• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
The Brother's goal kicker must be feeling pretty ordinary this week as if he'd kicked either of the conversions last Saturday which were both within his ability given his goal kicking form in 2020 then they would have secured a draw, been playing in the minor semi and have won the Doughty Shield by the narrowest of margins.

Who would want to be a goal kicker?
Added onto the game v UQ last year where he chose the lineout option instead of a penalty kick, where he had been 100% all day. We all know the history from there.

J

JeepsTragic

I dont think any Reds players would qualify under normal conditions. I would be OK if the rule was no Reds players were allowed back but that would be pretty harsh on guys who were in the reds squad but did not get a run.

Based on the wording in the QPR program "GPS have also been bolstered by the inclusion of some of their Reds representatives this weekend, with Tuania Tualima, Jack Straker and former Western Force and Australian Sevens player Junior Rosalea making their return in the blue and green" I would say he hasn't. Is that allowed with finals? Ben Mowen couldn't play for Easts in the semi last year due to not enough games during normal season.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I dont think any Reds players would qualify under normal conditions. I would be OK if the rule was no Reds players were allowed back but that would be pretty harsh on guys who were in the reds squad but did not get a run.

Reds players are okay, as they have been part of the Qld season even if unable to play earlier. I think the rules are meant to stop parachuting in players from overseas/interstate at the last moment, which is why Mowen missed out last year as he hadn't been back long enough

UQ were deserved winners today over Easts and will be hard to beat - hard to watch at times for Easts supporters but at least we get another chance next week.

Great to see the Easts Womens team win - very strong season.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Reg - yeh I’m confused about Rasolea? He was a GPS boy from way back before he played professionally but not sure how he plays this weekend

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Reds players are okay, as they have been part of the Qld season even if unable to play earlier. I think the rules are meant to stop parachuting in players from overseas/interstate at the last moment, which is why Mowen missed out last year as he hadn't been back long enough

UQ were deserved winners today over Easts and will be hard to beat - hard to watch at times for Easts supporters but at least we get another chance next week.

Great to see the Easts Womens team win - very strong season.
UQ were just to slick. Easts unfortunately lack direction and we’re just holding on. When the forwards are challenged up front there’s no plan B. I’ve said it before they can’t win finals with 15 players and it seems like there coach won’t use the bench. They needed a spark. What is the point in having these guys sit on the bench. He’s the only coach that does it. He used 16 players yesterday. Some serious thinking to do. Frustrating.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
UQ were just to slick. Easts unfortunately lack direction and we’re just holding on. When the forwards are challenged up front there’s no plan B. I’ve said it before they can’t win finals with 15 players and it seems like there coach won’t use the bench. They needed a spark. What is the point in having these guys sit on the bench. He’s the only coach that does it. He used 16 players yesterday. Some serious thinking to do. Frustrating.

With 20 to go it looked like Easts would come over the top they were totally dominating set plays the Uni made some changes which fixed the scrum and easts changed Hooker then it was game over. Great defence on display from both sides, mowen is a machine and Wallis is a monster.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
East’s scrum is their main weapon and it dominated UQ yesterday , but that was the only part of the game where Easts had ascendency.

UQ bettered them in general play all over the park.

UQ played error free for the first 20 minutes and retained a lot of possession, also minimised the set piece as a result took away East’s strength. They finished off the game better than Easts with better use of their bench.

Can now see why Bond troubled Easts during the regular season , they play a similar game plan to what UQ did yesterday , keep ball in hand and minimise stoppages.

Think Easts will be hoping for a GPS victory today .

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
East’s scrum is their main weapon and it dominated UQ yesterday , but that was the only part of the game where Easts had ascendency.

UQ bettered them in general play all over the park.

UQ played error free for the first 20 minutes and retained a lot of possession, also minimised the set piece as a result took away East’s strength. They finished off the game better than Easts with better use of their bench.

Can now see why Bond troubled Easts during the regular season , they play a similar game plan to what UQ did yesterday , keep ball in hand and minimise stoppages.

Think Easts will be hoping for a GPS victory today .
Can’t argue with you there. 1 coach pulling all the strings down there. They have quality sitting on the bench but you have to scratch your head with his thinking. There’s a couple of boys imo struggling but I won’t go there. See what happens next week but if things don’t change then it’s mad Monday at East’s.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Was a little surprised how often Aiden Toua played first receiver in general play yesterday. Seemed like a tactical choice Easts were making . Would have thought he would have had more influence in the wider channels with Frampton distributing at first receiver.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Congrats to Bond with that win today. Rugby is a funny game! What a scrum from their forwards to win it for them.

Not counting them out as they’re coming home strong but geez they may have played their final today, that was a gutsy win. Easts will be chomping at the bit for them. It will be a good game.

Some very questionable decisions from the GPS players today. AJ Alatimu couldn’t kick today, why not slot Hergarty in? FFS the bloke was being picked in the Reds with his goal kicking as main attribute. Turned down loads of easy kickable penalties. And in the final minutes, why keep going wide straight off the scrum penalties? Malolua throwing 30m cutouts. I get they had advantage but you can still keep ball in hand. Also if it had come off, with the kicking woes GPS would have a sideline conversion to win but if they draw, Bond go through. Stupid stuff.

Ahhh well until next year.

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
Can I say that those last 10 mins of the game was the dumbest 10mins of rugby I’ve seen GPS play.
Who denies taking an easy 3 points with 6-7 minutes to go? You’d receive the ball again from the kickoff and then trust your team to get back down there and either score or be rewarded with another penalty - either way would’ve put them in front.
The minutes wasted between scrum resets by the team who needed to score was inexcusable in a Premier Grade final. Yeah we all know that the GPS scrum is their go-to play but surely they had more in their arsenal that just that.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Congrats to Bond with that win today. Rugby is a funny game! What a scrum from their forwards to win it for them.

Not counting them out as they’re coming home strong but geez they may have played their final today, that was a gutsy win. Easts will be chomping at the bit for them. It will be a good game.

Some very questionable decisions from the GPS players today. AJ Alatimu couldn’t kick today, why not slot Hergarty in? FFS the bloke was being picked in the Reds with his goal kicking as main attribute. Turned down loads of easy kickable penalties. And in the final minutes, why keep going wide straight off the scrum penalties? Malolua throwing 30m cutouts. I get they had advantage but you can still keep ball in hand. Also if it had come off, with the kicking woes GPS would have a sideline conversion to win but if they draw, Bond go through. Stupid stuff.

Ahhh well until next year.
Absolutely agree on a lot of those points. However they only needed to score a try (didn’t need the conversion) to go through. It’s the side with most tries firstly I believe. Couple of lower grades came down to this

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
Absolutely agree on a lot of those points. However they only needed to score a try (didn’t need the conversion) to go through. It’s the side with most tries firstly I believe. Couple of lower grades came down to this
Premier Grade has a 10 minute golden point extra time.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Was a little surprised how often Aiden Toua played first receiver in general play yesterday. Seemed like a tactical choice Easts were making . Would have thought he would have had more influence in the wider channels with Frampton distributing at first receiver.
Frampton has struggled to find the form that has made him a potent attacking weapon. I think alot has got to do with the amount of injuries he’s had. Toua slots in at 10 as he’s the only one in the backs with a real sense of game management. Pills struggles a lot with game management hence why he’s getting caught around the ruck. Hopefully they can find some spark.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Can I say that those last 10 mins of the game was the dumbest 10mins of rugby I’ve seen GPS play.
Who denies taking an easy 3 points with 6-7 minutes to go? You’d receive the ball again from the kickoff and then trust your team to get back down there and either score or be rewarded with another penalty - either way would’ve put them in front.
The minutes wasted between scrum resets by the team who needed to score was inexcusable in a Premier Grade final. Yeah we all know that the GPS scrum is their go-to play but surely they had more in their arsenal that just that.

Everyone was talking about how smart the GPS backline would be with their reinforcements back, but none of them could count!!

Massive respect for Mick Richards but that was poor game management. I think you’ll see some fresh coaching blood down at GPS next season. They’ve become a bit of a one trick pony the last few years, big set piece and average backs. But that set piece dominance has whittled away over the last season.

J

JeepsTragic

Congrads to Bond and Uni. Uni were awesome in the first 20 mins and blew Easts off the park.

As its been said above some of the decision making from GPS was less than desirable. Having said that how many times does a scrum need to be packed, penalized and repacked before a penalty try?

I thought Berry had an ordinary game on Saturday and Murphy did not have the courage to award a penalty try at the death. Maybe next week they should give Bond v Easts to one of the regular 1st grade ref's.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Congrads to Bond and Uni. Uni were awesome in the first 20 mins and blew Easts off the park.

As its been said above some of the decision making from GPS was less than desirable. Having said that how many times does a scrum need to be packed, penalized and repacked before a penalty try?

I thought Berry had an ordinary game on Saturday and Murphy did not have the courage to award a penalty try at the death. Maybe next week they should give Bond v Easts to one of the regular 1st grade ref's.

GPS were in line for a penalty try to win the game off that final scrum but Bond just wanted it more.

I was happy with two scrum penalties up to that point, and I think a third in the same situation would have warranted a penalty try. In saying that - even though the scrum was coming apart in both the penalty situations, Malolua had his hands in there way too quickly instead of letting the 8 try and have a crack or recycling it close to the line for some pick and drives. Ah well.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree PC , had Malolua not picked the ball up and left it in the scrum the ref might have been more inclined to award a penality try. The first of the scrum penalties was poorly controlled by the #8, he effectively kicked it back into the GPS scrum. Had the second scrum been controlled at the back and left there , GPS might have been awarded the try.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tipping table after the weekend. I managed 2/2 so closed the gap on Happyman.

Happyman 30
Jets 29
Nomad 28
Red Heavy 27
Pick and drive 27
Beerad 26
15manHagar 23
SageToo 23
manwithcaninhand 21
Paty305 20
Dru Spork 19
Cam G 19