• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 at Eden Park 18/10/20

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ekomn_UW0AszUEs

from twitter dot com /SimonGleave/status/1317908515709722625/photo/1

From the same number of opportunities in the 22 we lost by 20 points.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the major area where the game was lost was the contact zone. Their post contact meters would of been significantly higher than ours. It also took lots of gang tackles to bring players down.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I get nervous butterflies when he shoots up in defence. He pulls off the very occasional good hit but at Super Rugby level (pre covid) and the Internationals so far, he usually is either late and out of the line for the next couple of phases, or leaves a gap that gets exploited (see the lead up to the AB's first try in the second half for one example).
Tell that to Richie M. and Beudy B. Both will be looking for him from this point on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ended up being a 2-on-2 with Hooper, he was never going to gas/step them so I think he took the right option. Staying in position for the cleanout was the real smart play.

We executed on that try so well, from Hanigan's initial break everyone did their jobs perfectly.

Bingo - forwards get it (even if they're soccer players). Backs would have tried to step and got turned over.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Coached as a kid by my favourite Australian 8 (Tim Gavin) and from the way he is going, Wilson could be our GOAT 8.
That is a big call.
Be great for Australian rugby if he exceeds any of Weary Dunlop, John O'Gorman, Tony Shaw, Steve Tunyman, Tim Gavin, Toutai Kefu, and Cliffy Palu (my favourite).
Hope he does.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That is a big call.
Be great for Australian rugby if he exceeds any of Weary Dunlop, John O'Gorman, Tony Shaw, Steve Tunyman, Tim Gavin, Toutai Kefu, and Cliffy Palu (my favourite).
Hope he does.

I recognise 3 of those names. Much easier to be GOAT in my mind when you've been following rugby for a decade!

Reactions: TSR

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That is a big call.
Hope he does.

Mark Loane too maybe? He's got a reasonable case as our greatest 8 ever. I think Harry is going to be very good indeed though.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Was going to say Loane Hornet, he's the best Australian 8 I've seen, with Gavin and Kefu close behind. My recollection of Tony Shaw was mostly at 6, tough too!

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I would be keen to revert back to a similar team from game 1. However having watched the game in full last night again it wasn't as bad as first viewing. Few things pop out:

BB at 15 is a big improvement from D Mac. Our kicking game in game 1 was made better by rubbish weather and putting DMac under pressure. Good weather and BB there plus Clarke affected our willingness to kick a lot I think. Also think BB is a 7 point improvement for the All Blacks from D Mac at 15.

Koro game wasn't as bad as I originally thought. He should have had two tries, a guy with his size and skill shouldn't be getting held up by Mo'unga. If he had scored that one would have been a big boost with lots of minutes left.

Wallabies attack lots its shape/impetus when To'omua came off and didn't seem to figure it out until later in the 2nd half. Think as many have said here JOC (James O'Connor) needs a kicking/play maker at 12 to help him. Think if To'omua can't play in two weeks need to play Lolesio at 12.

Agree that Banks isn't a big threat running out from 15 but he didn't do anything wrong. Would persist with him for another match on Aussie soil with DHP on the bench.

As for Hanigan, I see he has signed a contract in Japan. Based on that alone I would bring back Samu to play 8 and have same back row as game 1. Think if they can gee up Samu to hit the rucks a little harder and more often he is better than Hanigan in general play/with ball in hand. In addition Samu is staying around next season so for looking ahead with the young guys, Samu is better option.

I think the score line flattered the All Blacks a little as they just took their chances much better than Wallabies (nothing changes there).

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty much this, except I actually think Gordon has been pretty decent and coming on with 10-15 mins with all structure lost makes it pretty hard for a halfback. I'd be inclined to start Gordon and bring Tate off the bench.

I think Gordon needs a tad more time. I think his pass is swift and has a bit of no nonsense about him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Gordon needs a tad more time. I think his pass is swift and has a bit of no nonsense about him.

Possibly. But he’s had two. There are other prospects. Maybe it’s time someone tells him “Shit. Or get off the pot.”

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

He's been okay but he isn't what we needed the last 2 matches. He was selected (i think) for this kicking abilities over Tate (or Tate's lack thereof).... only the thing is, we never didn't need to kick in the last 20min both matches, we needed to score points. We needed some spark and some threats, and that man is Tate McDermont in the last 20mins.

Would prefer White to remain starter though. Or even Gordon then Powell before Tate if White isn't an option to start.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Ended up being a 2-on-2 with Hooper, he was never going to gas/step them so I think he took the right option. Staying in position for the cleanout was the real smart play.

We executed on that try so well, from Hanigan's initial break everyone did their jobs perfectly.
Exactly:)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Was pleased to see videos of Wallabies and ABs sharing a beer in the dressing room after the game again. I personally find those as good as highlight videos as I feel a couple of teams are remembering what the game is about.

As an AB supporter after the event and going back over what I thought went well etc.
I was pretty happy with the way the forward pack went kudos to Ardie, PT,Coles (who was pretty good in loose too) ,Hodgeman and I think young Vaii showed he going to be pretty good he only 20 and will have a heap more in him yet,and will probably go back to bench and ease hi way back in with Barrett and Whitelock back, once again I think probably best of pack was Cane, I have never understood a lot of the crap he gets, he is an international 7 more than a Super level one where it a lot more loose.
Backs got better ball so could operate better, Mounga went better this week, whether it just cleaner ball or the fact that BB was making the defence a little jumpy about trying to just cream him I not sure, midfield were good without being brilliant, BB at 15 was bloody good and beat a fair few tackles doing what he does best, I still not sure about JB at 14, and Caleb Clarke?? Hell if anyone said Hey look at me, it was him, I just hope we don't expect the same every week and realise he has still got plenty to learn, though he seems a sensible and likeable kid!

Interesting Dan, thhat had Rennie been coaching the ABs perhaps Ardie, PT, and Mo'unga would have been dropped for Bledisloe 2 because their individual form in Bledisloe 1 was sub-par.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Probably didn't help the ruck was a mess, players were laying on the ball and Gardiner never got on top of stopping it.

Too true. Nic was on more than two or three occasions forced to enter defensive rucks to do the work of the missing backrowerrs. On another occasion he had to physically enter the ruck to retrieve the ball as it was about to be turned over by the ABs. Things that no other halfback in the Wallabies would consider doing. He was one of the stronger performers yesterday.