• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I didn’t like Drew as a commentator, far too many ‘in house’ jokes and sarcastic responses, I’m not interested in listening to someone talking like he is joking around with mates. I want commentators who know what they’re talking about, are able passionate about the game and happy to leave petty politics at the door.

id be interested in one of the 7s girls as a commentator, they’ve done guest pieces from time to time and know their shit, and aren’t bound to the same boys club whinging as some of the male players.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I didn’t like Drew as a commentator, far too many ‘in house’ jokes and sarcastic responses, I’m not interested in listening to someone talking like he is joking around with mates. I want commentators who know what they’re talking about, are able passionate about the game and happy to leave petty politics at the door.

id be interested in one of the 7s girls as a commentator, they’ve done guest pieces from time to time and know their shit, and are bound to the same boys club whinging as some of the male players.

I’d like people who can translate some of the basics into things an NRL or AFL fan can grasp.

If they can also elucidate on laws/variations that dedicated fans can miss, great (think the recent ref discussion on crawling as clarified by Pfitzy).

Finally, if this can involve strategy discussion ala Nick Bishop, perfection.

Tall ask? Why? They are meant to be professionals aren’t they? Completely agree on the matey chat. There is a place for it but was over-stepped at about 1% of what we get now.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I’d like people who can translate some of the basics into things an NRL or AFL fan can grasp.

If they can also elucidate on laws/variations that dedicated fans can miss, great (think the recent ref discussion on crawling as clarified by Pfitzy).

Finally, if this can involve strategy discussion ala Nick Bishop, perfection.

Tall ask? Why? They are meant to be professionals aren’t they? Completely agree on the matey chat. There is a place for it but was over-stepped at about 1% of what we get now.

The NFL games from FOX and CBS have a referee as part of the commentary team, to provide context on some of the Byzantine rules of that game - it works well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You'd think as a commentator on a game you might read the law book, could be beneficial to do the law exam too.

Reactions: dru

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
How many commentators do people see as the ideal amount for a game of footy?

From my view you’d want a former ref, someone about tactics, a former player and maybe someone to tie it together?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Less is more. I prefer main caller, colour commentator alongside him, sideline for injury updates and that's about it. Having a cast of thousands is confusing and makes it seem like a townhall meeting as opposed to a broadcast

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem with trying to add a referee for technical comments in rugby is you don't get the breaks like you do in NFL. There might be a long break for a TMO review but the referee and TMO are talking during that and you want to hear it. In the NFL you don't hear anything until the review has finished which is an ideal time to bring in the referee (Gene Steratore).

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The problem with trying to add a referee for technical comments in rugby is you don't get the breaks like you do in NFL. There might be a long break for a TMO review but the referee and TMO are talking during that and you want to hear it. In the NFL you don't hear anything until the review has finished which is an ideal time to bring in the referee (Gene Steratore).

Not enough breaks in rugby? Sadly, I beg to differ. But I agree fewer commentators are better, and an expert commentator should be an expert.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not enough breaks in rugby? Sadly, I beg to differ. But I agree fewer commentators are better, and an expert commentator should be an expert.

There is also pregame, half time and post game.

We don’t need the “colour” - replace that with actual expertise/knowledge.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It's different though. There's not a long break filled with silence at a time when you'd bring in the laws expert to discuss the technicalities like there is in the NFL.

Some of the times you'd want a referee to explain the technical aspects of a decision you wouldn't reliably have any break to do it in close to the actual play to make it worthwhile.

There is also pregame, half time and post game.

We don’t need the “colour” - replace that with actual expertise/knowledge.

The colour commentator isn't just there to provide humour. That's perhaps a bonus if they're good at it but has never been the core aspect of the role. Their primary job is to provide insight and analysis when there's a break in the play and the game caller stops talking.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...tch-in-strategy-backflip-20201022-p567kr.html

This is very interesting.

Just a FWIW on commentary, you're all focussed on the wrong people like Kearns, Mitchell, Hoiles. It's all about the main caller, guys like Clark, Maloney. And quite frankly they suck.

We need someone like Voss (and I don't like Voss at all but I respect that people love his enthusiasm for the game, just not for me). Maloney is a Voss wannabe and he just irritates me with his idioms.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Maybe rugby should look at going down the AFL path and have some coaches involved in commentary. Phil Mooney has done some club rugby commentary in Brisbane and does a good job.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Isn't it just. Looks like a win win situation for the provider and the sport.

Provider pays the sport less but potentially attracts more viewers and advertising whilst also increasing paid subscriptions. Sport gets wider coverage and attracts more advertising/sponsorship (less reliance on broadcast revenue).

How would RA getting in bed with Foxtel be a win situation? They showed their true colours about the sport and organisation earlier this year. Are you not concerned they'd do the same thing in 3-4 years when the next round of negotiations comes around?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
How would RA getting in bed with Foxtel be a win situation? They showed their true colours about the sport and organisation earlier this year. Are you not concerned they'd do the same thing in 3-4 years when the next round of negotiations comes around?

Ease up turbo. I was talking about the model.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Think he's referring to specifically the freemium stuff.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Could be looking at something like the Aus derbies or Aus local matches are on the freemium channel and NZ matches are on paid channels. Wouldn't mind that at all.