breakfast all year.

Do UQ or Easts want to win? The winner of the major semi has lost the last 3 GF's so a loss might be a blessing. It would probably suit Uni more to lose so that they can get some combination with their Reds players before the big dance. Given that they can get over Jeeps or Bond.

Either way, I am looking forward to a great weekend of Rugby.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
He will have some help...

And some pretty handy help too!

The back row battle in the major semi will be epic.

Just as importantly will be the set pieces. Easts towelled up the Uni scrum in round 3 so it will be interesting to see how that plays out tomorrow. Uni beat GPS with an 80th minute scrum penalty against the highly fancied GPS pack.

It should be closer than the last couple of times that they have met in finals footy. The last time these side played the major semi was 2015 when Easts got up in a tight one before the Magpies ran them both down.

It will be serious final footy dominated by the battle up front and defence.

And GPS will have their hands full with the eager bull sharks - I hope that Bond are keeping it calm, otherwise 2020 might be over in a flash.

Think I'll watch the live stream rather than get in the beer line at Ballymore!!

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

The Brother's goal kicker must be feeling pretty ordinary this week as if he'd kicked either of the conversions last Saturday which were both within his ability given his goal kicking form in 2020 then they would have secured a draw, been playing in the minor semi and have won the Doughty Shield by the narrowest of margins.

Who would want to be a goal kicker?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Has Junior Rasolea played for GPS already this season?

Based on the wording in the QPR program "GPS have also been bolstered by the inclusion of some of their Reds representatives this weekend, with Tuania Tualima, Jack Straker and former Western Force and Australian Sevens player Junior Rosalea making their return in the blue and green" I would say he hasn't. Is that allowed with finals? Ben Mowen couldn't play for Easts in the semi last year due to not enough games during normal season.