• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Last time Channel 9 had the rugby rights they had Ray Hadley commentating games who is hopeless and knows next to nothing about rugby. I'd be careful what you wish for there.

Ah yes. Because the current commentary team have demonstrated a deep understanding of the modern day game of rugby. My favorite is around scrum time, when they call on the expert in Kearns who tells us they get up to tricks in the front row and the tight 5 push really hard.

I would rather Ray Hadley call the game than Kearns. You know why? Because the bloke doesn't just sit there speaking a monotone and tries to at least make a boring passage audibly exciting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Phil Kearns isn't the game caller so that's not really the comparison to make. That's Greg Clark.

My point was purely around the suggestion that a move to another broadcaster shouldn't be done on the basis of thinking that it will result in the commentators improving. It very possibly won't.

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
Heard a great Kearns commentary on Saturday:

Kearns: Geeez, Australia haven't had a any possession

Clarke: Well, they did have a penalty, went for the line out

Kearns: Yeah, bad call

uuuuuuurrrrrrrrggggggggghhhh

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
Hopefully, 9 could grab Bray and Burke - infinitely better

Phil Kearns isn't the game caller so that's not really the comparison to make. That's Greg Clark.

My point was purely around the suggestion that a move to another broadcaster shouldn't be done on the basis of thinking that it will result in the commentators improving. It very possibly won't.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ah yes. Because the current commentary team have demonstrated a deep understanding of the modern day game of rugby. My favorite is around scrum time, when they call on the expert in Kearns who tells us they get up to tricks in the front row and the tight 5 push really hard.

I would rather Ray Hadley call the game than Kearns. You know why? Because the bloke doesn't just sit there speaking a monotone and tries to at least make a boring passage audibly exciting.

He gets real excited every time the dummy half makes a break.........

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The CH 9 deal is imo, a very good deal. Sure, it doesn't quite get the cash we need, but the reality is the previous arrangement was a liquidation deal which declined the value of the asset in return for cash.

Stan is also not exactly an obscure streaming service, it has 2.2 million subscribers at a price range below Foxtel. It's revenue grew 50% YOY to August 2020, compared with Foxtel, which is in structural and cyclical decline. Foxtel's revenue declined by 14% this year alone. It's no secret the entirety of Newscorp Australia is actually in financial trouble and currently reliant on its American arm for liquidity.

Now that he's crucified New zealand rugby, Hamish McLennan should swing west and work on getting Twiggy in the camp with a liquidity deal to restart the comp on a sustainable basis - here's the chance.

One game on Free to Air each week is a great deal and it wouldn't clash with the NRL, and on Channel 9, the number one station at the moment. It's worth noting as well that I think a leading reason for poor television ratings is 10 itself. The station consistently comes fourth, has a garbage news lineup, has limited original programming and is generally an afterthought of television.

I believe a key element of the nine deal is actually in the "contra", as well as the cash. Contra advertising across Nine's radio, television and newspaper business is pretty valuable and worth its weight in gold for the game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really see the nine / Stan deal very good for latter as nature of audience is most would have no qualms signing up for Stan if already have Netflix or really happy to switch to Stan from Netflix to get the rugby. Both options apply to me - ie would entice me to have Stan as well for rugby plus other content or drop Netflix if decide only need one movie streaming service