• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd agree with Nutter, I'd sooner have a 10 & 12 of Lol'o & O'Connor than O'Connor & Simone. IMO Simone simply isn't ready for Test Footy -- especially against the AB's. Scotland or Argentina sure, but not the All-Blacks, not to start.

Although, I think Rennie has tipped his hand by not playing Lol'o in Beld 1. I think the Hunter/Jordie center pairing is more likely.

From a defense perspective which combination you'd rather field? Lol'o & O'Conner vs O'Conner & Simone.

I'd definitely take the latter.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Oh, no I'd much rather O'Connor at 12 than Simone. O'Connor is a good defender and is capable of organising the defensive line and Lolesio is a capable defender.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tupou to the bench. And tell him to make his fucking tackles and ditch the stupid kicks.

For mine, Lolesio only plays 10 if To'omua is fit and Rennie decides he can do a better job of guiding us around the park than JOC (James O'Connor). He definitely needs the experience, the calm head and the strong defence that To'omua provides next to him. JOC (James O'Connor) did a good job in Bled 1, but I though was a bit disappointing on the weekend. I'm sure Lolesio is potentially a better player, but is he ready for the AB's first up?
If To'omua is out, JOC (James O'Connor) definitely stays, and I would bring Simone straight into 12. Hodge may be a safer call, but also imo a negative one, more trying not to lose than trying to win.
MK had one of the worst I've seen him play, but for mine has enough in the bank to stay in the side, I don't think you'll see that again. At the back Banks is, well, safe as bank ('I'll see myself out) but offers no attacking spark. If DHP is fully fit, I would start him, if not stick with Banks. Maddocks offers that spark, but if the AB's rattle him early it could be a train wreck. Best give him a start against the Argies.
I am starting to come around to BR's idea of starting AAA at tight head and bringing TT on with 30 to go. The rest of the pack would be unchanged, but Samu and Valetini to the bench in place of Wright and Simmons. Hanigan can move to lock if necessary later in the game.

It just makes sense to have the rock on to start and to bring the animal on in the second half. I would do the switch at half time because AAA can always come back on if TT cops an injury in his 40 minutes.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think a Paisami and Petaia centre pairing will be looked at.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a running 10, he isn’t a distributor or tactical kicker, picking these two basically forces him into his weakest parts of his game. Paisami isn’t a distributor or kicking option but would have to be with JOC (James O'Connor). I think we’re more likely to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 or Simone. Even Hodge at 12 would be more likely purely as someone that can put boot to ball.

It’s not going to happen but Karmichael Hunt might be the right foil for JOC (James O'Connor). Can see Godwin getting a call up

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) will be dropped. I'm coming round to the idea that some of the changes after the Wellington game weren't players being straight out dropped for a poor performance but experimentation in a few key areas (back row and front row). We essentially got what we came for in Wellington--extending the series--Eden Park was always going to be the toughest test so may as well use it to experiment.

In Sydney, I'd expect straight substitutions for injured players, e.g. Simone in for To'omua rather than playing others out of position (Paisami at 12), the return of Samu and that's about it.

Could be so, Guts, but then if Aukland was a case of experimentation,Wellington must have been his first choice starting side. Wouldn't he then be more likely to revert to thr Wellington team, with maybe Hanigan in for Simmons who hasbeen invisible or worse in both tests?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To be fair - we Wallabies fans always seem to discount the ABs performance in Game 1 when comparing the two games. If we were 60% they were 20%. They left their best attacking weapon (Clarke) on the bench for most of the game and didn't have Beauden Barrett - his replacement McKenzie was almost Australia's best player.

Yes the Wobs whittled down to probably 40% in Auckland but the ABs were back up to 80 and we kept the score respectable.

Like your narrative Phil. Sorry I don't buy it. Wombs were distinctly worse in every respect in Auckland. I'm with Derpus on this one.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd agree with Nutter, I'd sooner have a 10 & 12 of Lol'o & O'Connor than O'Connor & Simone. IMO Simone simply isn't ready for Test Footy -- especially against the AB's. Scotland or Argentina sure, but not the All-Blacks, not to start.

Although, I think Rennie has tipped his hand by not playing Lol'o in Beld 1. I think the Hunter/Jordie center pairing is more likely.

Simone isnt but Lolesio is? Nah.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Oh, no I'd much rather O'Connor at 12 than Simone. O'Connor is a good defender and is capable of organising the defensive line and Lolesio is a capable defender.

Oh yeah? Didnt seem like it last match. The defensive line went to poo after To'omua left.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
JOC (James O'Connor) is a running 10, he isn’t a distributor or tactical kicker, picking these two basically forces him into his weakest parts of his game. Paisami isn’t a distributor or kicking option but would have to be with JOC (James O'Connor). I think we’re more likely to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 or Simone. Even Hodge at 12 would be more likely purely as someone that can put boot to ball.

Mate what you’ve written is just blatantly incorrect re JOCs play style. Unless you’re referring to him back in say 2010 which would be odd.

Go and look at any of the games JOC (James O'Connor) played 10 in Super Rugby 2020 and the official stats - he literally has on average quadruple the amount of passes as he does runs and only ever is listed as beating a couple of defenders. He’s not the high flying rabbit of years gone by, he’s a pass first 10 who has a decent running game when needed.

Either that or you’re totally correct and he’s a running flyhalf who just happened to take his team to the grand final playing a different game plan. Go figure.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If you're tossing JOC (James O'Connor) out, you leave Noah as the only designated goal kicker on the starting 15. You may as well just give him the Captaincy as well and through even more pressure on such a young bloke.

The Wallabies got caught out playing way too deep and would have done better if they had options coming under James's inside shoulder ala the Digby line. Do that a few times and you'll create more room out wide from Koro and Dangunu as the AB's defensive line will need to hold their man rather than fanning out.

Whether that 12 is Simone or Hunter, I have no real preference. I haven't watched enough of Simone to comment on what he's like, but I'd imagine given his size, he may be worth giving a shot.