• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sully, your avatar was scaring me so I had to upgrade it;

white.jpg

There, all better now.
"You'll never be an old man (Dismal)"

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Unfathomable now that a 3x RWC winner has not had the chance to host in 24+ years. SARU have given up on bidding actually after 3 or 4 consecutive failed atrempts at landing the deal. Even after independent research sugfested SA was the best candidate for RWC 2023.

Thanks Japan for your betrayal.
It's quite fathomable given WR (World Rugby) is actually the 'how do we stop these pesky fucken colonies from winning our trophy every god damn time' organization.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gentleman and Ladies (and whomever else may or may not be here).

It is done.

None of us are happy.

In summary:

1. Covid and its social and economic impact and mishandling by authorities in SA is beyond anything anyone here in Aus or NZ can ever imagine. Trust me, you have no idea how bad it is. There is a level of desperation that is beyond anything you will ever see here.
2. SA live under an utterly incompetent government. The state is bankrupt. All administration and systems simply cannot cope.
3. SARU and the coaches were overly cautious. We only know very little of what was going on from scant bits of information in the media. SARU is also a navel gazing organisation that overcomplicates everything. Much like the ARU :)
4. No matter how you look at it, SA players are miles behind AU and NZ in terms of preparation and would have their arse handed to them. I watch all rugby all the time. The mob in SA are NOT fit. The Stormers had a bye. They would have provided more players that the others.
5. Logistics are way more complicated than we think.
6. AU, NZ and ARG have every right to feel betrayed.
7. SA have every right to feel its a bridge too far.
8. The SANZAR unhappy marriage does not help. Too many egos in one room.

I would have loved to see a young, SA only group. No Europe players. They would have done okay. I was ready to be at every game.

Let's chill and enjoy the game tomorrow. I will cheer for Aus.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gentleman and Ladies (and whomever else may or may not be here).

It is done.

None of us are happy.

In summary:

1. Covid and its social and economic impact and mishandling by authorities in SA is beyond anything anyone here in Aus or NZ can ever imagine. Trust me, you have no idea how bad it is. There is a level of desperation that is beyond anything you will ever see here.
2. SA live under an utterly incompetent government. The state is bankrupt. All administration and systems simply cannot cope.
3. SARU and the coaches were overly cautious. We only know very little of what was going on from scant bits of information in the media. SARU is also a navel gazing organisation that overcomplicates everything. Much like the ARU :)
4. No matter how you look at it, SA players are miles behind AU and NZ in terms of preparation and would have their arse handed to them. I watch all rugby all the time. The mob in SA are NOT fit. The Stormers had a bye. They would have provided more players that the others.
5. Logistics are way more complicated than we think.
6. AU, NZ and ARG have every right to feel betrayed.
7. SA have every right to feel its a bridge too far.
8. The SANZAR unhappy marriage does not help. Too many egos in one room.

I would have loved to see a young, SA only group. No Europe players. They would have done okay. I was ready to be at every game.

Let's chill and enjoy the game tomorrow. I will cheer for Aus.

OH FFS I read this all the way through and this is the very last sentence? Would it kill you to use a spoiler?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Given the lack of game time was the major reasoning for South Africa not coming, and their sides are joining Pro14, does this mark the end of their rugby championship participation going forward? Pro14 generally starts at the end of August/start of September, 2 weeks after the start of the Rugby Championship. The other European comps are the same, so the vast majority of there players will have always had next to no game time

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I ask a question, is anyone starting to get like me and thinking it will almost be a relief when season ends?
There certainly on rugby forums seems to be just more dislike and finger pointing at different rugby nations etc than even usual Seems there are more 'victims' of other nations decisions etc than ever before. Personally one of the reasons I follow rugby and have always dones so, is because it is played in different countries , so while that happens we have to realise other countries have perhaps different problems etc, I think it's almost time to put whole season to bed and let everyone reset their minds for next year and perhaps that continual attacks on other countries decisions, whether it NZ ,SA etc is not what supporting sport is about. I am sure SARU whether their decision is right or wrong didn't make it lightly and even if not handled properly (in our opinion) they no doubt did what they believe is best for their players etc which is surely what they meant to do.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^
Ill be happy when Covid ends.

You have a lot of faith in authority figures, Dan.

Not always, I have faith in the fact there has to be processes that everyone needs to do to run things as they think they are meant to. I have been on to many rugby committees and have heard to much uninformed crap from people who don't understand how you have to operate to have to think otherwise.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just watching some of the overnight highlights of SA's super rugby. It's a shame we couldn't find a way to make it work because there is some serious talent.

On a different note, who will be the ref for these games? Do we have any non NZ or Aus refs quarantining?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe the year after also. We all need to be prepared for the worst, unfortunately.

I’m comfortable we will have a vaccine latest 2022; possibly several. The question will change to how many have had it and where things sit with herd immunity. That process and the politics around it will have its bumps.

Might start in 2021 but it won’t be finished before 2022 season.