• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Nah - they need to secure funding before they can determine the specifics of what the product will look like. 9 are buying what was already pitched by RA, which was basically just 'whatever Super Rugby ends up looking like'.

The main product with value is always the test matches.

I would be very weary of that model moving forward. okay test rugby is where the money comes from, but have we not learn't anything from Super Rugby, the game needs a higher profile domestically in this country, so to then sign up-to another deal where the broadcaster goes "yeah whatever you throw up domestically is okay with us".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^
Doesn't that make it better? We have the leeway to do what we think is best for the game without being restricted by broadcast rights?

I doubt they would be that vague, though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
the game needs a higher profile domestically in this country, so to then sign up-to another deal where the broadcaster goes "yeah whatever you throw up domestically is okay with us".

Of course it does, but nothing we can offer would make a broadcaster think they are going to get a significant jump in viewer numbers from what has come before it.

Broadcasters will look at previous ratings of test rugby and Super Rugby and the differences between the two and base their valuations off that.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Could be looking at something like the Aus derbies or Aus local matches are on the freemium channel and NZ matches are on paid channels. Wouldn't mind that at all.

Its still not the same as having on a real FTA chanel which picks up casual viewers.

Fox had there FTA association with channel 10, and didnt use it.

Dont fall for this one Hamish

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Broadcast agreements, need clarity beyond the straight dollars and broadcasting.

At either end of the extreme the Nine / Stan could occur.

At best, Nine promote the hell out of rugby have lots of cross over stories, make rugby highly visible. Have a weekly rugby program with a combination of experts and journalist.

At worst, Nine want to bury rugby and hurt Fox. So Nine buy rugby for a low price, put it on late at night aside from the tests, provide little promotion. After a shortest contract hand rugby back in a far weaken position.

The secret is the negotiation pertaining to how the broadcaster treats rugby.

For all their faults of which there are many Fox as a broadcaster has always treated rugby with respect.

So Nine / Stan IMO is a go, as long as we establish, - rugby gets respect and good coverage within the Nine / Stan / Fairfax/ Radio network they have.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I can't see Nine spending the money to not use it. It's win win for them. They get the game at a cheap price and then get more viewers around the game, next time the say to RA we are a true partner looking to grow your sport, unlike other broadcasters you've dealt with in the past, so stick with us at a lower price and you can make money in other areas of the game because more eyes are watching your product.

The devil will be in the detail though. They need new, or younger, talent to deliver the content. I'm a fan of Maloney and Ransome so they could start with them. McArdle does a good job with the magazine type show and pre/post game content.

Saturday night games live on free to air will bring in viewers, as long as the game is promoted to the every man. Rugby is a game of the people and league fans will watch if they don't feel like they're being spoken down to. Also helps is the teams play good footy. Vinivalu may drag a few across fro Reds games. Would be great to get Crichton to the Tah's for viewership too.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's all a grand balancing act, and I expect RA are busy doing their sums. Given the current climate, there would be a huge temptation to take the bigger cash packet and stick with Fox.

A difference of $5m a year may not seem like much but it can mean the difference between, say, paying our women's team or not. Or having a world-class 7s program or not. Or funding 15 DOs around the country.

So how much is FTA exposure for Super Rugby actually worth? That's the big question, as many have identified here. Hard to put a price on it, and given some of the Waratahs signings I can't say I'm super optimistic for the standard of SuperAU in 2021.

It wouldn't shock me if they took the cash and stayed with Fox, and pinned their hopes on treading water until the Lions in 2025 and (fingers crossed) the RWC in 2027.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's all a grand balancing act, and I expect RA are busy doing their sums. Given the current climate, there would be a huge temptation to take the bigger cash packet and stick with Fox.

A difference of $5m a year may not seem like much but it can mean the difference between, say, paying our women's team or not. Or having a world-class 7s program or not. Or funding 15 DOs around the country.

So how much is FTA exposure for Super Rugby actually worth? That's the big question, as many have identified here. Hard to put a price on it, and given some of the Waratahs signings I can't say I'm super optimistic for the standard of SuperAU in 2021.

It wouldn't shock me if they took the cash and stayed with Fox, and pinned their hopes on treading water until the Lions in 2025 and (fingers crossed) the RWC in 2027.
And then gradually sliding back down towards bankruptcy until the next big bail out? Not sold.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No, your healthier bank account means you don't have to sell TV rights to the highest bidder and can take on an FTA deal with less cash but more long-term upside.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In theory, in practice there will probably be another reason we need to stick with the safe option again.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I can't see Nine spending the money to not use it. It's win win for them. They get the game at a cheap price and then get more viewers around the game, next time the say to RA we are a true partner looking to grow your sport, unlike other broadcasters you've dealt with in the past, so stick with us at a lower price and you can make money in other areas of the game because more eyes are watching your product.

The devil will be in the detail though. They need new, or younger, talent to deliver the content. I'm a fan of Maloney and Ransome so they could start with them. McArdle does a good job with the magazine type show and pre/post game content.

Saturday night games live on free to air will bring in viewers, as long as the game is promoted to the every man. Rugby is a game of the people and league fans will watch if they don't feel like they're being spoken down to. Also helps is the teams play good footy. Vinivalu may drag a few across fro Reds games. Would be great to get Crichton to the Tah's for viewership too.
You make a good point that if nine get the Gig would be perfect time to bring more league players with union pedigree back into our game to attract the league fans

Hope nine / Stan deal gets up as chance at least to see what it could offer. They should match what Foxtel offering payment wise despite of course seeking to lowball as nine / Stan have more upside potential then Foxtel in terms of making money from the deal (sure some downside risks but upside outweighed imo and they manage downside risks by short term contract as reported)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

So if force part of this - if FTA so good and supported by twiggy - would twiggy be prepared to cover the difference between Foxtel and nine /Stan cash - as surely would be in twiggy’s interests to have force with FTA exposure. Yes if he stumps up cash comes with conditions but surely would be option here as twiggy been keen for FTA exposure and force as part of this directly benefits.

I would be surprised or more dissappointed if RA not speaking to Twiggy as part of theae negotiations.

Reactions: dru

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
For those concerned about the intentions of Nine, I saw a snippet in an article that might help put your mind at ease.

It was at the bottom of one of the recent SMH articles - it mentioned negotiations were dragging on because Nine had asked RA to help it broker the rights to the Spring tours (which are sold separately into Oz by the northern unions) because it wants to be a one stop shop for wallabies tests....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They still run a rugby show and show the games live and have them on watch in hotels and club contracts.

I have bagged fox for close to 20 years, but equally I acknowledge what they do right as well.
I don’t think Foxtel been a bad partner for rugby but yes time for a change

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For those concerned about the intentions of Nine, I saw a snippet in an article that might help put your mind at ease.

It was at the bottom of one of the recent SMH articles - it mentioned negotiations were dragging on because Nine had asked RA to help it broker the rights to the Spring tours (which are sold separately into Oz by the northern unions) because it wants to be a one stop shop for wallabies tests..

it is not so very surprising that they value the tests, though it is good to see it confirmed, even if by inference. Bigger and more important question how 9 values the Pro level/Super/TT/Domestic games. This question seems to boil down what sort of free access is available.

I go with the desire to see the rugby on the primary channel while, through gritted teeth, acknowledging any secondary channel is superior to open access (limited) Kayo. And both better than no FTA.

Suspect our negotiations should be on the promotion - which needs to target the primary channel.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
it is not so very surprising that they value the tests, though it is good to see it confirmed, even if by inference. Bigger and more important question how 9 values the Pro level/Super/TT/Domestic games. This question seems to boil down what sort of free access is available.

I go with the desire to see the rugby on the primary channel while, through gritted teeth, acknowledging any secondary channel is superior to open access (limited) Kayo. And both better than no FTA.

Suspect our negotiations should be on the promotion - which needs to target the primary channel.
Nine would be seeing private equity investment in northern hemisphere and be hopeful of world league concept to be floated again and nine be at the front seat of this. As this investment would help grow the game and make nine have cheap entry to leverage this growth - I suspect this is why nine getting on board

Reactions: dru