• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The 9 deal would potentially be a big gamble. My concern is that the ratings aren't to 9's liking and that the matches get moved to 1am Sunday in place of Mash re-runs or some shit. Then 9 dumps rugby when the contract is up and the Foxtel option is no longer there.

I'd really love to know much more about the respective offers. The devil will be in the detail. I'd want at least a 3 year deal from whichever broadcaster they go with.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
With 9 we get FTA, which has been one of the big downsides of Fox, and a lot more exposure in the SMH. Despite Murdoch controlling Fox, they give rugby SFA coverage in the Murdoch papers.
It's a gamble, but as was famously said, the definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
With 9 we get FTA, which has been one of the big downsides of Fox, and a lot more exposure in the SMH. Despite Murdoch controlling Fox, they give rugby SFA coverage in the Murdoch papers.
It's a gamble, but as was famously said, the definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

I thought that was insanity.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I agree Fox is sinking, and views rugby as a cost-cutting target - but is competing with NRL on Channel Nine going to be an improvement? The cross-promotion element is critical, but how much promotion will they do for Super Rugby early in the season when the NRL's starting up?

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I'd say a fair bit if they're aiming for Stan subscriptions.

I agree Fox is sinking, and views rugby as a cost-cutting target - but is competing with NRL on Channel Nine going to be an improvement? The cross-promotion element is critical, but how much promotion will they do for Super Rugby early in the season when the NRL's starting up?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Depends how 9 structure it, they mightn’t see it as competing, rather complementing the NRL coverage.Chanel 9 only have the rights for 3 NRL matches per round, with the other 6 held exclusively by Foxtel.

As long as part of the deal ensure Super Rugby isn’t bumped to GEM or delayed, then it’s certainly a worthwhile deal IMO.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Again we're getting virtually no ads on Fox as it stands, so it can't get any worse.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Real question, is ex Newcorp exec McLellan really going to accept an offer from 9?

I'd hope do. The part of your statement is ex. He now has to do what's best for rugby.

I think that 9 would push rugby hard. If they can get people interested then more people will want Stan and they'll make more money.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Depends how 9 structure it, they mightn’t see it as competing, rather complementing the NRL coverage.Chanel 9 only have the rights for 3 NRL matches per round, with the other 6 held exclusively by Foxtel.

As long as part of the deal ensure Super Rugby isn’t bumped to GEM or delayed, then it’s certainly a worthwhile deal IMO.

Yes, good point - if the Super Rugby game can be scheduled to ensure it doesn't clash with FTA NRL games, there's probably no issue. Nine has Friday night NRL but not Saturday night, amirite?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes, good point - if the Super Rugby game can be scheduled to ensure it doesn't clash with FTA NRL games, there's probably no issue. Nine has Friday night NRL but not Saturday night, amirite?
You are indeed. Hopefully that’s the slot they fill with it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The 9 deal would potentially be a big gamble. My concern is that the ratings aren't to 9's liking and that the matches get moved to 1am Sunday in place of Mash re-runs or some shit. Then 9 dumps rugby when the contract is up and the Foxtel option is no longer there.

I'd really love to know much more about the respective offers. The devil will be in the detail. I'd want at least a 3 year deal from whichever broadcaster they go with.
Foxtel is a dying service so risk of not being there regardless whether we go with Foxtel

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
This is a part of strategic pivot by Nine of how it uses Stan.

Netflix is driving this. Nine know that they can’t beat Netflix and the other international streaming platforms.

But what they do know is local content and that’s sports. If they can pull off the integration of Rugby across its FTA assets and it’s streaming platform - they will know then they can go after bigger sports using the same value proposition.

Fox is a wounded beast - it’s traditional set top box business is both old fashion and expensive. They have a stack of debt (albeit, dent that can be struck off by the boss). They are playing catch up and trying to shift to streaming to keep up with Netflix etc whilst trying to hang on to the margins from the old business.

In short - Nine is doing a trial run for how it would bid for all of the NRL or AFL... or cricket for that matter.

Nine can see a path to heavily compete with Fox for the whole off rights for a code instead of sharing it with Fox. In the process finding a new purpose for Stan.

Rugby should jump aboard.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In short - Nine is doing a trial run for how it would bid for all of the NRL or AFL. or cricket for that matter.

This is like 99% the reason behind their purchase surely. They'll ditch rugby as soon as they can, even if it's somewhat successful.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
This is like 99% the reason behind their purchase surely. They'll ditch rugby as soon as they can, even if it's somewhat successful.

I disagree - I reckon Stan is better off with more sports than just one. The risk for Rugby is being the first. But it’s time RA took a risk.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

NRL is locked Into the current broadcast deal till 2027, and AFL until 2024.
Only the summer sports are open to shift.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
This is a part of strategic pivot by Nine of how it uses Stan.

Netflix is driving this. Nine know that they can’t beat Netflix and the other international streaming platforms.

But what they do know is local content and that’s sports. If they can pull off the integration of Rugby across its FTA assets and it’s streaming platform - they will know then they can go after bigger sports using the same value proposition.

Fox is a wounded beast - it’s traditional set top box business is both old fashion and expensive. They have a stack of debt (albeit, dent that can be struck off by the boss). They are playing catch up and trying to shift to streaming to keep up with Netflix etc whilst trying to hang on to the margins from the old business.

In short - Nine is doing a trial run for how it would bid for all of the NRL or AFL. or cricket for that matter.

Nine can see a path to heavily compete with Fox for the whole off rights for a code instead of sharing it with Fox. In the process finding a new purpose for Stan.

Rugby should jump aboard.

Very very very astute post