• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I subscribe to the Ben Darwin theory of cohesion and for me bringing in blokes like Wykes and Sam Caird who have no connection to any of the players already there is just madness and incredibly reckless in my opinion. I would pay overs to keep Staniforth and McCauley, as much because they've been at the place for the last three years (keep some continuity).

Right now the Tahs are sending a message to their own loyal homegrown players like Newsome, J Gordon and Johnson-Holmes that they'd rather prioritise bringing in an unknown kiwi lock than hang onto one of their mates (Staniforth and McCauley etc.) that they've played a lot of rugby with.

No need to spend money on Maddocks, Donaldson can play fullback. Hugh Sinclair is the best player in the Shute Shield right now and can fill Dempsey's shoes and Will Harris needs an opportunity. Swinton, H Sinclair, W Harris backrow.

Pay overs for Beanpole and Staniforth??? Funniest thing I have heard in ages

They have been here for ages and sucked

Alex Ross (28)
Right now the Tahs are sending a message to their own loyal homegrown players like Newsome, J Gordon and Johnson-Holmes that they'd rather prioritise bringing in an unknown kiwi lock than hang onto one of their mates.

Actually, I think it sends the message that if your not up to it we’re not going to keep paying your rent for you to be unable to fill the role you are employed to do just cause you’re mates with the rest of the guys. No good all being mates if you keep losing.

This isn’t stamp collecting club. It’s a professional enterprise.

P.S. If Hugh Sinclair is the best player in SS, then the days of SS serving as the entry to Super Rugb are long gone. The quality is abysmal if he is the yardstick. He’s been not good enough for Super Rugby for many years.

P.P.S. You overvalue cohesion. If it topped all else than we might as well just field whichever Super Rugby side comes out top each year as the Wallabies.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
P.P.S. You overvalue cohesion. If it topped all else than we might as well just field whichever Super Rugby side comes out top each year as the Wallabies.

Great example of cohesion was the Northern Suburbs v Sydney Uni game on the weekend. In particular, the Norths 9-10-12-13 combination has been together for a long time. In terms of playing talent Sydney Uni has it all over Norths but Norths won.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I can't support the Tahs anymore. The squad management has been terrible.

I would've liked this squad of 32 for 2021 (keeping in mind their low salary cap thing):
Johnson-Holmes, C Talakai, T Robertson, A Bell, T Faulkner, T Tauakaipulu or D Breen
R Abel, T Horton, J Cotton
T Staniforth, R McCauley, C Vest, M Douglas, J Williams
Swinton, C Tizzano, H Sinclair, W Harris, C Gamble
J Gordon, M Short, J Grant or H Goddard
W Harrison, B Donaldson, T Edmed
T Moeroa, J Walton, Foketi, Newsome
Nawaqanitawase, J Ramm, T Reilly

Should've spent the money on keeping T Robertson, Staniforth and McCauley rather than Porecki, Wykes, Caird, Dempsey and Maddocks because tight-five (particularly locks) is more important. Prioritise keeping your locks not spending money on loose forwards and outside backs. It's easier to find a loose forward or an outside back in the Shute Shield than it is to find a lock.
You've been sucking up to the Reds fans claiming support them over us well before the financial fueled exodus. See ya

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I can't support the Tahs anymore. The squad management has been terrible.

I would've liked this squad of 32 for 2021 (keeping in mind their low salary cap thing):
Johnson-Holmes, C Talakai, T Robertson, A Bell, T Faulkner, T Tauakaipulu or D Breen
R Abel, T Horton, J Cotton
T Staniforth, R McCauley, C Vest, M Douglas, J Williams
Swinton, C Tizzano, H Sinclair, W Harris, C Gamble
J Gordon, M Short, J Grant or H Goddard
W Harrison, B Donaldson, T Edmed
T Moeroa, J Walton, Foketi, Newsome
Nawaqanitawase, J Ramm, T Reilly

Should've spent the money on keeping T Robertson, Staniforth and McCauley rather than Porecki, Wykes, Caird, Dempsey and Maddocks because tight-five (particularly locks) is more important. Prioritise keeping your locks not spending money on loose forwards and outside backs. It's easier to find a loose forward or an outside back in the Shute Shield than it is to find a lock.
You lost me at McCauley..

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It used to be props that had to be lined up early, right now it’s second rowers. Financial woes here are concerning and repercussions are understandable - but surely everyone would be more comfortable right now if tight 5 recruitment was further advanced?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I subscribe to the Ben Darwin theory of cohesion and for me bringing in blokes like Wykes and Sam Caird who have no connection to any of the players already there is just madness and incredibly reckless in my opinion. I would pay overs to keep Staniforth and McCauley, as much because they've been at the place .
Seems like you don’t really even understand this (statistically pretty flimsy) theory. How can they contribute to any form of cohesiveness when they’ve hardly been on the field as part of the team. That cohesiveness is about keeping together core combinations of your starting team- not fringe squad members

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I believe the cohesion theory has some merit but equally we have been hoodwinked in rugby circles that it’s more than meets the eye. If it wasn’t Ben Darwin and his links to rugby, it would have half the fan fare associated with it. For me the Tahs current roster has a potential of around 7/10, they have been playing at a 5/10 level. Cohesion could see them play at the 7/10 level, but no matter how cohesive they can be they will never reach anything more than that 7/10 level. Personally would rather a squad with greater potential and then build the cohesiveness within that environment.

A great case study of this would be if each squad remained throughout the duration of a 4/5yr span, would the Crusaders still be the best team in 4/5yrs or would other teams building cohesion mean they end up their equals? That way we could find out if teams are winning because they are cohesive (cohesion) or are teams cohesive because they win (talent).

Looks like the Tahs are keeping the players that matter and chopping the players that aren’t going to propel the squad into anything more than mid table plodders.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I know it is probably a pipe dream with the current coin but I did note in my internet trawling that Hugh Pyle and Dave Dennis are out of contract...Solid stop gaps while the youth develops?

Alex Ross (28)
I know it is probably a pipe dream with the current coin but I did note in my internet trawling that Hugh Pyle and Dave Dennis are out of contract.Solid stop gaps while the youth develops?

Hugh Pyle in an interview earlier in the year said the thought of playing Super Rugby was not appealing at all. All the travel, plus the uncertainty. If we can lock in a TT comp that will help on both fronts with making a return to AU more appealing for lots of players with kids etc, not looking to be flying all over the place.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Plus if he is out of contract and no one else is offering he’ll possibly find the travel far more appealing.