• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Could be so, Guts, but then if Aukland was a case of experimentation,Wellington must have been his first choice starting side. Wouldn't he then be more likely to revert to thr Wellington team, with maybe Hanigan in for Simmons who hasbeen invisible or worse in both tests?
Yes, I think the Wellington team with Simone in for To'omua and Petaia in for Paisami is what we’ll see. I would pick Hanigan in place of Simmons on the bench though. BPA probably retains his spot as well.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The Australian is reporting apparently Isi is an option for coming into the squad, when he and Simone play against Argentina in a trial match. And that Stewart is being considered for replacing To'omua (along with Simone).
Sounding like they are unlikely to go with Lol'o at 10 and shuffling the whole backline.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Goodhue will have a field day with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. Look how easy he ran over the top of him for ASmith's try. JOC (James O'Connor) should not play 12 at Test level.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Rennie didn't mention Simone, he was asked about Simone, and actually said Hunter & Jordie were good options too. I personally think he's not ready, he's marginally better than Stewart but I feel like not quite an ideal fit to play next to O'Connor.

No he was asked about Hunters performance and if he was a shot at playing 12 in 2 weeks. His response to that was Hunter was good and we have other solid options at 12 like Irae Simone whos been playing well with the Brumbies.

I'd bet my money Simone is in for To'omua.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No he was asked about Hunters performance and if he was a shot at playing 12 in 2 weeks. His response to that was Hunter was good and we have other solid options at 12 like Irae Simone whos been playing well with the Brumbies.

I'd bet my money Simone is in for To'omua.

I would rather see some combination of players who actually know and trust eachother than playing

White
JOC (James O'Connor)
Koro
Simone
Hunter
Daugunu

They would need name tags at training

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't know how anyone thinking O'Connor would struggle at 12 expects Simone to be any better.

Because JOC (James O'Connor) got steamrolled in defense last match. With Lolesio inside him, They'll be ripe for the picking. Imagine if Laumape is starting. He'll break the line every time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) moving to 12 is definitely an option with Lolesio at 10. I think it is more likely than Paisami starting at 12.

I think Simone starting at 12 is a pretty likely outcome though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No room for Petaia?

Well, yeah, it was more a comment on throwing Simone into the mix - I would prefer to see some reliance in combinations to compensate for the absolute lack of experience

White
JOC (James O'Connor)
Koro
Hunter
Petia
Daugunu
DHP

I would like to see Simone get a run, but outside Lolesio for the same reasons I would also be quite happy to see Kuridrani now brought in for the same reasons (as long as he has stayed off the pies)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) becomes imperative, White too, to maintain a little experience. TK is not the answer. Most likely both Lolesio and Simone will be in the 23.
I would start Simone in between JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia with a view to Lolesio being introduced at some point at either 10 or 12 depending on how the game is going.
Rennie may decide to go with Paisami at 12 and have one of Lolesio or Simone on the bench. He needs to have 13 covered as well but Reece Hodge is good for that too.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
With To'omua gone, expect fewer changes. Lolesio to 10, JOC (James O'Connor) to 12.

That isn't the course of least disruption by any means.

Rennie won't be debuting a 20 year old at 10 in the must-win Bledisloe decider.

The All Blacks would be licking their lips at that 10-12 defensive channel.

Did you see how many tackles O'Conner missed on Sunday? His defense is bad enough at 10.

Simone is a big physical man and an excellent defender. Lolesio is 5 years younger than Simone, 15 kgs lighter and the All Blacks would surely target him at 10 and rattle him early on.

I'm not sure starting young Lolesio and having to shift one of your key leaders in O'Conner to 12 would be wise at all.

Rennie will surely choose the course of least disruption, O'Conner 10, Simone 12, Petaia 13.